Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Your favorite songs for fireside kani ka pilas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  9:00:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those times that we will gather around the campfire, (I think there is one) I'll be bringing some of my favorite songs printed out with a large font for those of us who are sightily-challenged. If others would like to bring their favorites, we could all learn some new songs that way. I'll make 5-6 copies of each and bring at least:

Pua Lilia
Kamalani O Keaukaha
Pu'uanahulu
Ka Makani Ka'ili Aloha
Kane'ohe
Pua Tuberosa
Lei No Ka'iulani

If anyone wants to learn a particular song, maybe someone here would know it and bring it. We could have a nice little memory songbook to take home with us. Any interest?
Aloha and counting the days, Julie

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  07:52:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie,
Do you have these in soft copy? I am working on a Kanikapila Guide Sheet format that would be useful for kika and ukulele players to kanikapila and am interested in what other people use. I will try and email you a sample KGS for Wai O Ke Aniani for you to look at and comment.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  09:25:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Julie -

That is such a great idea. I'd suggest adding some of the standards like Pauoa Liko Ka Lehua, Hi`ilawe, Ulapalakua, Pua Mana, E Kuu Morning Dew, Molokai Nui a Hina, Manuela Boy, Molokai Slide, Makee Ailnana, like that...

There will be quite a few who are totally new to the scene. Remember those early days at Kalani Honua where no one had a clue how to sing and play togther? You are offering such a gift. Mahalo!

See ya in two weeks.

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  09:54:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie,

I posted almost *all* the Manuela Boy lyrics (with notes) at:

http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=107

and others added even more verses in that thread.

This should ease your burden a tiny bit.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 01/20/2006 09:55:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  8:43:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uh, Mark,

Is there a copier at the Hotel by any chance? I can see that my binders might be pretty hefty after I add all the old favorites... Not that I'm opposed to doing that, I'm just looking at the logistics of this Westward Ho trek.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  04:58:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie and Mark,

There is a techo-alternative to one person schlepping mounds of paper to Molokai or the tedium of going through lots of photcopying.

Julie if you have a Word doc (or several Word docs) with all the songs, Mark, you could email it as an attachment to Campers (I am assuming they have given you their email addresses). Then, each one could print their own copy out and carry it.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  12:16:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Julie -

There is a complete biz center at the Lodge. Also, I plan to schlep my personal copier to camp. It's kinda slow and very clunky. BTW: This is not a camp service, it's the copier I use when I'm in HI. I charge a dime for copies to cover the cost of ink & paper -- and, judging from last year, no none bothers to pony up.

quote:
Mark, you could email it as an attachment to Campers (I am assuming they have given you their email addresses).

Reid -- we don't do mass e-mails any more, nor do we publish the e-mail list, sorry. It's all about spam and privacy. And let's not even get started talking about the copyright issues involved in having the Aloha Camp "publish" the songs to our campers, OK?

Other than that, it was a good idea, tho'.

See ya'll real soon.

cheers,

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  2:54:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

No need to be sorry, I was just trying to share the grief.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  8:24:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another question, then...

No big deal, but Mark, is there someone, a staff person or friend at the Hotel, to whom I might send a package via the Post office with all the music. We've checked out rolling duffles at Costco, but with 2 amps and all the other stuff, I'm not sure I can also include the boxes of paper. I tallied up the favorite songs and had to stop at 40. Make 6 copies of those, and I'll have 280 sheets of paper! I may have to leave my clothes at home! Eeek...

Oh, and Mika'ele, I have not your received your KGS. Will you try sending it again?

Thanks, Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 01/22/2006 8:27:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  07:04:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie,

If you have this in electronic form, please email as attachment to pua @ transcan.com and I'll print out some copies and bring along as well. I'll be coming from Hilo so will not have as much stuff as you. (Also don't have the amps as I decided ukulele and accoustic guitar plus my hula legs would be enough to keep me occupied at camp. sigh. ) Or, if it's only in paper form, you could mail a copy to Lynn Samuels, PO box 10477, Hilo HI 96721 and I'll scan and copy from that, bringing some additional copies with me.

