Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Aloha Camp For Kids and Families
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ETC
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  1:02:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to pass along a few thoughts for those of you who may be considering attending the Aloha Camp on Molokai this summer with your families. I recommend it. We did it last year for the first time and had such a good time that we are returning this year. My son, who will be 9 this year, has picked up the uke and likes it so much that he asks me all the time when we are going to move to Hawaii. Although we are in the heart of slack key music right here in Texas (I wish), I have a hard time coming up with a satisfactory answer. But to get back to my topic, there were a good number of other kids there, some younger and some older, and they all seemed to have a good time together. Lots of shells on the beautiful beach and a great place to relax. There are several classes for the family members and they were really fun. Both my wife and son sat in on some of the craft and music classes and had a great time. You hear a lot on this board about what a great family atmosphere it is and for once that statement is not just hype. Its true. The Beamers are wonderful people and the faculty and staff of the camp really go out of their way to include everybody in the genuine Aloha spirit. So for those of you who may be wavering on the edge of signing up and bringing the whole ohana I say go for it. You'll be glad you did.
Slack in the heart of Texas

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  1:31:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ETC is correct. AMC was a fantastic experience for my children. They too, out of a clear blue sky--or a leaden, wintery one for that matter--will ask when we are going back. I think my girls were the youngest kids at camp and they were included in plenty of things and were enveloped in the aloha that pervades AMC.

I do have a bit of a caveat to add, though. It is a selfish one and has nothing to do with camp not being appropriate. My girls were 4 (a rather precocious 4) and 2 when we were at camp. Despite how wonderful everybody (instructors, administrators, staff, everybody) was, there was only so much kids of that age are able to be involved and independent. Although my wife did have a good time (and was a registered guest with full previleges), she got saddled with over 90% of the child care duties. And I (through only my own personal foibles) as a guy who isn't comfortable shirking my responsibilities totally, did not feel quite as free as I would have liked to take part in all the fun that camp has to offer.

ETC's son (Eric?), at 8 (last year) and now 9 was/is probably primed for more independent involvement, making things even more fun for him and requiring less time from parents.

So after all that, I highly recommend the camp for the whole family, and I suspect we will all go back together in another few years. In terms of R and R for parents, though, I might not recommend it for kids under maybe 6 or 7 (which I think was about the next youngest bunch in AMC 2005's cohort.

Jeff (very happy camper, despite the caveat).

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000