Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Waimea (HI) uke & slack key workshop
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  10:31:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kahilu Theatre in Waimea (Hawai`i island) has posted their 2005-2006 performances on their website. No details about the annual slack & uke institute yet, but the 2 concerts which dovetail with it, are scheduled for Nov 11 & 12.

This year's performers -- who will probably also be the instructors for the institute -- are Raiatea Helm, Led Kaapana, David & Dennis Kamakahi, Gordon Mark, and (from Canada) James Hill:
http://www.kahilutheatre.org/season.asp

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  3:26:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ohhh! You beat me to it Auntie.
I was talking to one of the folks this morning and they tell me that the lineup will be disclosed fully around Sept. 1, but you have most of the people I have heard would be teaching. Jeff Peterson and Bobby Ingano are also likely.

I have already made my reservations to stay in Waimea (The Kamuela Inn is always fun during this event, and Led often ends up at the restaurant across the street in the evening!

Now, on to the Ukulele Guild of Hawaii Exhibition (watch this link for details: http://www.ukuleleguild.org/exhibition.php)
Since you will be coming to the Big Island for the Slack Key Festival, you might as well book your flights for 10 days in Hawaii, and head over to Honolulu for some world class ukulele entertainment and instructions. Last year was a real blast, and I enjoyed meeting a lot of great musicians. I have my reservations already.

I would love to meet more of you Taro Patch folk here on the Big Island! November is a beautiful time to be in Hawaii. Clear blue skys, and lots of flowers. The snowbirds don't usually arrive till December so the beaches and restaurants are not crowded.

Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  11:17:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to both of these events last year and they were great! Waimea concerts where wonderful, classes were fun although not as intense as those given by the Guild the next weekend. The theater in Waimea is a bit strange .. the jamming between the wonderful East Indian performers and the Hawaiian musicians (Led and Bobby Ingano especially) was just getting going and .. boom .. the theater dude was on the stage thanking everyone for coming. No more music, no "Hawaii Aloha" or "Aloha Oe" .. just pau. There's something a little weird about that theater .. maybe it's just me seeing the difference between Hilo and Waimea. Long live Hilo !!!!

Raiatea performed with the Makaha Sons in Hilo last month .. she's a great performer with a lovely voice and very nice strumming. Her dad joined her .. and he was sensational.

Me ke aloha,
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  9:14:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After much prodding, the Kahilu Theatre website finally has posted the entire schedule for the uke & slack key institute:
http://www.kahilutheatre.org/ukulele.htm

In addition to the workshops, there are 2 for-pay concerts (Friday & Saturday night) and a FREE concert Sunday at 2pm.

Wu-huuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Auntie Maria
===================
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  9:18:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Meant to add -- the "institute" has grown, and this year will last for 4 full days. Each 2-hour workshop is $40 and includes institute t-shirt.

Thursday Nov 11 is opening night reception, thru the Sunday Nov 14 workshops -- ending with the free afternoon concert.

Auntie Maria
===================

Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  8:38:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KonaBob, Auntie Maria and PuaLynn, you're killing me with all these promises of good times and great music!

I, unfortunately, will be in Yosemite for an annual Watercolor Workshop, painting to my heart's content, strolling in the first snows of winter, fighting off the bears and coyotes who would like a bite of my salmon lunch, dining, drinking and singing with other crazy artists. Hmm, Hawai'i or Yosemite, Hawai'i or Yosemite, hmmm...

Now the choice is tough. I'm thinking of all of you, there on those sunny shores. Aloha and hugs, Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 09/17/2005 8:40:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  8:55:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One more tidbit about this Waimea event .. in the small print of the entry form, it describes at least four sessions of private lessons. I just signed up for 45 minutes with Raiatea Helm at a price only $20 above one of the regular sessions. I mean .. what an amazingly generous offer. Kona Bob, you can do a private lesson on steel guitar with Bobbie Ingano, private song writing session with Dennis Kamakahi, slack key, ukulele or falsetto private time with Led .. how great does it get ???!!! I'm thrilled.

Me ke aloha,
Lynn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000