I'll bring along a few of my favorites as well. Is "Hilo Hanakahi" on your list?

Bottom line, let me help if I can. Also, in addition, if you have the actual list (not content) in electronic form, please email it so I don't duplicate.

Me ke aloha,
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  08:41:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie,
Just saw your email and sent the latest KGSs.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  09:43:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Mark, is there someone, a staff person or friend at the Hotel, to whom I might send a package via the Post office with all the music.

Julie -

Send it to yourself, in care of the
Aloha Music Camp
The Lodge and Beach Villlage at Molokai Ranch
100 Maunaloa Ave
Maunaloa HI 96770

You will have to send priority mail or ups 2nd day to be sure of delivery in time for camp -- standard mail can be slooooowwwwwww.

The address and phone number is also is on our faqs page, BTW.

quote:
2 amps and all the other stuff

TWO AMPS??? Like, one for clean tones & one for fuzz??? Does this mean I have to hire a drummer?

Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  9:50:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mark,

Yes, two amps. One for Larry's Kona Walkingstick bass (he's really into bass now, but our 3/4 upright is not a good traveling partner), and then a small microcube for steel guitar lessons. So yes, upon closer inspection, you may see scantily clad me because there will be no room for clothes! Yikes! A truly frightening prospect.

Lynn, I don't have Hilo Hanakahi, and as soon as I get the final list, I'll post it here. Thanks for your helpful offer. I think I'll make two-sided copies and so cut the volume in half. That might make it allright...

Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  7:52:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha e kakou,

So when I started on this project I was really optimistic! I've since whittled down some of my favorite songs down to 40 or so, and I plan on doublesiding the copies, then mailing the box to Camp. It should be quite doable. Haha... I've also considered bringing my He Mele Aloha book as well as George's Camp songbook, just in case we need them. So here are my choices:

Blue Hawaiian Moonlight
E Huli Makou (for a couples hula)
E Maliu Mai
Hanalei Moon
He Punahele No 'Oe
Hawai'i Aloha
Henehene Kou 'Aka
Holei
I Kona
I'll Remember You (Kui Lee)
'Iniki Malie
Ka Makani Ka'ili Aloha
Kanaka Waiwai
Ka Wailele O 'Akaka
Ka Wai Lehua A'ala Ka Honua (maybe)
Kamalani O Keaukaha
Kane'ohe
Kaulana Kawaihae
Kaua'i Beauty
Kawaihae
Keawaiki
Koke'e
Ku'u Hoa
Ku'u Lei Awapuhi
Lei Aloha, Lei Makamae
Lei Nani
Lei No Ka'iulani
Lei Ohu
Mahina O Hoku
Maika'i Ka Makani O Kohala
Maile Swing
Maunaloa
Meleana E
My Yellow Ginger Lei
Nani Kaua'i
Opae E
Pane Mai
Pauoa Liko Ka Lehua
Pua Ahihi
Pua Lilia
Pua Mana
Pua Tuberosa
Pu'uanahulu
Sweet Lei Mokihana
Sweet Leilani
Ua Like No A Like
Ulupalakua

These are all in the key of F, C or G. Makes it easy for ukes and some guitars. Everyone can bring their favorites, and we'll be exposed to lots of songs! When do we get to sleep?

Mika'ele, I was impressed by your guide. It is an excellent format for a small study group. At camp, I assume folks will know a lot of the songs, but just need the words and chords. However, if you've finished several songs in this format, I would love to see them.

Just one more week! Is anyone starting a football pool?

Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 01/29/2006 7:58:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  04:16:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie,

I detect a bias in your song picks:

28% of the songs begin with K, and over 50% of the rest begin with either H, L, M or P.

What will the pool be? What is this thing called football? And why should it be in a pool?

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  8:53:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: