Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Led Kaapana Waikiki workshop
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  4:30:38 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Aloha All,
Very late in posting this review what with long motorcycle trips and visits to So. Cal. and AZ for friends and relatives but here goes. Led's first annual slack key workshop was held at the Waikiki Outrigger hotel Aug.17 thru Aug 21. Milton Lau put together this workshop for Led and purposely kept it small and intimate with only 22 participants this year. Seven of the participants were ladies from Japan who spoke very little english but were a pure delight to spend time with. The instructors were absolutly first rate ie; Led, Kimo Hussy, Paul Togioka, Jeff Petersen, Bobby Ingano and Yuki Yamauchi (Japan's number one slack key player I am told.) The Outrigger Hotel provided two small conference rooms for lessons and meals and with the limited number of students it was like private lessons in your living room. Classes started at 9am each morning and ran to around 5pm with about an hour for lunch (box lunches provided by the hotel.) Dinner was at 7pm each evening and was family style catered by the Hula Grill in the hotel. Each night after dinner we had a one hour private concert by one of the instructors and they each took a turn on consecutive nights with a last night kanikapila with all instructors. On Sunday Aug. 21 (my birthday) we all backed up Led on stage at the slack key festival and helped him play Slack Key Lullaby. What a great birthday and a great first time event. More of everything than I had expected. Watch for this workshop next year;I certainly plan to make it a high priority. JlSulle'

a new friend from Japan

Bobby Ingano and friend

Brittni Paiva

dinner with our new friends

guitar signing

Mr. Jeff Peterson

Johnny Cruz and friends

Johnny Cruz and friends

Kimo Husy and Bobby Ingano

Kimo Hussy

Kimo Hussy and student on break

Ledward Kaapana

Led and his old pal Sulle

Led and Milton Lau

the master tuning

the master in action

Led and a group of his friends

Mrs. Jeff Peterson

My Starbucks pal Bob Bobsin

one of my new friends

Ozzie Kotani and student

Paul Togioka

Bob and Milton (two Beetles fans)

Yuki Yamauchi and friend

Yuki and his old pal Sulle

Yuki getting ready for stage

Yuki on stage

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  4:57:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry,

Very cool!!! Thanks for the review.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  8:22:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a lot of fun Jerry! Yuki (I think he's known as Alani in Japan) is huge in Japan from what I understand, and not just for slack key...he also plays ukulele and Hawaiian steel guitar. That probably explains the presence of the Japanese ladies! He studied under Uncle Ray...was his favorite student in fact...and has released 3 CDs with him along with numerous other solo CDs and several collaborations with other Hawaiian artists. He also published a book in Japanese on how to play slack key (yes, of course I have a copy!). Here's a link to his current catalog:

http://www.farsidemusic.com/acatalog/YUKIYAMAUCHI.html

Mele.com lists a subset (only a few of which are still available):

http://www.mele.com/v3/artcat/yuki.htm

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 09/28/2005 8:34:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  06:17:36 AM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Craig,
Mahalo for the links and info on Yuki Yamauchi. I had no idea how famous this man really is. He is also a very humble and personable young man. I hope he attends the workshop next year.
By the way, it was great spending some time with you and the others at Dusty and Shiela's house on our visit last week. Just press, Jerry
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  07:11:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry,

Could you tell us some more about the course content? How easy was it to keep up with those very slick instructors? Also, what level of player was it pitched at?

Sounds like a great reason to be at Waikiki (which is just not my kinda place, usually).

Reid

Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2005 :  05:17:53 AM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Reid,
Most instructors ie; Jeff P., Paul T., Yuki Y.,and Bobby I used written materials such as tab and classroom ilustrations as well as hands on demos. With such small class sizes it was very informal and each person received lots of personal attention. I was at first concerned about the fact that all skill levels were combined in each class, however the material was kept at a level somewhere between beginner and intermediate I would say. There were no first time guitar players. Skill levels ranged from fairly beginning to quite advanced but no one seemed to feel left out. Ledward was the exception in that he taught the old way, "watch and learn", he spent as much time with each person as it took to catch on. I might add that Ledward was so entertaining to be with that learning was kind of secondary. Even though Led had the first class in the morning he made himself available almost all day every day. He just "hung out" and seemed to enjoy the experience as much as we did. Jeff, Paul and Yuki handed out tab of their own arrangements that ranged from very simple to more chalenging:something for everybody. Kimo Hussy's ukulele class was mostly centered on learning how to learn and less on actually playing the music; some very good info. I think everyone who attended this workshop felt that they took away much more than they might have expected.
I have some pictures from the workshop and the slack key festival that I will be sending to Andy for posting soon.
As to the location in Waikiki, I agree with you Reid, that it is not my favorite vacation spot but the only time we had to do the tourist thing was early morning or after 9pm which was more than enough for me. Jerry
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  4:53:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I just posted Jerry's photos for him above. Phew, that was a lot of photos! Happy Birthday Jerry!

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000