Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Tunings....li'dat....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2024 :  4:38:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh, you guys. Jus' checking foa see how many tunings yufela know. Get G Taropatch, F Taropatch, Leonard's C, C Wahine, G Wahine, D, D Wahine, D Mouna Loa, C Mouna Loa, li'dat. What else you guys know?

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
518 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2024 :  4:49:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
E A D G B E ---- standard
C G D G B E ---- Keola's C
D G D G B D ---- G Taro Patch
D G D F# B D ---- G Wahine
C F C F A C ---- F Taro Patch
C F C G C D ---- F Wahine
D A D F# A D ---- Open D
D A D F# B D ---- D6
C G E G C E ---- Atta's C

I don't really play slack key in Open D (mostly blues and slide) or in standard tuning. My standard tuning repertoire is mostly Piedmont blues and ragtime.

I need to learn more tunes in Atta's C. There is only one John Keawe song in that tuning right now. So many tunings and songs, so little time....

Edited by - Earl on 07/24/2024 4:55:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2024 :  07:35:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well stated, Earl. Distance gets in the way of kanikapila.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
518 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2024 :  05:23:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In my case, I come across a new and interesting tune and learn it. Then I look for a few other songs in that tuning to flesh things out. I don't want to completely retune for only a single song. Going from taro patch to G wahine doesn't count, as that is only one string.

I was stuck for a few days years ago while traveling. Fortunately I had my guitar with me. I spent a lot of time in the hotel re-working several tunes from taro patch to F Wahine. That was interesting, and I still play both versions.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1018 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2024 :  06:09:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An interesting thread. I play mostly in Taro Patch F. I'm a Taylor guitar fan (owned 13 but currently have 3) and over the years I've learned that they like the lower registers (not sure why). I'm also a big John Keawe fan and play about 20 of his tunes or arrangements. John likes D tunings, particularly D6 (check out his "D-Tour" CD). I've also play Uncle C's "Lulabye for Pops" in D6/9 that I got from a Jeff Peterson transcription. Sonny Lim's "Malie" is in D6/9 also. I've always struggled with Atta's C. I'm apparently not interested enough to "know" lots of tunings; it's challenging enough to just do a couple.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2024 :  07:34:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've learned that some mele are more easily played in C in Gtaropatch. Led does a few tunes that way and the old steel guitarists used to play in taropatch, going from G to C.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
518 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2024 :  08:33:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know of one professional musician and songwriter (Peter Case) who only plays in Open G tuning, regardless of the style and who he plays with.

There is also a school of thought that beginners should maybe first learn in Open G and then after some learning success can move on to the weirdest tuning of them all -- standard EADGBe.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1018 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2024 :  09:45:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty sure Glen Smith of Ho`okena only plays in Open G
Go to Top of Page

rleach
Akahai

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2024 :  2:28:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys have a lot more experience than me. I play mainly in Taropatch open G and some in C Wahine and a few in double slack ( G Wahine ). For me it really helped to learn a bunch of songs in Taropatch and then when I really knew the chord shapes and some of the scales on the melody strings, I felt comfortable enough to venture out into the other few tunings.

Ron Leach
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2024 :  08:08:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right you are! The guy that taught me the basics showed me GTaropatch, 3 weeks of the right thumb before anything else, then learning vamps, then the chords.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1018 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2024 :  08:47:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth: Jeff Peterson's instructional website is brilliant. He does lots of different tunings at every skill level. Even though I seldom wander into some of these tunings, I have been a subscriber for 5 years. There is always something to learn.
Go to Top of Page

rleach
Akahai

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2024 :  11:03:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me too Chunky. I subscribe to his site and am a frequent on-line student of his Saturday zoom classes.

Ron Leach
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1018 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2024 :  2:23:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron, do you know what happened to forum? I found it useful for asking questions and getting ideas.
Go to Top of Page

rleach
Akahai

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2024 :  09:11:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terry. Not sure. I just emailed Jeff the question and will let you know when he answers.

Ron Leach
Go to Top of Page

rleach
Akahai

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2024 :  09:37:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terry. He said the forum plugin was creating an issue with the website and causing it to crash so he had to take it down for the time being. Ron

Ron Leach
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1018 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2024 :  06:19:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ron. I was going to email him, but I know he's super busy.
For many reasons I don't do the Sat workshops. but I do occasionally check out the the recorded stuff

Edited by - chunky monkey on 09/05/2024 06:20:55 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000