Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 NYC: Herb Ohta, Jr. `ukulele workshop
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  10:51:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Aloha all,

My wife and I had a great time in NYC this past Saturday. Although I drove to the wrong place first, we finally made it to the Alvin Ailey Dance Studio where I attended Herb Ohta's `uke workshop. George Kahumoku had a talk story session and Keoki taught slack key guitar concurrently.

Herb is a great teacher and quickly proved to be both a great teacher and performer. He specifically tries not to run through songs (e.g. this song is this chord, this chord and this chord) but alternatively encourages you to find chords. This is the way he was taught. We whizzed through some basic music theory which even at a rudimentary level flew over my head.

Another cool concept that Herb discussed and demonstrated was his percussive approach to playing the `uke. He told us that when he thinks of an arrangement in his head, he hears drums. He showed us how he plays chops (muted strums) as the snare drum equivalent. It was very cool. These types of techniques he usually appies to faster tempo songs. For the slower songs where adding percussive effects is not appropriate, he went through a series of different arpeggio picking patterns. Also, very helpful.

We closed out the two hour session with some discussion regarding how to kanikapila. Herb has a very solid foundation in music theory. He can read and write music, and he explained that using his knowledge of chords and scales, his objective is to express feeling and play from the heart using the tools that he has. I had a great time. Mahalo Herb. Thanks HCF for putting this event on. There was much more to the day, but I'm going to bed.

Aloha,
Andy

Ps. Here are some photos from that morning:

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000