Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Recommended Listening for AMC Summer 2006
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  7:52:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One year ago I was playing and listening to as much slack key as I could in preparation for Aloha Music Camp. One year later I am doing the same thing, despite the fact that I will not be making the trip to Kaupoa Beach this year. I just got a CD that I heartily recommend to all Hawaiians-at-heart, whether or not you are going to AMC this summer, but especially if you are.

I think it was about a month ago my family and I were at the last concert stop on the Hapa mainland tour (in Ashland, Oregon). In typical fashion I had no cash on me to purchase music/memorabilia after the show, but my girls fell in love with Charles Ka`upu (the chanter). After the fact, I went on line (no local music stores around here) and ordered his CD. It came a couple of days ago, and I can't stop listening to it.

As those of you going to AMC know by now, Charles will be teaching there this summer. Charles' oli has always been able to raise the hairs on the back of my neck, whether in concert or on Hapa albums. (To be honest, I'm a soft touch and that probably isn't all that hard...) But Charles' own, recently released CD is a fantastic window into the cultural history of Hawaii; a guided tour through the mythical land and seascapes of Hawaiian historical and spiritual heritage that can't help but resonate strongly if you are committed enough to be attending the music camp. It is also beautifully produced and put together. Even though my eyes are still able to read CD liner notes usually w/o the assistance of lenses, the artwork is so beautiful it makes me nostalgic for the days of LP art.

Enjoy. Wishing I were gonna be joining you all on Moloka`i.

Jeff

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000