Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Sons of Hawaii- 50 years!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Larry Miller
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2013 :  04:22:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been 50 years since Gabby released the first Sons of Hawaii album. With this landmark recording, he and his friends took Hawaiian music in a different direction, and laid the groundwork for the music being done as an authentic folk music, in contrast to the Waikiki tourist versions of these fine old songs. The intimate acoustic "Ohana" style is still a strong influence today, thanks to Gabby- Mahalo nui loa!

Whee ha!

Larry M

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2013 :  08:01:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great post Larry, couldn't agree with you more.

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2013 :  6:38:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Small correction about that wonderful release -- it was Eddie Kamae who formed (and has copyrighted) "Eddie Kamae & The Sons of Hawai`i", wisely inviting Gabby Pahinui to be part of the original gang.

So when you hear someone mention "Sons of Hawai`i" recordings, gently inform them that the group's official name was -- and will always be -- "Eddie Kamae and The Sons of Hawai`i"

Gotta give credit, where credit is due...

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  06:38:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Was the first Sons of Hawaiʻi album in 1960?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2013 :  07:22:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My files indicate it was this one -- released on vinyl in 1961, subsequently re-mastered and released on CD later:

http://www.mele.com/music/artist/gabby+pahinui+%26+sons+of+hawai%60i/gabby+pahinui+with+the+sons+of+hawai%60i/

I'll call Myrna later today -- will post correction, if she tells me so.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2013 :  09:18:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From what I've read, Eddie couldn't put his name on the first album (Hula H503, 1962) because of a contractual conflict, and the jacket and label copy identified the group as "Gabby Pahinui with the Sons of Hawaii." (I have at the LP before me right now.) The next album, "Music of Old Hawaii" (Hula HS 506, 1964) drops Gabby as nominal front man and credits Sons of Hawaii, as does the "Folk Music of Hawai`i" box set (Panini 1001, 1971). The first example of the "Eddie Kamae and" formulation is on "This Is Eddie Kamae and the Sons of Hawai`i" (Hula HS 513, 1965), which features Atta on guitar and Robert Larrison on vocals instead of Gabby.

According to the account in Hawaiian Son, the band didn't have a name when it started gigging at the Sandbox--"they simply said they were 'Gabby's group'" (p. 36). The band name was established by that first Hula LP (see Hawaiian Son, pp. 52-53). It's pretty clear from the book that Gabby was the performing/charismatic (but not always reliable) front man and Eddie was the grownup who kept track of logistics and organizational stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  03:19:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first album is still one of my favorite albums of all time. Thanks to all of the Sons for making such vital music for half a century and here's to another 50 years!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000