Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 I miss da ol' patch
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2014 :  5:22:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh, you guys dat stay lurking. You rememba da ol' kine good fun us guys wen have in "da olden days"? Jus' saying. Tech stuffs change but still had good fun. T'anks, eh, Andy!

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2014 :  07:23:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amen!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2014 :  12:48:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I miss it too. That time is past though, and we have moved on. However, that does not mean that our passion for this music has diminished, or has been set aside. The circumstances surrounding the evolution of TP have changed. The demographic has grown older – most were old to begin with. But, it is difficult for any entity, such as TP, to be self sustaining for any period of time. It takes a lot of effort from people who have a common bond to keep things going. There were some good times and exchanges and new friends made. Many of the relationships continue today.

But with the internet discourse being what it is one cannot always expect responsible conduct. There were a few brief periods when common decency and respect got thrown out the window. Sometimes it got so ugly I had to wonder whether or not the antogonists truely felt that they could write anything that they wanted to without consequences. The rants empowered them. And of course the real consequences were that people just got tired of the same old beefs and petty grievances. And tuned out of TP.

Another aspect to maintaing viability is that there needed to be new blood coming in and new ideas. Although the membership grew, it was at a very slow pace with very few young people, Should we have cross linked with other websites or advertised? And as far as new ideas? I ask, did we even come up with any? My two cents.

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2014 :  6:46:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Me too. Sometimes, I look back at the archives when searching for an old topic. It is fun reading all the sharing that was going on.

Technology changed. I have grown my family so don't have as much time to develop the website. Then, as Peter alludes to, how many young people are playing slack key or Hawaiian music these days?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2014 :  07:17:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like many others, I too have been disappointed TP appears to be losing its viability. Then again, we all need to be part of the solution.

When the Aloha Music Camp forum was moved to Facebook there was considerable resistance. I think it reflected the demographic as much as anything. For example, I had chosen to not go there prior to the change, but learned it wasn’t optional if I wanted to be kept in the loop. The camp itself also is illustrative. Having attended four, and hopefully counting, the age of attendees isn’t getting any younger. I’ll wager the mean is about 60.

TP has been fun, inspirational and very informative. I can only hope it is always there. There is no way to give adequate thanks to Andy.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2014 :  11:12:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I spend time on facebook too. IMHO, Taropatch.net is far better for looking up old posts when you need to. Posts on facebook are impossible for me to find once they're a week or older.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2014 :  12:44:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I also spend a lot of time on facebook.
Facebook is still the social app du jour. It is informative and like fast food provides instant gratification. Besides dialog between friends - its ease of use allows you to post pictures, video, audio and links at will. It is geared towards providing linkage almost immediately and is a means to further marketing strategies by business.

However, Facebook was never intended to allow in depth discussion or further, to allow critical analysis of information. Dedicated websites, such as TP, provide the end user with specificity, as it would be applied to slack key guitar. And for me, TP was transformational. The information that I shared here on TP would only be provided in a mentoring or teaching situation at UH. It allowed thoughtful discussion and sharing of info without all of the background noise and distractions one encounters on social media websites.

One must take into account the fact that slack key is a very niche segment of Hawaiian music with a smaller number of interested individuals. This question existential and applies to artists as well as TP. How does TP retain its viability? It’s a numbers game. For example Ledward and Mike Kaawa played 8th Annual Peace on Earth Concert Kidney Foundation Benefit at the Hawaii Theater on Friday, May 30. According to Led, less than one hundred people attended. The Hawaii Theater has 1,400 seats. The interest in Hawaii is down and it is up on the mainland on the New Age circuit. And all the New Age guys are all old. But I jest.
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2014 :  07:50:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TP is a great forum still, don't ever think it'll fall by the wayside with Social Apps out there.
~slkho
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2014 :  10:00:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still lurk, but think twice before posting anything that may offend the Illuminati and their tempered steel opinions.

Cheers! Mike in Santa Cruz

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2014 :  12:18:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Piff, paraphrasing Chris Smither, "if you're not offending anyone, you're not alive".
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2014 :  5:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh, you guys! A while back, while visiting the mainland, Roddy Lopez, Jr, was in Renton Uajimaya store (Seattle thing, Roddy used to live in Tacoma). I was playing there with Aunty Manu Lono(ukulele), Gary Kalei Medeiros (guitar), and Peter Tabali(bass). Roddy told us guys that to hear real Hawaiian music, he had to come to the mainland. I think he said that as a compliment, but I've noticed that folks from the Islands tend to treasure the music more, even to the point of learning to play it if they didn't already. Pidgin is kept alive in households, along with food and the music. Eh, Professa Peter! Somebody get one nodda Doctoral kine t'esis foa write bumbye! Jus' saying..................jus' press.

Edited by - thumbstruck on 06/23/2014 5:13:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2014 :  11:38:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
"if you're not offending anyone, you're not alive".
The original "if nobody hates you, nobody knows your alive" lyric from the song "Diplomacy" off the "Leave the Light On" album (which happens to be my favorite Chris Smither album) works pretty good too!

Back to the original discussion...

I will never sign up to Facebook (at least with my real name and info) for many reasons among which is that the user agreement states very clearly that EVERYTHING you post on facebook immediately becomes the property of facebook. Many of the other terms are just as egriegious. Of course, if I were a practicing public artist I might have to put up with the corporate abuse in return for exposure.

Taropatch, my circle of old-style actual friends (remember that ancient concept?), browsing websites like mele.com and the Hawaiian news outlets remain my main means of keeping up Hawaiian music info.

I don't feel I have the need to post every little thing I do, pictures of my breakfast, lunch and dinner, pictures of my latest clothing outfit, every time I take a crap, etc., like so many facebook people seem to do, and then send it to 10,000 "friends" who are not really interested anyway (but pretend to be so as to remain in the group).

Besides - Facebook membership is beginning to decline (just like mySpace did) and the "in" crowd are moving to the next place.

As long as Andy keeps the patch running I will check here for info and also will continue to post.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 06/25/2014 11:49:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2014 :  2:27:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lawrence,
In the scheme of things, I usually look forward to offending someone eventually (it means I'm probably right), but not on the TP. Good catch on the Smither reference.

Ditto with your call on Andy and the TP.
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2014 :  06:50:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence

I will never sign up to FacebookTaropatch, my circle of old-style actual friends (remember that ancient concept?), browsing websites like mele.com and the Hawaiian news outlets remain my main means of keeping up Hawaiian music info.

As long as Andy keeps the patch running I will check here for info and also will continue to post.

yes, yes & yes!!!

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  12:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll stop looking/participating in TaroPatch when they pull my mouse from my cold, dead fingers. (was that a Charlton Heston, NRA reference?)...I probably got that actor's name misspelled huh?
~slkho
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2014 :  02:03:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got quite a lot of advice on this site when there was no one else able to help. But now it has slowed down so much I only look in every week or so now. I think there are a few reasons for it: some posters caused an "exodus" and the popularity of Facebook. At least on Facebook one can un-follow the feeds of the objectionable or dominating posters.

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 07/01/2014 02:04:34 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000