Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Keola Beamer's Ku`u Home
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1018 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2024 :  06:42:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone ever seen instructional video or tab or anything about learning Keola's version of Ku`u Home? Not necessarily looking for free stuff. I play an instrumental version I got from Paul Togioka 19 years ago, but I like Keola`s, recognizing that I'd probably have to sing (yikes - public beware).

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
518 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2024 :  06:44:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No instructional material, but I recently worked up this song for a festival gig using Keola's recording as a basis. Jerry Santos plays it in E and I believe Keola does too. The biggest thing is that his version adds a V chord at the end of certain phrases, which Jerry did not. The runs at the end of each line are similar to descending parallel thirds that Keola uses in F Wahine tuning for songs like Sanoe, but I have not tried those yet - I've not played anything in F wahine in a few weeks while focused on taro patch. Let me think about it for a while. You do mean Ku'u Home o Kahalu'u, right?
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1018 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2024 :  08:43:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Earl. re Ku`u Home. yes. I'd like to hear what you've done.

Edited by - chunky monkey on 08/12/2024 08:44:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
518 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2024 :  1:37:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry, did not see this in a timely manner. I have not made any recordings (not really set up for that). So far the festival has not posted any either.

I use some fingerstyle arpeggio bit added as filler for a measure where Keola does his descending parallel-thirds licks, but mine are not the same. It just needed a placeholder.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000