Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 George's Maui "Camp"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2002 :  7:54:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha e Troops,

I just got this from Nancy. George is one akamai kanaka. George's Bidness is Bidness. And, I sense Nancy's very shrewd input. The timing is just before the Maui BANKOH Ki Ho`alu Fest, so all these wonderful people have to be there anyway. So do you. The "Hotel", the Mauian on Napili Bay, Napili, is just a 5 minute walk from where we stay in Mahinahina, although I like our condo *much* better (and it is lots cheaper than the advertised rates of The Mauian - don't ask: I am selfish). But, right on the surf and NO BUGS. There are lots of condo choices in that strip. And, close to great food at Roy's, Nicolina's, Outback (which Roy owns a piece of, and has the best baby back ribs I have ever had.) The best coffee in the world is at the Napili Plaza (also great pastries at 6:00 AM in the morn). Just north of Hula Grill and other Kahumoku Kine Places at Ka`anapali.

Now, I know what a good teacher Oz is, and Sarah and I have been started and prolonged by Uncle Sol (Uncle had a stroke, so don't expect lots from his right hand - but he knows *volumns*. The others are great performers, but I have no knowledge of their teaching ability. I have always wanted to meet up with Andrade and Sarah could probably profit from his expertise, too. The MACC is a gorgeous place on the surf at Kahului, and DON'T worry about the 45 minute drive one way between west and north sides. It is simply the Most Beautiful Drive in the World. I never tire of it. And, you can peel off and go diving and snorkeling at about 4 places on the way.

Go for it if you have the time and bucks. I know people named John and Larry and .... who will always be there.

...Reid

Nancy's ad follows:

---------------------------------

Aloha Slack Key Guitarists,

We have only a few openings left for George’s Slack Key workshop this year.

If you would like registration information and schedule, please email me and reserve your place right away.

(Excuse me if you are already registered & I didn’t recognize your address!)

Fifth Annual

Maui Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar

Workshop 2002

THURSDAY June 20th to SUNDAY June 23rd.

Maui Arts and Culture Center, Kahului

& The Mauian Hotel, Napili
Maui, Hawaii

Featuring Slack Key Master Instructors:

George Kahumoku Jr
Ozzie Kotani

Keoki Kahumoku
Carlos Andrade

Cyril Pahinui

Danny Palakiko

Uncle Sol Kawaihoa

Meet & learn up close from the recognized Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar.

Receive small group instruction in:

Ø Slack key basics

Ø Stylings & techniques

Ø Tablature, Hawaiian songs & meanings

Workshop also includes Mentoring, Group Practice Sessions, Hawaiian Food, Culture, Kanikapila (Jam sessions) & Workshop T-shirt. Final student performance @ Maui Arts & Culture Center 10th Annual Slack Key Festival.

Cost: $425, Spouse/Companion rate: $90

Special Beginner Introductory Session, extra $50

For workshop registration Info: 831-234-8790 or nancy @ kahumoku.com

For general information: www.kahumoku.com

NOTE: Hotel accommodations booked separately. We recommend the Mauian on Napili Bay where many activities will take place: Call Wilma @ 808-669-6205 for a special workshop rate. See you on the Islands!

If you would like to be removed from this mailing list, please reply with REMOVE in the subject line. Thank you.

Nancy Sweeney

nancy @ kahumoku.com

cell: (831)234-8790

Hm: (831) 425-9948

Fax: (831) 425-2133

Mail: 343 Soquel Ave #205

Santa Cruz CA 95062

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2002 :  11:44:18 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the insight Reid,
I am very much looking forward to by first trip to George's workshop in June and would appreciate any info or comments from others who have attended in the past.

Sulle

Go to Top of Page

Ken
Aloha

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2002 :  1:49:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ken's Homepage  Reply with Quote
George Kahumoku, Jr. gave a concert and workshop here, in Mount Shasta, CA, a couple of weeks ago. They were great!
I've attended quite a few of his workshops and met several of the people who attended George's Maui workshop last year.

All those attendees had nothing but great things to say about the instruction as well as the pervading aloha spirit. I heard these students, individually, play some Ki Ho'alu, and they were very good. I inquired as to where they learned to play and all attributed their skills to a single attendance at George's Maui Workshop. They couldn't stop raving about it. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend due to business obligations, and had to give up my reservation. The guy who was able to attend (due to my forfeiting my spot) continues to thank me because he was able to go.

I'm going this year and I'll see all you other attendees there.

Please see my POST in the Video topics. (Link added by Admin 4/3/02)

Aloha slackers.

Ken Armstrong
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000