Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Keola Beamer's Aloha Music Camp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2002 :  11:56:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha all, we just returned from a wonderful week under the skies of Hawai'i, playing guitars and ukuleles, eating and drinking and dancing and laughing with the Beamer Ohana. The Camp went from Mondaynight to Sunday morning, but it was not long enough for my wishes. It never is... We had just a super time, getting reacquainted with friends we made last August and last April, and got to meet some really neat new folks. Auntie Nona Beamer was delightful as always, Keola and Moana and Kaliko (Auntie's hana'i son) kept us hopping all week with classes and shows. Keoki Kahumoku and Herb Ohta Jr. were a scream during the classes, John Keawe showed up for one class and an evening show with his wife Hope dancing. Liko Puha taught a workshop on oli (chants) and Leilehua Yuen taught lauhala weaving and leimaking. I'm sure I'm leaving someone out. There were so many things to do. If you haven't experienced this camp, you should plan to do so next August. This is the highlight of my year! Aloha, Julie

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  4:28:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Julie (proud owner of a dynamite pineapple ukulele) said, it was a wonderful experience.

The aloha was certainly flowing. We could feel it from the moment we arrived at the opening pupu gathering. My wife, Sheila and I were first time participants. The only people we knew prior to arriving were Bruce Lamb and Mark Nelson. That very rapidly changed. The people were wonderful. Almost as soon as we arrived a voice called "DUSTY!!". It was taropatch's own Jerry Sullivan and Diana. He recognized me from my picture in the member's section. Jerry's Rainsong was the ideal instrument for aloha camp. The classes were great. I attended guitar classes with Mark, Keola and Keoki. Sheila went to hula with Moana and ukulele with Herb.

Keoki and Herb led a play-along/sing-along song session each afternoon that was fantastic. There was just not enough time to attend all of the classes we wanted.

The evening performances were exceptional. During the Beamer's performance, Keola performed a hula that was not to be missed. and Auntie Nona gave an impromptu tune on her long forgotten accordion.

One of the highlights for me was John and Hope Keawe. Not only did John and Hope perform, John gave a guitar workshop and they both stayed at camp from Friday through the closing ceremony on Sunday. Click on the link.
http://www.csusm.edu/wdfoster/me_and_john.jpg

----------
Dusty
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000