Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Aloha ʻoe, Bob Brozman
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2013 :  09:04:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I just read that Bob Brozman has passed away. Can anyone confirm?

I know that many of us have been touched by Bob and his music. IMHO, few people have as much musical passion and energy. What a huge loss to the musical community not only as a player but as an ethnomusicologist and historian. RIP Bob. You will be missed.

Andy

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2013 :  09:12:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.santacruz.com/news/2013/04/25/santa_cruz_music_icon_bob_brozman_dies

Andy
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2013 :  10:37:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

I know that many of us have been touched by Bob and his music. IMHO, few people have as much musical passion and energy. What a huge loss to the musical community not only as a player but as an ethnomusicologist and historian. RIP Bob. You will be missed.

Well said and quite an understatement. Bob will be very much missed. I saw him and chatted with him briefly at a Led Kaapana concert in Felton, CA where Bob lived, just a few weeks ago. What a dynamic person.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2013 :  2:34:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a loss for the music community! I saw Bob on a few occasions in Seattle and talked with him on the phone once. An old friend saw him in Port Townsend and said that it was a good thing Bob played a National because if he played with such verve on a wooden guitar, he'd just have strings and sawdust at the end! Bob kept a lot of good, important music current by playing it with enthusiasm. We miss you, Bob!
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2013 :  4:42:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's so difficult to comprehend. Bob lived in the next town over, but we mostly met up with him at George Kahumoku's workshop. Now and then I would run into him at the gas station or the plant nursery, and it seems impossible that he's gone at such a young age. My heart goes out to Haley, I know they were very much in love, and he did enjoy doing her dishes. One of his quirky sayings was: "no man was ever shot in the back while doing the dishes!"

Po'ina 'ole 'ia Lopaka...

Julie
Go to Top of Page

guitar yogi
Akahai

Kiribati
67 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2013 :  7:40:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob was a guitarist's guitarist, a virtuoso musician who loved to push the envelope every time he played. He was a supreme master of improvisation. His recordings with Cyril and Led are among my favorite albums. It was through Bob that I was introduced to Hawaiian music and he helped me to see the strong connection between blues guitar and Hawaiian guitar. He was a great teacher and had a wonderful sense of humor. Aloha Bob...
Go to Top of Page

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2013 :  06:32:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terrible news....RIP Bob.

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2013 :  06:42:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob was a close musical associate of my Seattle friends, the Canote Brothers (also originally from Santa Cruz). For a while, we were in negotiations to have him become a semi-regular member of our house band on "Potluck," the weekly live-performance public-radio show we syndicated from Seattle for eleven years. It never came to fruition, but I was pleased to get to know Bob during that time. Too damn young - so glad he was driven to make so much music in so many styles in his brief time among us.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2013 :  07:59:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I am simply in shock and deeply sad. I helped produce a CD with Bob and George a few years back (Kani Wai) and had fairly close interaction with Him and Haley on that project. And of course, he was out at George's Workshop every few years, and I remember especially the time he played such sweet music for Tau Moe when Tau passed away (which I think was "Ua Like No A Like").

I will miss him and his unique personality very much. My thoughts go out to Haley and the family at this time.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2013 :  09:47:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He will be missed, indeed. Bob was an ardent advocate for pre-electric Hawaiian and mainland steel guitar. I enjoyed his playing and enthusiasm. I believe that each of us has a finite allowance of heartbeats, then we're done. Bob lived at an incredible rate of speed, and so he's gone early. I met him on several occasions and participated in a steel guitar workshop at a festival when I was playing pedal steel. We got along fine, even though our approaches to the steel were radically different. Aloha Oe, Bob, and Bon Voyage to the next great adventure!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2013 :  10:01:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This one hurts...
Karen and I are deeply shaken. Just found out a few minutes ago, so a little slow in seeing this, and responding.

We remember Bob as such a great friend and teacher to all of us wannabe's--a great musical friend and Ambassador of Aloha. His vibrant, creative energy and Aloha spririt, were always evident--
whether at camp, on stage and on recordings--it was always world-class.
Times shared were a great gift to all of us who are blessed with his teaching, classes and concerts. He taught as well as he played, breaking down to basic elements, with infinite patience.
Deeply Missed. Thanks for the gifts of teaching and patience with us. Our thoughts are with Haley, George, Nancy, Led and all who love his boundless energy and abundant, beautiful playing, unbelievable knowledge, and practice of Aloha.

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2013 :  10:05:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So much sadness. According to collaborator & producer Daniel Thomas, Brozman "took his own life. He said he was dissolving before his own eyes, and he was devastated by the loss. He struggled to imagine his life without an instrument in his hands."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/apr/28/bob-brozman
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2013 :  10:44:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting Gregg.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  5:26:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

After hearing about Bob's passing on Thursday, and having co-produced two albums featuring Bob, I spent the day Friday and Saturday preparing some material for broadcast on local Radio stations. KKUP featured a small spot for Bob, but more importantly, Dore Stein, host of the widely received Tangents radio program (Tangents.com), featured Bob for the first hour and a half of his radio program.

Here is a link to play an archived copy of the show (available till this next Saturday):
(Click on the TANGENTS link about 3/4 the way down the list)

http://kalw.drupal.publicbroadcasting.net/local-music-player

Here is a link to the playlist:

http://www.tangents.com/playlists/

Dore "encouraged" me to play co-host (at least in regard to Bob's Hawaiian music stuff).

I am still very sad and will be for some time, I have had a few great experiences with Bob and his uniquely magnificent nature.

Sorry I am slow to post this, but I am in overload for several reasons these daze.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  7:55:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/02/arts/music/bob-brozman-guitarist-is-dead-at-59.html?smid=tw-nytimesarts&seid=auto&_r=0

NY Times article by Jon Pareles
Go to Top of Page

kihoaluatl
Akahai

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  8:13:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Such a tragic loss, I pray for his family and hope that they can find peace in the legacy he leaves behind. Bob's playing is what inspired me to learn slide. His passing is felt even here in the South.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000