Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Instrument Care for Traveling
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2005 :  09:06:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha All

I did a search and have found a fair amount of info on traveling with guitars, so I apologize if this starts something that seems redundant, but with all the camps coming up, it might be good to ask and answer these questions anew.

I am heading to the AMC and this will be the first time I will be taking my guitar on air travel. I have already found quite a bit on packing the guitar for safe travel, and I think I have that covered. I also found a little bit on my question to follow, but I still have some concerns.

In northeastern CA (east of the Cascade/Sierra ranges) where I live, when it's not raining--and it rains seldom in the summer--the humidity is typically in the single digits. When I moved up here from the Bay Area my Martin, which is currently my only functional acoustic, went through a dire transition: it was almost unplayable for about two weeks, just in terms of holding a tuning. I did nothing then to help it along, such as humidifiers in the case.

It settled down and seems to be content now, but I'm concerned about its playability on this trip. I will of course take some steps to humidify the instrument prior to the trip. I put a humidifier in the case just yesterday to get the process started. I see one potential problem with my guitar and case, however: the only place I can put the humidifier is underneath the peghead, which seems to me to be almost completely separated from the rest of the guitar by the padding and supports for the upper part of the neck. I mean, it looks like there would be virtually no air flow between where the humidifier is and the body of the guitar when the case is closed.

I understand there are humidifiers that fit in the sound hole, and I will try to track one of those down ASAP.

I was wondering, though, has anybody ever tried putting a guitar in a room with a vaporizer/humidifier (like the kind you put in childrens' rooms when they have a cold) to get the wood humidified, and then keep the humidifiers in the case for maintenance?

I would, of course, slack the strings, etc., during the process. Would this just be cruel abuse of a helpless and undeserving instrument??

I have no desire to torture my guitar, but if a little bit of pain now (if it isn't detrimental to the instrument) could insure that I don't spend a week at camp with an unplayable guitar, I might be willing to try it.

Mahalo in advance for any input or insights you all might have

Jeff

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2005 :  09:30:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Something I forgot: Any recommendations from the different soundhole humidifers that are available?

Jeff

Jeff

Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2005 :  2:01:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Any recommendations from the different soundhole humidifers that are available?

I, too, live where it's dry (at least in the summer) so I do the humidifier drill before camp. I've got one of those Planet Waves deals that sticks in the soundhole -- it seems to work fine, and it has a nice little syringe so you can top up the moisture without removing it.

Annie as a Dampit for her `ukulele -- its a long tube w/ a bit of sponge inside that snakes inside the soundhole. I think it's actually better at keeping up the humidity than the Planet Waves one.

Tossing a loaded water balloon at your axe is not a good idea.

cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2005 :  2:46:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff,

Mark is always right. That is a rule around here :-) Planet Waves is the real deal. Get one and start it now. The reason that Annie's Dampit works fast is that it unloads water fast (I have one of those, too). Perhaps,too fast - lots of drips if you are not careful. As I said somewhere else, wood give up moisture 3 times faster than it takes it up, and the worst thing you can do to a wood guitar is dry it out (and heat it). So, gradually humidify it and *keep* it humidified at between 40% and 50% RH. We have, in CT, very dry winters, so we keep a "whole house" humidifier runnning all winter. Cheap. about $100 at Sears. Major better for us Humans, too. (not to mention furniture, oak floors, etc.)

Oh, yeah, it is about 1% RH at 30K ft. where aeoroplanes fly. If your guitar is in the hold (most likely) and it is NOT PRE-humidified, and your case is not as sealed as a Calton is, think about putting something in the case - BUT balance that against the chance that a baggage gorilla will throw your guitar around so hard that the humidifier in the soundhole will damage it as a secondary collision.

(I can't believe your Martin has survived under 10% rh very long. You are very lucky.)

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2005 :  11:17:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark, Reid, and "JWN": Thanks for the input.

I hadn't ever considered the water balloon option. I guess I won't! I will get one of the soundhole himidifiers in ASAP. Either kind should have time to get things right between now and then, I guess. Mark, do you keep the himidifiers in your instruments year round, or let them equilibrate to normal conditions around Jacksonville when you are not traveling?

Thanks also for the info on whole house humidifiers. I think one of the reasons my guitar has survived OK is that with the exception of rainy days the humidity here is almost always low. In the winter, our heater keeps things pretty dry even in stormy weather, I suspect. I think the woods dried out but they have not been subjected to a lot of change, even seasonally.

I do have a ukulele that I have kept humidified since getting it on Maui 3 years ago. I could do the same with the guitar, obviously.

A whole house humidifier could make things more comfortable around here when we have visitors too. Whenever our families visit, one of the things they notice first (and complain about vociferously!) is dry skin.

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000