Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 In The Real Old Style
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

laupahoehoeboy
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  09:03:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[black]
Aloha,
I need to learn Keola Beamerʻs "In The Real Old Style" so I can accompany a
local halau. Does anyone have a tab for this song? Or at least the tuning in which its normally played? Not playing for money, only Aloha. Mahalo nui loa for any help you can give.

Uncle Kawika

ukrazy
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  11:10:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the sheet music version from the book "The Hawaiian Sheet Music Collection. In it the song is in standard tuning. Key of C. The verse progression goes from C to G7sus two beats each, all the way to "And he'd [Bb]play in the [F]real old [C]style.
The bridge progression runs 8 bars. Chords are F, C, G7sus, Dm, C, G7sus, F, C, G7sus, Dm, G. You could simplfy the bridge and leave out the G7sus chords. I'd probably transpose it to G and play it in taropatch capoed up to A.
Go to Top of Page

laupahoehoeboy
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2013 :  04:35:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo Nui ukrazy.
I actually own that book! Thanks so much for pointing out a source for the sheet music. That G7sus is an integral part of the sound of the accompaniment so no matter how I play the tune, standard or ki ho'alu, I'll include it.
Me ke aloha pumehana,
Uncle Kawika
Go to Top of Page

ukrazy
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2013 :  06:38:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David, I should be thanking you. You reminded me that I had that book. It's been put away for for a long time. I worked on that song some yesterday and came up with a dead simple taropatch version. Tried several things for the bulk of the verse and for me alternating between G-000005 and D7-000534 duplicates the sound of the C and G7sus pretty fair. For the bridge I use first position C, G, Am, and G. After singing "in the real old style" a quick 1,2,&3 chime at the 12th. sounds cool.

BTW I love going to the park there at Laupahoehoe. Last fall we took a lunch, and I played my uke under those big trees by the water.
Go to Top of Page

laupahoehoeboy
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2013 :  10:43:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it is a beautiful spot. If you get a chance, check out Braddah Smitty's Laupahoehoe Music Festival. It's usually held sometime in the spring.
I'll check out that taro patch arrangement your suggesting.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000