Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Word to da wise
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  6:26:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those going to the February Moloka`i camp...the following Presidents' Day weekend is already making some of the best flights full, and same with places to stay for those wanting to linger longer (Hotel Moloka`i gots no room starting the 15th, fer example---hokay wid me, just staying thru 14th). So getcher reservations reserved, troops

--Jean S

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  03:53:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Omigod! Never even thought about Pres. Day. Thanks for the alert, Jean. I had been waiting until some things got settled (like Delta using Salt Lake City as a portal to Hawai`i, and some decisions on dates). Gotta get on the stick and get booked.

Thanks again,

Reid
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2005 :  11:23:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the nudge, Jean.

President's Day is a BIG DEAL in Hawai`i.

Another word to the wise:

As of right now, we have plenty of room at the February Camp -- of course, this can change quickly as soon as the weather gets cold. Like it is right now here in Oregon. Brrrrrrr.

Cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2005 :  12:13:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It's getting mighty brisk here in Southern California, too...nighttime temperatures are dropping below 70.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  12:12:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a note on the airline nonsense:

The real cheap 1-day flights (~$650RT) from the Right Coast are gone. They were there when Jean woke me up, but I couldn't react in time.

I looked for a way to break up the flight with an overnight, which for me is torture when it gets over 4-5 hours, but there was no way, on no airline. No airline runs a nonstop from the northeast near us to a western city that runs a nonstop to OGG. I can't believe there is no nonstop from OGG to Vegas (among other western cities), but they all go through HNL or another mainland city. So, I was getting lots of 9-10H legs, regardless.

So, I bit the bullet and found a UAL flight pair that are both about 12H30m (including 1H layover) +1H tavel to airport and ~2H airport/security wait for about 15H trip. Semicivilized hours, but redeye back, of course. This went for $805 RT, which is still OK. All these seats are in the central cattlecar section, but we got aisle and next.

There are some of these left according to the seat maps, but will probably sell out over the next 2 or 3 weeks - then they bump up the $ for supposed better seats.

The amazing thing about this is that the cross-continent flight is almost free, or, at least, reduced to about the price of a superdupersaver SW (which is actually a better ride than UAL)and the price is mostly based on the leg to OGG.

Almost all UAL or AA flts go through ORD, which is really dicey in Feb., but there is no real choice.

Prices AND schedules on the supposed bargain sites (orbitz expedia travelocity cheapseats, etc) are *worse* than the native airline web sites. They are only shopping stuff the lines don't care about.

So, we have booked and I am going to the pharmacy to get a little help from my friends.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  10:34:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
RE: Airline stuff -

It has been my experience that the prices to Maui change many times over the course of time. I've booked "last minute" flights that were cheaper than flights booked 6 months out. I've book flights 4 months out that were cheaper than flights three months out. I 've booked flights 6 weeks out that were cheaper than .... you get the picture.

Same as with Hilo when we did the camp there. All of which is to say: Don't Panic! And don't forget your towel....

I wish I had a clue how any of this stuff worked.

Cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  2:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Works simple -
As soon as more than 2 people look into a flight for any day, that fare goes up and stays that way for at least 3 days. More people who look, higher the fare.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  2:33:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Better than New Zealand. You have to pay a TAX just to leave to go home!

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  4:35:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You pay taxes every time you use an airport here -- look at the line up on your ticket
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000