Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Going to George's song-writing workshop in DEC?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  12:28:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone going to Maui in December? Aloha, Julie

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  12:46:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Not during my waking hours.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  01:16:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maui is a good place to be during December - was there a couple of years ago. Check out the surfin at Paiea - big waves.
Shame I won't be there.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2003 :  8:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just sent off my registration form. I get the impression that there are still openings. It should be fun. Based on the email from Nancy, it looks likes there'll be a few other TaroPatch members attending.

Gary

Gary
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  11:39:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, this should probably have been at the top of this thread. Here are some details about the Kahumoku songwriting workshop taking place next month.

There is still space.

*Here comes a plug* For those of you going, this is a great time to wear you Taropatch.net button to help identify fellow 'patch members. Still time to get your button!
-Admin

Aloha from Maui!

We have a great Songwriting Workshop December 5 to 7, 2003, featuring Bob Brozman, George Kahumoku Jr, Edna Bekeart, and Danny Palakiko

http://www.kahumoku.com/2003songwriting.htm

Bob is inviting guitar players to bring a nut extender and bar to try their hands at steel playing.

We also have 3 hard core steel players already registered so we will be grouping the students by primary instrument (guitar, uke, and steel) This way the experienced steel players can get to some advanced material, guitar players can get some steel basics, and other instrument players can be taught rhythm & improvisation techniques (we’ll play this by ear as I’m not sure of the mix of other instruments, but right now we have uke and piano)

Bob is an outstanding instructor and teaches workshops at home in Ben Lomond and in NY and WA. We feel very privileged to have him teach at our workshop here in Hawaii. This is a very rare opportunity for our local students.

Edna is a very prolific island music songwriter from a famous musical family. She is also an outstanding instructor and very excited to be sharing her writing expertise with everyone. She will teach the fundamentals of songwriting and discuss the tradition of song competitions in Hawaii. Edna will be addressing songwriting specifically and is not so instrument oriented. Songs can be composed using any instrument.

George will be presenting techniques and exercises to get his students composing songs. His advanced Ben Lomond guitar students produced some outstanding pieces when he was teaching on the mainland. (At least one of those students is also coming to this workshop). This is a great opportunity for all students to try their hand at songwriting. George will also discuss copywriting and publishing.

Danny Palakiko will be joining us for lyric translation. I’m not sure how many of our students (some who compose already and some of whom will give it a first try) will be composing lyrics and how many want to compose only the music, so Danny may be catering to just a handful of lyricists.

This will be a small group ( only 10 -15 as compared with the 40-50 plus spouse/companions at the June workshop) so students will get lots of personal attention from the teachers. Kanikapila will be close and personal. We will encourage everyone to share original compositions, but then again, no pressure!! Traditional songs will be shared too and everyone will be encouraged to participate in the jams with the teachers. It’s a very warm family atmosphere. And of course, there will be delicious food to share too.

Space is still available. So please contact me if you are interested.

Sincerely,

Nancy Winston Sweeney
nancy @ kahumoku.com
land: 808-891-1997
cell: 808-280-7734
fax: 808-891-1996
mail PO Box 12804, Lahaina HI 96761
www.kahumoku.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly