Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Reporting from Moloka'i and Maui
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  5:47:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where to start? Hmmm...

First of all, a very grand kanikapila at Waihe'e on Saturday the 4th. A great group, it was so much fun, and it was just what we needed to gear up for Moloka'i. I actually got to meet a retired legislator who represented me for years when I lived in Santa Clara Valley. (He wants to take ukulele lessons from me...)

Sunday morning we got to the Ferry mooring in Lahaina to the beautiful faces of Keola, Moana, Mark and Annie, Reid and Sarah, Islandboo, several others we recognized, and some who were newbies. The crossing was pretty rough, the channel quite choppy. Once on Moloka'i, we piled in the shuttle to the Ranch, where we were "forced" to eat and drink and drink until the Kaupoa Beach facility was ready for us. We met and partied with old friends and made new friends, like Sil and brother Gerry. I knew from first meeting that they were going to be trouble! Not too many people were interested in the Super Bowl, there was a lot of action outside on the veranda.

Although at that point I was ready for a nap (the Ferry left Maui at 7:00 AM) I didn't want to miss a moment of the camaraderie. At 3:00 PM we were brought to Kaupoa, where I got my first look at the "tentalows". Fairly interesting concept, especially the open-air bathrooms and the composting toilets... The environmentalist in me went right to work trying to figure it all out.

The week flew by like a demon. So many new things, so many whales to watch, so many songs to sing. I took steel guitar from Fred Lunt, thanks to the generosity of Kevin Brown who lent me his late uncle's steel. Also took ukulele lessons from Pat Cockett. AND ate so much I had to loosen my pareo several times. The food was great, the people were fantastic. Several nights we played music by the campfire on the beach as the moon became fuller and fuller. Sil and Gerry made themselves very popular by entertaining the troops. John turned out to be a real trooper because he would just bust out his uke and play circles around us all.

It was quite cold at times, and I could have kicked myself for not bringing my ski clothes. By Wednesday I had lost my voice and could no longer sing. I call that my "husband's holiday."

As the week progressed, people started twittering like little birds getting ready to perform for the student concert on Friday night. It was a grand show, so very entertaining. Most of the classes gathered their courage and performed grandly. Aah, those bright lights!

I have to say that we were so very blessed to make such wonderful new friends. I was not aware of any discord anywhere. When you get that many people together in close quarters...

Um, no bread run. Too busy playing.

Auntie Nona, who is usually such a bright light in camp, was unable to come. We tried to shine back for her. At camp time, she was still in Honolulu for medical care, but on all our minds.

Back on Maui, the party continued with the Slack Key Masters concert at the Ritz, which turned into a big blast as we celebrated the Grammy Award winners who played on the compilation CD. Ozzie Kotani, Cyril Pahinui, Ledward Kaapana, Da Ukulele Boys, Keoki Kahumoku joined host George Kahumoku Jr. and guest Martin Pahinui on stage. Chickenskin time. Lots of friends from camp in the audience made it a memorable evening.

I am working on the contact list for those of you who signed up. Took something like 750 photos, which I will cull and make into a CD for anyone who would like a memento of camp. I may have to charge a few $ for time, material and shipping costs.

So now I am back home, far richer for the memories and all the wonderful people I met. A most phenomenal two weeks which will stay with me for a long, long time.

Waaaahhhh, it's supposed to snow here in warm California tonight

Aloha, Julie

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  4:10:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Auntie Nona, who is usually such a bright light in camp, was unable to come. We tried to shine back for her. At camp time, she was still in Honolulu for medical care, but on all our minds.

Julie, I know you, and everyone in the `ohana, will be very happy to hear that all those prayers and aloha is working. Aunty is out of the hospital and doing much, much better.

Annie and I had breakfast with Keola and Moana this morning -- it's Keola's birthday (hint: he's younger than me, slightly.) Keola said that he's getting the best birthday present possible: knowing that his mom is recuperating.

Let's keep the aloha flowing. And don't forget to send in donations to her scholarship fund. She's very close to reaching her lifetime goal, thanks to your generosity.

me ke aloha,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  06:28:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Mark,

Can you tell us more about the scholarship fund and where to send contributions?

Mahalo,

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  3:47:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Thanks Larry -

Here's the info from Keola's website:

Mom suggests if you want to send kokua, please make a donation to the Beamer Family Scholarships c/o Kamehameha Schools, 567 South King Street, Suite 200, Honolulu, Hawai'i 96813.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000