Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 AMC Ukulele-ers: Pua Pakalana alert
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  07:59:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PBS Hawaii has a wonderful Thursday night show, Na Mele. Well, this past Thursday they did a marathon several hour show including Emma Veary. She sang "Pua Pakalana" written by her daughter, Robyn Kneubuhl. It was incredible. Learning that song at AMC was a real breakthrough for me, opening up a new path to seeing what lovely songs are being written now in the Hawaiian music scene. Mahalo to Pat Cockett for shining the light in that area. If any of you are on the islands right now, it looks like the show will be repeated (I hope) Sunday night at 7pm.

And now I see that Robyn will be the ukulele kumu for June AMC !! Wish I had the time and moolah to be there.

I'm posting this on another thread as well as this show is not to be missed. And, if you want to pledge $250 to PBS Hawaii, you can get the DVD.

Me ke aloha,
Lynn

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  10:07:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the heads up, Lynn. We are indeed honored that Robin will be joining us this June. She'll be teaching `ukulele and Hawaiian songs and singing. Should be quite a class!

Her song, "Pua Pakalana," is tuly beautiful.

She graciously agreed to replace Pat Cockett, who's spending the summer in Brazil - well, winter, actually. He's looking to learn cavaquino - the Brazillian version of the `ukulele -and to get deeply into choro and samba. Look for some exciting music to come out of Kaui in the near future.

And to round out the `ukulele faculty: Kaliko will again teach beginning `ukulele. After his amazing classes last February I told him he owns the class. And I'm doing classes in advanced melodic finger style playing. So we'll have a very well-rounded `ukulele department at dear old Aloha U this summer.

I wish you had the time and moolah to be there, too. But then, I wish I had the time and moolah to be in Hawaii and watch this amazing PBS special!

As Cindy Combs says: "Ukes, Not Nukes!"

cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2006 :  9:52:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just lucky to have a gig that allows me to telecommute! (Most of my clients don't realize I'm in Hilo.) Not to rub it in, but they just did a repeat tonight of the Thursday night Na Mele program.

Me ke aloha,
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  9:57:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Waaaaahhhh
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic