Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Wanted: Aloha Music Camp Info
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AuntyD
Aloha

24 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  11:07:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyD's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ANY info or impressions you may wish to share on the Aloha Music Camp will be greatly appreciated.

I would like to gift my husband -- who is Keola Beamer's biggest fan -- with this retreat experience. Next summer, 2004, marks our 30th wedding anniversary and I can't think of a better anniversary gift that this experience for him.

Keola has "lived" in our home for a number of years now (video instruction) and it's time for my husband to spend some extended real time learning from Keola, himself.

I hear that it will not be in Puna next year. Where will it be held? And what are the dates for 2004?

"Aloha is...":
http://www.geocities.com/moekeale2020/alohalesson.htm

Edited by - AuntyD on 08/25/2003 11:54:48 PM

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  11:48:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Aloha AuntyD,

Check these past posts. Hopefully they will help answer some initial questions.I think the 2003 campers are still reacclimating to "real" life after returning from Puna. Perhaps, you'll get some updated info soon.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  12:23:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha, AuntyD

I was the recipient of such a gift. I had not played guitar for over a decade. To reintroduce me to the music within, my wife took me to the first Aloha Music Camp.

As a guitarist, it is exciting, frustrating, challenging, invigorating...all those superlatives that don't even begin to describe the experience. I can still remember moments from the camp as clearly as if they just happened. Now, years later, I still play as often as I can, and still discover new directions to explore musically.

My wife was not a musician...but she discovered that she can do hula, could join the sing-alongs, and has since purchased a 'uke to begin learning.

And, we have new life long friends that we met at the camp.

Perhaps the best endorsement of the camps is the number of people who return year after year.

I believe that long after the leis have faded and the last traces of sand have been washed from your clothes, that this gift to your husband will be remembered and treasured.

Malama pono,

Eric

Puna
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  5:13:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha AuntyD!

Wow, it's nice to see you here - your language site is fantastic!!

I cannot imagine your husband being in any way disappointed with Aloha Music Camp. What a marvelous gift! As I do not myself play, I cannot give you a guitarist's perspective (although I know that there are many taropatchers who can), but in general I cannot say enough wonderful things about Aloha Music Camp. I registered for the first one as an "enthusiastic observer" because I didn't know how to play any sort of instrument, and I ended up running myself ragged going to all of the fantastic crafts and culture classes, not to mention learning my first ever hula. I have been to each of the week-long sessions since (there was a weekend camp last April that I missed). I now have friends scattered across the country who are as dear to me as any I have ever had.

For those who haven't checked out the sites Andy listed, next year's Camp will be on Moloka`i in June. Mark Nelson, Camp Administrator extraordinaire, promises the possibility of kani ka pila around bonfires on the beach with the lights of O`ahu twinkling in the distance and the stars burning overhead. Sigh... I am still jetlagged from this year's Camp and already I am yearning for the next one.

Me ke aloha,

Debbie B
Go to Top of Page

AuntyD
Aloha

24 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  1:35:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyD's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Aloha AuntyD,

Check these past posts... I think the 2003 campers are still reacclimating to "real" life after returning from Puna. Perhaps, you'll get some updated info soon.

Aloha e Andy,

E kala mai for my late reply back to you. Since I first posted, "real" life has been more pa`ahana (busy) and demanding than usual.

Mahalo for kindly listing those links. I made the time this a.m. to check each one and they have provided the updated info that I sought. The Aloha Camp experience sounds incredibly wonderful.

I enjoyed, too, reading about your wedding and the case of the missing trousers. A DELIGHTFULLY FUNNY memory, not only for you, but also for the readers here.

My sincere MAHALO for what you are doing here at taropatch.net. I have an idea of how time-consuming maintaining this site can be, and your generosity and Aloha-led efforts are to be applauded.

This is such a mellow place to hang out. And so very informative. Its denizens impress me as such a civilized, spirited bunch with a sincere appreciation and respect for each other and na~ mea Hawai`i a~pau (all things Hawaiian). I will stop by as often as possible.

I turned my husband on to this site, and I think he is becoming a regular lurker. Ozzie Kotani's and George Kuo's personalities remind me A LOT of my husband's. Low-key and on the shy-side, so I don't think you'll be seeing him jumping in here and posting away any time too soon. But you never know...

Keep up the fine work you do here, with Aloha and Mahalo,
Aunty D

"Aloha is...":

Edited by - AuntyD on 10/04/2003 2:36:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

AuntyD
Aloha

24 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  2:10:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyD's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by erksome
I was the recipient of such a gift. I had not played guitar for over a decade. To reintroduce me to the music within, my wife took me to the first Aloha Music Camp. ... My wife was not a musician...but she discovered that she can do hula, could join the sing-alongs, and has since purchased a 'uke to begin learning. ... I believe that long after the leis have faded and the last traces of sand have been washed from your clothes, that this gift to your husband will be remembered and treasured.

