Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 I miss da ol' patch
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

salmonella
Lokahi

240 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2014 :  07:21:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha kakou.
Having been one of the instigators and having stated my intention to desist, I have been reluctant to post.
Taropatch was, and occasionally continues to be, a slack key oasis in a desert of other musical and cultural styles.
I certainly hope it continues and if I think of any suggestions to keep it going, I will post them.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2014 :  06:55:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shoots! Just checking in, a comment once in a while, what more can we ask? Community takes communication. Remember how it felt when you thought you were alone, Hawaiian-music-wise (excluding the Islands and various halau on the mainland)? Without the 'patch, I'd be poorer in friends.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2014 :  07:27:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

Remember how it felt when you thought you were alone, Hawaiian-music-wise (excluding the Islands and various halau on the mainland)? Without the 'patch, I'd be poorer in friends.

That is for sure. Ditto for me, big time!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Other Island Guy
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2014 :  11:06:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To all who show up here, comment, argue and share, please keep doing it. I check in to keep up with the Hawaiian music scene from the Island of Long in New York. I am an lover of all things Hawaiian, particularly the music and legends. I've also been an apostle for the musicians who come to the east coast to play. I've seen the Makaha Sons four times in New York alone. Lately I have seen Jake Shimabukuro five times without going far from home. All of the information the group shares here is treasured from someone enjoying from a long way off.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2014 :  2:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We all react to change. But the TP is still a constant source of connecting with old friends and learning about the pssing of older friends. I have met many in the TP first, then in person. In general, they were what I expected from their posts. Aloha passed in the TP was also passed in person.
Mahalo Nui Loa

Never, never, never, never, NEVER, give up. ~WC~

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

kihoaluatl
Akahai

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2014 :  6:20:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like they say, you don't know what you have until it is gone, I moved away from Hawaii 20 years ago and it wasn't until then that I realized what I lost, the music of the islands. Finding TP has rekindled my interest in kihoalu and I have been trying to learn what I can from watching Duke, Led and Fran, Shuji, Agrigo Ohana on YouTube and buying just about every slack key book I can find.
Kihoalu has been my daily respite, a few minutes a day melts away the daily stress and the TP gang feels like family though we have never met. I check TP more than Facebook, the endless barrage of silly jokes and bad video on FB are things that you will never see on TP. Thank you to the ohana for keeping it focused on what we love, kihoalu.
Aloha, y'all from Atlanta
Go to Top of Page

alohaolamele
Aloha

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2014 :  03:50:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's always new seeds of Ki Ho'alu sprouting up (^_^) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRorIdecO14

~JD 'Ukuleleman

youtube/alohaolamele
facebook/julian.ukuleleman
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2014 :  1:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I, for one, prefer the silly jokes (remember da pages of posting in Pidgin wit' Duke, Peter M, Mempachi Man, Guitarded, etc? Ho! Da funny!)
Da 'patch is finer tuned (pun?) than FB will ever be!
Go to Top of Page

Haolenuke
Lokahi

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2014 :  05:49:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I drifted away from this site as financial problems and a realistic assessment of my slack key potential curtailed my playing. A mildly improved financial situation and a less realistic assessment of my potential have brought me back. I was shocked to find this site nearly deserted. I used to look forward to Wanda Certo's weekly postings of Hawaiian music, and that seems to have gone away. I would expect that with the loss of the Hawaiian Grammy Award, the most contentious issue addressed at Taropatch would have gone away as well. I keep hoping to find links here to reasonably competent covers of Uncle Leonard Kwan's and Uncle Ozzie Kotani's fine work. I keep watching Kaaeamoku's, Uncle Duke's, and Fran's videos hoping to find more new material, but there aren't a lot of new videos getting posted. Take it easy.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
506 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2014 :  05:49:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I still check in pretty routinely, but there has been less and less to react to, so I rarely post. As someone who will never be on FB , the patch is my last remaining outlet.

I miss Hawaii quite a bit. But since I won't travel by commercial air anymore, even for work, it is unlikely that I will get to visit HI again. Now a cruise to/from the islands from somewhere the left coast would be another matter, especially a slack-key themed cruise.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2014 :  11:39:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never give up on your potential. When you play, play for yourself, you'll always "hear" it better than you can play it. Take a long range view. Remember the year's progress, the new tunes, the new fingerings, shoots, just play as many different vamps as you can. Jam with others. If they don't play Hawaiian music (yet!), introduce them to it. Seek out halau, listen to and watch live hula.
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2014 :  10:11:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chunky monkey

Lawrence,
In the scheme of things, I usually look forward to offending someone eventually (it means I'm probably right), but not on the TP. Good catch on the Smither reference.

Ditto with your call on Andy and the TP.

Terry, Lawrence, nice to hear the OG's show up! Yeah, I'd agree that I also look forward to offending someone.

We need John Nel... uh, Admirable to make an appearance along with RAYMOND. Also, where are those folks from the East coast, specifically Conneticuttecutt,cut,...cut. (because I can't spell it) I'm looking at you SARAH! (she always had translations and Aloha) or maybe the other half...Reid...? I MISS that. I'd log on just to see how they'd counteract what I'd just written.

And also..where is Craig P? Did he fall in a hole or something?

Julie? We live in Santa Cruz for gawds sake, post something!

Who am I missing?

I can go on...

(Don't ban me again Andy)

Cheers!

The Piffle

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2014 :  07:39:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strange as it may seem, not everyone who picks up the guitar (or any other instrument) stays with it. Life can be distracting, what with laundry, shopping, cooking, traffic (a prime time to listen to music, IMHO), sleep (never 'nuff), and friends (who should encourage more music, they are friends, after all), and family (who should, by now, understand the improving effects of music upon one's countenance).
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2014 :  10:03:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John

I'm here for ya, Piff. I look in almost everyday, but rarely post (if ever).

Why? Several reasons, but let's just chock it up to "nuthin' to say". Earl's earlier post said everything I'd like to say, but he said it mo' bettah.

I haven't played for 3, 4 years for now due to arthritis on left middle finger. Don't know why it's just that one finger, but the darn thing won't bend and what little movement it has, hurts like a son-of-a-beach. So, pain along with the frustration of no-longer-being-able-to-do-what-I-used-to-be-able-to-do... well, I'm sure you understand.

Btw, you forgot a couple of old-timers like Big Dog, Keith, dat-Kid (from Idaho), even ol' Mark-o. Many, many others.

Yeah, it's easy to forget names, but what they gave us still lingers.

My year is now complete. Long thought of you John and wondered what you were up to. I too feel like I've little to say or add sometimes, but I still play constantly.
Sad to hear the joints cause pain. That said, those same joints have caused joy. I've heard you play in the light rain at Kalani Honua on a bench, sitting outside on the balcony, somewhere around 2 in the morning with me, Liko, and Craig. Chicken Skin Brother, Chicken Skin.
Big Dog lives somewhere around here in San Jose. I've not heard from him in several years.
I too start to forget the names. That's when I usually can be found checking into TaroPatch to try to reconnect with what's important. It is tough sometimes like others have mentioned.

Now...that said...Raymond is an arrogant dork, who's self opinionated dissertations made me want to scream...

You reading this Raymond? Come in old TaroPatch, come in.

(my 2nd emoticon ever)

Cheers!

His Holiness, The Piffle

Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2014 :  10:04:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't ban me again Andy, yeah?