Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 ride to camp?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

steven
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  8:29:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, I'm going to the Aloha Music Camp in February. That Sunday is Super Bowl Sunday, so I've arranged to arrive early, on the 10 a.m. flight from Honolulu on Island Air. Mark says we can watch the game at the Paniolo Bar. Anyone else on that flight? Wanna share a ride?

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  09:33:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's right -- although you can't check in to the Beach Village until the afternoon (that's so we can give the staff time to get the camp set up) you can hang out at the Lodge in Maunaloa. Great view, great food, and a big honkin' TV, if that's yer thing.

Don't forget, you can always arrange for a shuttle from the airport with Molokai Offroad or Molokai Outdoors. Both have big old vans that say "Molokai O...." Gees, I wonder if anyone ever gets in the wrong one by mistake?

See you soon!

Mark
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  10:30:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be arriving on-island about 9 am on the ferry from Maui, so although the timing would be about right, I'll be landing at the pier, not the airport. I am planning on catching a shuttle with Moloka'i Outdoors like I did last year. We seemed to overwhelm them a bit, but everybody pretty much got where they needed to go (although I won't be able to play the part of Mrs. Duke this time around! )

Also, Mark told me "Arriving early at the Lodge is fine. They've got a big TV in the Paniolo Bar, great portabello wraps & burgers & killer bloody marys." Hmmm...I'm not sure I can give up a frosty Longboard Lager, even for a "killer" bloody mary - although it may depend on how the game goes!

I can hardly believe that we're only a month away from gathering together at Kaupoa - whee!

Me ke aloha,

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  3:32:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yo Debbie,

Sarah and I will be on the same ferry as you, so, we can natter and watch whales together.

I called up one of the "Molokai O"'s about a month ago and the lady said, "Oh you call too soon. We gonna fo`get. Call a week befoah and we take you up the Ranch; we got 14 passenger vans, so no problem." I hope that is really true, but I'll call 2 weeks ahead and nail a resrevation down and tell them to expect lots of people - I did that, already, but she didn't believe me. So, I will do what I can do.

See ya,

Reid
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  1:36:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reid -

It will be nice to see some familiar faces for the ferry over. When you finally get a reservation with a Molokai O, let me know and I will try to catch the same ride - keep the party going!

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  9:58:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yippeee, we hope to be on the same ferry, let the party begin! oh, wait a minute. What time does this ferry leave Lahaina? We'll be at Lahaina Shores but without a car, I think. We'll have to walk and schlep all our stuff to the pier. Yikes.

If I know any of the people coming to camp, I wouldn't be surprised if a huge kani ka pila didn't break out on the lawn outside the bar or something.

Reid, when you phone the shuttle people, warn them again that there will be a crowd with loads of stuff. Mahalo.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  02:09:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha! Julie, I am doing the same thing - staying in Lahaina (at the Plantation Inn) and wheeling my stuff down to the pier (hopefully this duffle will be more sturdy than the last, whose wheels broke off during the stroll). We will be a funny early morning apparition - various folks pulling gear across town, converging at the dock before dawn (check-in at 6:45 - ouch!)...

Steven, if you decide to take a shuttle from the airport, you may get an earlier start to your Camp experience than you realized! (last year the shuttles stopped off at the airport on the way from the dock to Maunaloa town)

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2006 :  8:05:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ms. Boo,

I assume you ARE bringing an ukulele? And you've been practicing all year, right?

I got a kick out of the visual image when I pictured you with a non-rolling duffel. What did you do, drag it along the sidewalk, making so much noise that you woke the local residents? Let's hope you get a more cooperative piece next time.

You know, we should meet the night before, or whenever you get there. It would be fun to have dinner together and really start the party early! Reid, Sarah, anyone else?

We get to Maui on the 2nd. That gives us a few days to acclimate, shop for necessities (libations, etc.) We're game for whatever...

Julie
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  07:24:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie-

About that 'uke... I will probably bring one, I may or may not take classes, and I had the best intentions about practicing, I really did...

The duffle last year had wheels, but one of the two busted on the walk through Banyan Tree Park and ended up collapsing into the bag, where the wheel left burn marks and abrasions on some things that were inside the bag. Yikes! I dragged it the best I could, and bought a replacement bag in Kaunakakai - this one has wheels like a Tonka truck, and there are three, not two, so I have hopes that it may survive the experience this time.

I will be in Hana Thursday and Friday. Duke had mentioned something about trying to get folks together there. On Saturday I hope to possibly catch the tail end of the Waihe'e kanikapila if it is happening. I would very much like to see Kevin, since he won't be at Camp this time. Then I am dropping the rental at the airport and paying the confiscatory taxi rate to Lahaina. They will be celebrating Chinese New Year that night on Front St (and Friday night, too) so there may be some unexpected percussion to accompany whatever music you may be making!

I had intended to spend Saturday night doing laundry, but I think I could probably be swayed into dinner and socializing instead .

A hui hou!

Boo
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  12:14:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Then I am dropping the rental at the airport and paying the confiscatory taxi rate to Lahaina.

Check with your rental company about drop off fees at the west maui airport. The one time I did that, the extra charge was less than the taxi ride.

See you soon!

Mark
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  2:39:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Check with your rental company about drop off fees at the west maui airport. The one time I did that, the extra charge was less than the taxi ride.

It's a good thought, Mark, but the West Maui rental places close a lot earlier than those at Kahului, and I wasn't sure if I would be finished running around by then. I will certainly consider it as my plans firm up and I have more of an idea how the day will go.

Thanks!!

Deb
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  9:51:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Orrrrrrr,

If by chance Larry and I rent a car in West Maui for the day, go to Waihe'e and meet you there at the kanikapila, we can bring you back after you drop off the car. I have to somehow meet Kevin as he will lend me his guitar.

When we first arrive on Thursday, we get a "transfer" from the airport to Lahaina, where we'll be carless for a couple of days. I didn't see any point in renting a car and leaving it parked in Lahaina for the week, but we can be persuaded to rent one for a day before Moloka'i. Did any of that make sense??

Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  10:02:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I called MOLOKAI OFF-ROAD TOURS & TAXI today and reserved a vehicle (unsure what kind) for 8:45 AM Sun., Feb 5 from Ferry terminal to Molokai Ranch and return pickup at 1:30 PM Sat. Feb. 11.

I told them that there would be lau kanaka on that ferry going to the Ranch, but I don't know what they will do about it, since they hadn't heard from anyone but me. But, last time I called, they said they had 14 passenger vans. You might give them a call at (808) 553-3369 in order to get them excited :-).

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 01/25/2006 10:04:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  11:51:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just called and made my reservation with Molokai OffRoad. They told me to expect a white 14 passenger van with their name on the side to be at the dock at 8:45 on Sunday morning. For the return trip, they gave me a pick up time of 3:00 at the Ranch.

I don't know if they're excited, but I sure am!

Debbie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000