Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Correspondence Lessons from Ron Loo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  6:32:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just noticed on Ron Loo's Web site that he offers correspondence lessons, in case anyone is interested in personalized lessons but doesn't have access to a local instructor. Lessons are $25 each. For more information, see:

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Arena/7009/ordrnfo.html

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  6:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see he has some method books as well. Have you tried them? I've never heard of him, but that means almost nothing. (And I'm sure he's never heard of me.)

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  10:23:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You can read Sarah's review at http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44

I borrowed one of Sarah and Reid's books/cassette tapes once and was impressed by Ron's patience. His approach was different compared to what is out there in that there was one cassette tape per song in the book. The tape took you measure by measure - or maybe it was series of two measures. It seemed excellent for a beginner especially if you've never played guitar before. By the end of the tape, you've put the whole song together. This is not to say that an intermediate or advanced player wouldn't learn something but they may feel that it is moving too slowly. I really like Ron's books from what I saw.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2002 :  6:34:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Each of Ron's "notebooks" comes with a spiral bound notebook and 7 cassette tapes (in a nice vinyl case for the set), each of which teaches one song (all the songs are old style). There are three notebooks in all, varying in difficulty from easy for the first to medium/hard for the third.

As Andy states, Ron is very patient and takes 25-45 minutes to go through each song. He breaks each song into sections and then goes through each section measure by measure, spending extra time on measures he thinks may trip you up. The spiral bound notebooks contains complete tab for each of the songs, along with general information on Ki Ho`alu and tablature.

There are only two downsides to these notebooks as I see it. First, the nature of the audio material begs to be on CD rather than tape. Second, Ron does not play through the songs from start to finish so you know what the song sounds like. He does play through each section from start to finish after he's taught it, but if you're like me you want to get the complete song in your head before you start learning it.

I've spoken with Ron's wife Denise and she said that they have considered going to CD but haven't figured out how to best break up the tapes into tracks. I've already converted four of the tapes from the first notebook to CD so she asked me to send her a copy to see how I did the tracks. I've also pieced together the complete songs from the sections and added it to the CD so hopefully she'll like it and use it as a model for their own CDs.

In any case, even with these two minor annoyances the notebooks are fabulous, and the closest you can come to having a slack key master in your home teaching you a rich reportoire of songs.

If you do decide to order, you can and should buy from Ron directly. Each notebook is $46, shipping included (not bad if you consider you're getting over 3.5 hours of instruction). You can send a check or money order to the Loos at:

Pila Nahenahe
P.O. Box 5124
Kaneohe, HI 96744
(808) 239-4241

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 12/07/2002 6:38:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2003 :  11:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha T/P O'hana's

Just wanted to add my thoughts about Ron Loo's packet's. ( book and tapes. )

My personal opinion, This is one of the best I've seen yet! It's like having Ron right there with you. The tapes are great! the book has all the songs. (instructions are easy.)

I've been playing slack key for 30 years, and someone gave me Rons packet, I listen to it and even learned some different licks.

Believe me, you won't be sorry you got it.
I don't even know Ron Loo, but I know that his product is great!!!!

I heard he's son is starting to play along with his dad.

I just wanted to give my thoughts about Ron's packets. Now everything is up to you.

Malama Pono
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  11:31:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like others, just adding some notes about Ron Loo. I believe he was at least partly responsible for a jump in the popularity of slack key instruction in Hawaii when several years ago he hosted a weekly series (lessons) on Hawii Public Television. I know that this is how I started on my own slack key journey and I looked froward to his show every week. As others have said, he is an extremely patient instructor.

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  7:13:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wonder if there's any way to contact Hawai`i Public TV (KHET?) and get tapes of it. Musta been after I moved to the mainland.

BTW - Welcome to da PNW John! E komo mai!

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.

There's no regrets; only good times.
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  11:10:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the welcome, Bruddah Chrispy. Though it's definitely not Hawaii, the PNW is also a very beautiful place and we like it here. Olympia is a lot more small-town than we imagined it would be and people are very friendly here.

As for KHET having tapes of Ron Loo's lessons, I never thought of that. Maybe you should try and contact tehm and see if they'd make it available. And as for the time frame, I would guess that it was somewhere around 1999-2000.

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

kahaokamoku
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  04:06:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is all interesting. I think that I was in Ron Loo's first slack key class some 30 something years ago. On a search for ukulele tabs, I ran across old Ron. I also had him for philosophy and a classic guitar class. The classic guitar class was a interesting group. It was heavily made up with some of the best guitar musicians in Waikiki at the time. Ron would play a piece. We were suppose to learn and read the music. Funny, most of us played the piece by ear. Ron kept hearing a mistake here and there. He told us to close the books. We played the piece. After that, we had to play the piece without him playing it. I never learned how to read music, but it was a great class.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000