Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Ledd Kaapana Slack Key Workshops - CA and OR
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

charloch
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  10:33:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit charloch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Led is doing a workshop Saturday, March 5th @ 12pm @ Grypons Stringed Instruments. Grypons is at 211 Lambert Avenue
in Palo Alto, CA
Tickets: $35
Phone: 650-493-2131 888- 493-2131
http://www.gryphonstrings.com/

And in Eugene at the
Shedd Institute for the Arts (Recital Hall)
Thursday, March 10, 2005
3:30-4:45 p.m. 868 High Street
Eugene, OR 97401
541-687-6526, 800-248-1615

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  2:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just got back from the Gryphon workshop, whatta hoot!! Lottsa TP.net folks there (about half the class raised their hands when Lawrence asked who hung out here. Led took about 30 of us through "Slack Key Lullaby," "Salomila," a few lines of "Ku`u Ipo Onaona," and ... what was that tune you asked for, Lawrence? It's one I've heard before, about Kalapana? Sweeeeet!

After the workshop we had a chance to hear a couple of tracks off Led's new CD. We heard "Killing Me Softly" on ukulele with overdubbed guitar accompaniment. Man, when you've got Ledward on uke AND guitar, you've got a terrific duet.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  08:09:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, that was a very good workshop. Led spent enough time one each tune to make sure we could play it, and then he came back later to make sure we could still play the first tune! One gentleman who attended asked me three times how to tune to taropatch (and got some others to help him tune as well) was actually playing Slack Key lullaby on his own at the end of the workshop!

I asked Led if he would play Holei (Kalapana) in the key of D (actually I asked if he could do it before the workshop and was reminding him at the end). He indicated that he sings it better in F and then went right ahead a did a very nice version of it in D, along with some pretty nice guitar interludes.

Led's the man.... for sure...

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 03/06/2005 08:35:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  12:32:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Us folks in Eugene also got a treat with a Led workshop and concert. All I have to say is he's one great musician and terrific person! It was a fabulous session. We got Led to play Radio Hula (of course), and we also learnecd Slack Key Lullaby. We didn't have time to do anything else, but was very happy to be able to learn what we did. It was totally a wonderful experience. Hopefully, we'll get to do another workshop when Keola and Moanalani come in May! The concert was superb as well!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000