Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 string questions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brooklyn
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  5:14:00 PM  Show Profile
I'm just starting to learn slack key and I had a "what kind of strings" question for all you experienced players.

I am learning to play on a Martin 000-15 guitar (a 1990's reissue) that I bought for cheap because the former owner tried to hammer in a peg strap in an over eager manner and scratched up the bottom of the guitar, then tried to re-stain it himself.

I think the guitar has the original strings on her, (I named her 'Brownie' because she is that dark mahogany color)...so she's had the same strings on her for at least 6 or more years.

What kind of strings should I put on Brownie? I read something about specific slack key strings in a post a while ago...

I put her in Taropatch tuning tonight and she sounds so mellow and nice, even with the old strings. Also, should I clean up Brownie? She's got some dust on her.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Rlowenote
Akahai

84 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  07:37:25 AM  Show Profile
My vote would be for Elixir Strings. They seem the quietest strings to my ears for the many slides in Slack Key. D'Addario EXP's also work for me. I haven't tried the other coated strings yet. Some people have better luck with other brands as well.

Ralph
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  08:20:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
she's had the same strings on her for at least 6 or more years.

At this point, baling wire would be an improvement!

Seriously, old strings will hamper your ability to tune. Why? Because they cannot reproduce all the overtones correctly. And if you can't tune, you would enjoy playing as much, so you won't play as well as you can.

There have been dozens of posts on the subjct of strings, so I won't chime in with my favs But buy some new strings today! In fact, buy a dozen sets so you can change them when they start to be hard to tune. Depending on your strings, your hand chemistry and how much (and how hard) you play, that can be as often as once a week. Once a month is sorta a practical goal for most players. Elixers and their ilk can last longer.

quote:
Also, should I clean up Brownie? She's got some dust on her.

A clean guitar is a happy guitar. Just use a nice soft cloth. She'll purr for you when you're done.

cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  11:26:04 AM  Show Profile
I've used Elixer strings for the past year and a half, and love them. They get my vote too.

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page

pastorharry
Aloha

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  1:00:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit pastorharry's Homepage
Elixir 80/20 nanowebs, or phospher bronze. I personally use on my Martin 000-16 Phospher bronze lights, but string the high and low E's with mediums for lowered tunings. I hate a super slinky ,clinky type of string,but prefer somthing I can grab on too, especially for pull offs and hammer ons. Aloha Ke Akua, PH

Isaiah 38:20
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000