Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 New Free Tablature
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ozzie
Aloha

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2013 :  2:35:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Slack Key #2 (Mahina's Trot)" by my kumu Sonny Chillingworth is now available for free downloading on my website. One aspect of Sonny's unique style was his use of a syncopated bass line and this song will help you learn it. Mahina is Sonny's daughter and I remember Miki as just a little one when I started lessons with Sonny. I still need to post audio clips for the tabs but they are both recorded by Sonny on one of his Dancing Cat CDs if you need to reference the timing. If you don't already know, I do not read music so there is no time value in my tablatures.

http://www.ozziekotani.com/slack-key-tablature/

Hope some of you will enjoy learning this great piece. Aloha!

Ozzie

Curtis
Aloha

17 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2013 :  3:36:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo !
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2013 :  11:00:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Super-Mahalo!
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  05:58:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mahalo Nui Loa!

Lee
Go to Top of Page

akinoguy
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2013 :  7:58:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for posting these - the more I play the more I learn
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2013 :  08:13:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Ozzie! I'm coming to Oahu on Tuesday. I'm bringing my 000-28, and I'd like some slack key lessons. I'll give you a call on Wednesday.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Ozzie
Aloha

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2013 :  4:32:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're all very welcome and I hope to keep posting a tab of the month or something like that. Slipry1 is that you Jack or Kory? I'm just getting over a cold but should be okay later in the week. Sorry but I've never learned who is who with all the tags - I must know some of you! Just a quick note, a syncopated bass line is not the same as a doubled up bass like I use in Ewalu which is more like a pahu rhythm. Watch the pinches to get it right and you'll start to feel the pulse. Also, any syncopated bass line can be changed back to just alternating - you'll have 4 bases per measure instead of 3. Try it out for fun and a timing challenge!

Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  05:38:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oz - It's Jack. I'm starting to play slack key.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Ozzie
Aloha

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2013 :  06:42:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jack,

It will be easy for me then. Happy to share whatever you want to see! Hope I'm all better when you're here.

Aloha

Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

angelavillani
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2013 :  09:41:45 AM  Show Profile  Send angelavillani an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Ozzie, for posting this new tablature on your site. Your tabs are always good to work with!

Angela
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2013 :  6:25:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha fellow 'Patchers. I just uploaded "Mahina's Trot aka Slack Key #2" to my YouTube channel. I put it up mainly as an audio reference for my haumana. It's based on the same tablature that Ozzie is offering as a free download from his website. I guess it's come full circle. Sonny's composition, Ozzie's tab. played by Ozzie's haumana**Me*** to you guys, the potential tab recipients. Too cool

"Mahina's Trot aka Slack Key #2" Sonny Chillingworth cover.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnD-eKkunLM

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

Ozzie
Aloha

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2013 :  8:25:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job Duke! Thanks for sharing and keeping the tradition going and providing a perfect supplement to my tab of Sonny's composition. I'm sure this will help others. Mahalo nui loa.

Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

parotatch
Aloha

37 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2013 :  10:54:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo for the tab O.K.!
Duke thanks for sharing that tune.
Go to Top of Page

DaveBj
Aloha

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2013 :  2:08:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo, Ozzie. Your book came in the mail two days ago (via Amazon), got my classical tuned to Taropatch, and hopefully I'll have some time this weekend to get started. "Mahina's Trot" has been printed, but will have to wait until I have some of the simpler stuff under my belt :D

DaveBj

Signature block under construction
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000