Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 A Lesson from Uncle Ray
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  11:40:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My regular teacher, Patrick Landeza, called ahead and scheduled a visit with Ray and Elodia Kane. Today we made the drive out to the dry end of O`ahu to Waianae to pay our respects and try to absorb a little of the soul of slack key. Uncle Ray was heartwarmingly hospitable and in great spirits, and the Lowden was on a stand right by the kitchen table. He complimented my Larrivee Parlor, tuned up, put on his thumb pick and we were off. He showed me note by note and move by move some of his classic licks and tricks. At 77 his chops are not what they once were, but he is still smooth and nahenahe. He emphasized patience, careful attention to slides, and playing from the heart.

Ray also sang a few of his pieces, which really kicked off Lynn's day. Then for the high point, he called Elodia over and they sang the Hawaiian Wedding Song, in Hawaiian. Chicken skin, ya know.

Then the best part of the visit - Elodia and Ray started talking story. They gave us the story of their meeting and courting - they met each other when they were both asked to sing the Hawaiian Wedding Song at a piano bar, and Ray fell for Elodia on the spot.

Ray played his 12 string to accompany the song, and the guitar was the source of another charming story. It was made by a Japanese luthier and friend of the Kane family, who came to Hawaii looking for koa. Elodia and Ray explained to him that koa was rare and expensive, and was not sold at every lumber shop. They had a koa coffee table which had been put away, because the kids bumped their heads on it. The table was made of enough fine koa for a guitar and several ukuleles. The luthier gave Raymond the 12 string and a uke, and kept one uke for himself even though he doesn't play. I always think of how many guitars and ukes could be made from any koa furniture I see, so this story had me roaring and cheering.

If you're on your way to O`ahu you might want to know that Elodia and Ray have a garage that has been converted to an air conditioned apartment, and they rent it to visitors and music students. We didn't ask the price, but it seems like a priceless opportunity for a slack key enthusiast visiting O`ahu. Ray Kane is in the phone book and answers the phone himself.

Fran

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  11:51:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Aloha e Fran,

I'm really enjoying all your posting from the road. Thank you for taking a break from paradise to fill us all in.

Glad you made the trip out to Wai`anae - many locals never make it over there and even fewer tourists. "A lesson in aloha" is what I like to call it. BTW, I think the coffee table was a wedding gift from Auntie's dad. Luckily he loved Uncle Ray's music so they figured he would not mind the alterations.

Mahalo nui loa,
Andy
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2002 :  02:44:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andy, it sounds like you may have made the same visit, perhaps even heard the same stories?

Fran

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2002 :  09:43:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I have been fortunate to make it out there 3-4 times. My wife is from O`ahu originally so when she goes home, I try to visit the Kane family. In April, both the Kane's were ill so I did not get to see them. Thankfully they are fully recovered.

Your post took us right out to Wai`anae.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000