Aloha e Eric,

Your writing reflects the poetry in your heart. Mahalo for your lovely reply. It conjures up beautiful visions of your experience and maybe ours in the future.

Your wife sounds like someone I'd like to meet. We are birds of a feather who enjoy watching their mates musically soar. Like her, I am not a musician, but I am a sing-alonger and how I love to hula!

From the descriptions I've read here, sounds like there's something for every participant. And ahh, to learn hula from Aunty Nona and Moana would be bliss.

Me ke Aloha,
Aunty D

"Aloha is...":
Go to Top of Page

AuntyD
Aloha

24 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  2:35:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyD's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by islandboo

Aloha AuntyD! Wow, it's nice to see you here - your language site is fantastic!! ... I registered for the first one as an "enthusiastic observer" ... next year's Camp will be on Moloka`i in June. Mark Nelson, Camp Administrator extraordinaire, promises the possibility of kani ka pila around bonfires on the beach with the lights of O`ahu twinkling in the distance and the stars burning overhead.

Aloha e Debbie B,

Mahalo for your kind words. I've enjoyed every moment of putting together the language web site. I look forward to retirement one day when I can devote undivided time to it. In the meantime, for those who hunger to know something about the most beautiful language on Earth, it is my hope fulfilled if the site provides them with their first online introduction, humble as it is.

I am heartened to hear that you moved from an enthusiastic observer to a full participant. I danced hula as a keiki and took an extended leave of ~25 years from it when school and work monopolized my life.

Your words of Moloka`i paints such an enticing picture.

It was a week-long Hawaiian Language immersion on Moloka`i in 1996 (at beautiful Pu`u O Ho~ku~ Ranch) with fabulous language kumu from O`ahu and Moku Hawai`i that broke the Western spell on me. Not only did it get me back to the language, but back into hula.

Moloka`i is perhaps the most spiritual of the islands. Above the kukui groves of Lanikaula, I was spiritually led back to my cultural traditions. These days, there is no stopping me. I dance hula three days a week -- and whenever the spirit moves me. And with such joy!

I hope you will find Moloka`i as enchanting.

Me ke Aloha,
Aunty D

"Aloha is...":

Edited by - AuntyD on 10/04/2003 2:38:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2003 :  10:40:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AuntyD

This is such a mellow place to hang out. And so very informative. Its denizens impress me as such a civilized, spirited bunch with a sincere appreciation and respect for each other and na~ mea Hawai`i a~pau (all things Hawaiian). I will stop by as often as possible.

I turned my husband on to this site, and I think he is becoming a regular lurker. Ozzie Kotani's and George Kuo's personalities remind me A LOT of my husband's. Low-key and on the shy-side, so I don't think you'll be seeing him jumping in here and posting away any time too soon. But you never know...

Keep up the fine work you do here, with Aloha and Mahalo,
Aunty D

Aloha AuntyD (and lurking husband ),

Mahalo nui for the compliments and kind words. While I started this place and keep it clean of duplicate posts and such, the "aloha" here cannot be credited to a single person (me). The truth is maybe it started with one person, but then became two, three, four, etc. I just finished reading a book about companies going from good to great and how they focused on a simple strength and then built momentum. I see the same thing here. It has been a lot of fun witnessing the growth and reading everyone's posts.

Thanks for turning your husband to the site. No need to be shy. Jus' press a few keys and once you start, it's hard to stop. See what happened to me?!?!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  12:27:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Auntie D,

I'm jumping onto this thread a little late, but then I'm ususally late. I have been to each of the Aloha Music Camps, and the Weekend as well. I've also been attending George Kahumoku's workshops on Maui, as his girlfriend Nancy was a hula sista of mine. (In Santa Cruz.) One of the best things about these workshops is that you become acquainted with the musicians on a first-name basis. I can listen to all these CD's now and visualize the musicians faces, recognize their voices and their styles, and recall special moments with them. These are the extraordinary gifts you will take away with you when you return home. Then there is always this huge ohana that you become a part of during these trips.

I can't say enough about Aloha Music Camp. I started taking my non-musical husband when I found it impossible to describe the experience. He learned to play the ukulele finally, and so now we play the songs together and have such a great time.

I would love to learn more about you. Your profile doesn't say much, where do you live, and is there anyway we could get to meet sometime?
A hula and ukulele nut. Julie
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  12:47:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AuntyD

ANY info or impressions you may wish to share on the Aloha Music Camp will be greatly appreciated.
Sorry Aunty...I don't do impressions.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

carolw
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2003 :  9:36:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much. It was really helpful to hear how everyone felt.

Carol Wood
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000