Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Kaupoa Experience: at AMC / 05
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  01:55:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at the photos from the AMC can just about tell you the whole story.

It all started on friday 06/17/05 at keith and susies hale at 3:00pm. Both campers were there ( AMC & Georges Workshop.)It was special that both camps could get together and fellowship with one another before going our separate ways. We came at the tail end of the kanikapila ( waihee slackers.) but still had a wonderful time with those that were still there.( it finally ended at around 11:30pm.)

Camp officially opened on saturday the 18 at 3pm. Driving down the loooooooong dirt road brought back memories of last years camp. When arriving there i went looking for my buddy kawik's.( ilio nui.) and mark lennon, When i saw them i knew the journey would begin. Seeing the familiar faces and new ones, brought such a warm feeling.

That evening we were treated to a concert by one of hawaii's greatest slack key player and one of the most gracious hula dancer, John and Hope Keawe. The end of the night john called up keola beamer and chris yeaton to join him, there music set the opening of a week that will be in everyones heart until next years camp.

Going to the camps is not all about classes, it's about "Ohana" , "Unity" , sharing , working together , and helping one another, all of these things , makes a camp successful. This year the instructors had sometime to pop into some of the other classes on there breaks and that was special.( mahalo, ka liko, dennis, mark, keola, john, hope, liko, byron, moana, aunty nona, & anakala philipo.)miss all of you.

Every night after dinner there was a jam session, on the beach where the fire was glowing and you could hear guitars and fiddle playing, then on kawik's deck i swear it was like a night club, everyone gathered there,( standing room only.) I'm sorry kawik's i was'nt around as much as last year, I was kinda spread around the camp area.

The classes were full, the students were ready to absorb whatever was thought to them, it all showed at the thursdays student concert, everyone was great! the ukuleles were fabulous.( dennis class.) And what can we say about the bread run, driving an hour jus to pick up bread is worth every minute, especially when you dip it in the cocoa. ( on one of the runs we counted a total of 14 pueo's, that maybe the record.)

I'm going to leave some storys for others that want to share there "AMC Experience". Mahalo to everyone that came, you all help to build the AMC what it is today. Mark, Keola, Annie, & Moana, mahalo a nui loa, for without your planning this would not be possible. God bless all of you, I had a wonderful time seeing old friends and making new ones....Duke mahalo for the sound system.( the staff at kaupoa was the bomb!)

Me Ke Aloha
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown

mokupuni
Aloha

30 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  4:21:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit mokupuni's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha kakou,

The "AMC experience" as brother Kevin says, was very different this year for Toki and I. In the sense that we were able to stay at Kaupoa and truly get the "camp kine" atmosphere. It was so much fun. Learning the who's who of platform partying/jamming etc. You know, <wink> the after hours gang.

While there were many joyous memories of camp, being able to swim and just sit and talk story. Dat's da bessesest! <Good lawd!>

The reunion of "Na Mea Huna" was VERY high on the list, getting to hang with my fellow band members, Piffle and Law.
Wait...maybe talking story with Kevin early in the morning.
Wait...maybe it was doing eyebrow hula with Anthony.
Wait...maybe it was enjoying the glow of a full moon and singing it's praises.
Wait...maybe learning what the heck Altair, Vega, and Deneb were doing up there.
Wait...maybe it was the 'ono food every meal.
Wait...could it have been teaching in the mala?
Wait...seeing 'Anakala Pilipo and the joy on his face when sharing his knowledge and aloha.
Wait...perhaps it could have been learning Ki Ho'alu from Kevin.
Wait...maybe getting help from Jean and Carol on how to hold a guitar and how to stop banging the other strings when I just want to pluck one!
Wait...hanging with my good friend Kaliko away from work!
Wait...I think it was watching Tommy create puppets from natural things found around the beach.
Wait...oooh, hearing Aunty Nona chant a mele for John and Hope, "Keawe! Keawe!"
Wait...strawberry-cream cheese something or other...
Wait...hearing people call Toki "Tiko"
Wait...listening to my students oli well at the ho'ike.

Alas, I cannot say which is the best. Maybe I should just stop and say:

Aia i Kaupoa ke aloha e...
(At Kaupoa there is love...)

Me ke aloha,
Liko

'O au iho no,
Liko Puha

Edited by - mokupuni on 07/10/2005 4:23:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA