Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 trying to remember/list Bob Brozman's teachings...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  08:17:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At George's camp, he did a great workshop, (Slack Key bag of tricks or something).
also a great rhythm workshop that had the "trained" musicians going, "how did that go'?
and what else?
well, he had a old ukulele video, in the older, higher tuning (A, D, F#, B)

and was a BIG presence and assist on Led's slack key video --which also had some ukulele stuff...I call it the "dumb genius" who points out, "hey, I notice your doing something right there...and of course he already knew, but as a great instructor would point it out for the truly struggling novices!

I know many lucky folks are still in Hawaii and/or recovering from camp...

but if there's other ideas, ,memories or especially dvd or maybe you tube of Bob Brozman's work that is preserved, well I'm interested.

It might be another way to carry his spirit and love of sharing/teaching with us farther along.

I know there's more...and if it's commercially available, I'd likely go for any in the Hawaiian genre.
But the one I'd like to go back in time and visit right now is the "slack key bag of tricks" or whatever it was called.
I remember a couple of the hot licks and such, but forgot too many.
IF you have thoughts, links, remember some dvd's or videos of Bob, or Bob helping others on their teaching videos, you tubes, or perhaps, I dream, some priceless footage from camp or a workshop, etc.

Please share anything you've got, (unless there's a need for discretion in sharing something).

But besides playing like a monster, one of the great things Bob did was teach, teach, teach.
And with INFINITE patience, and knowledge of how to go slow and dumb it down when needed--which was most of the time!.

***Well, upon checking there's a slew of Bob on you tube....
but if any get missed, chip in.
We miss you Bob.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 06/26/2013 11:28:49 AM

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  06:08:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TOOLBOX! Based on the Ukulele videos offered at Bob's website, the term rang a bell, and believe that was the term used, NOT 'bag of tricks'.

So at camp he taught a "slack key toolbox" workshop.
Turnarounds, licks, etc. to give the player more ways to keep the music flowing from the fingers and mind.

Unfortunately, his website only offers Ukulele Toolbox videos, Vol. 1 and 2--
no slack key toolbox seen.
May try out one of the ukulele toolboxes...assume those are taught with high G ukulele.

and I know the older ukulele video ("Hawaiian and American Styles") was taught in the old 'D" tuning.
which was a little inconvenient-- was trying to capo, then to slow down the DVD!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000