Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Kumu Charles Ka`upu Joins Aloha Camp `Ohana.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  3:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Every now and again I get to share a secret. This one is huge, and I've had to hold it in for so long.. but now it can be told:

Charles Ka`upu will be joing the staff for the 2006 Aloha Music Camp at Kaupoa Beach, Moloka`i. Keola called me with the news this afternoon -- it's something we have been working on for several years and we are extremely honored to have him join our `ohana.

As you may know, Charles Ka`upu is a respected kumu hula and chanter who has toured with the group Hapa for many years. He will lead classes in oli and give workshops in hula and Hawaiian culture. Charles' family comes from Moloka`i, so we can be sure of an amazing learning experience.

Here's a link for some more information: http://www.hapa.com/105/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=15

If you love oli, hula, or wish to learn more about Hawaiian culture, do not miss this opportunity to study with one of Hawaii's most revered kumu.

We still have openings for June: www.alohamusiccamp.com.

More exciting news to come!!

cheers,

Mark

Edited by - Mark on 03/07/2006 3:18:55 PM

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  07:33:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night Cedar and I had the great pleasure of seeing/hearing Hapa in Seattle. We were with Gary and Susan Polston (AMC 2005) so it was even better.

Charles opened with a beautiful, booming chant that really set the tone for the evening; when he finished you could hear a pin drop.

He then said, "howzit," and this being Seattle, a lot of folks in the packed house replied with a hearty, "howzit." He laughed and said how great it was to say howzit and not be given a puzzled look.

For those who have seen Hapa in person, you know how well Nathan and Barry balance each other's musical sensibilities. But I submit it was Charles' chanting and playing his large ipu that really provided the foundation for last night's gig.

I can hardly wait for camp!

Aloha,

Larry
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  7:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And speaking of camp---get yer reservations in pronto (including cars, if yer goin' dat way): seems it's graduation weekend & things are booking up very fast. (got my car today, but he had to check what was still available---I may be bribable <EG>)

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000