Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Report from Maui and George's camp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  9:01:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha e kakou,

As we reached Maui, it looked as if the weather would make camp miserable, rain swishing down at a 45 degree angle, cold and wet. But the day of the start of the camp, it warmed up, and although we got short showers all throughout the week, they weren't of any real consequence.

Monday started off with a bang, first class at 9AM, last strains of the kanikapila dying away by 10 PM, a very full schedule. And yet we found time to chat, party, play and sing and dine together, all week long. It just got better and better. There were actually so many classes that it became very difficult to choose. Lap steel guitar or ukulele, guitar or songs, performance class or small group jams, hula or lei-making? Swimming or eating? Playing or sleeping?

As is customary, we learned a couple of performance songs, and two for a wahine hula and a kane hula. For the newcomers, they didn't know yet what would await them at the end of the camp. On Sunday, at the Slack Key Festival in Kahului, George drags all his students on stage for a couple of numbers, and the hula we've practiced all week long. In front of thousands of people! Then most everyone crashes on their blankets and chairs to enjoy the rest of the concert. That night, we went to the Blue Marlin in Ma'alea Harbor to eat, talk, laugh and participate in an open mic which Kevin Brown had finalized. The camp ends on a really high note, as campers slowly disperse...

This year, our own Kapila Kane made such an impression on the audience and the musicians, that he was invited to sit in with Walter Keale, Mike Ka'awa, et al. He spent 3 sets or so on stage, wowing the whole audience and the musicians with his fantastic "fiddle". I dare say he practically floated on air after that! Congratulations, Gordon! You were superb.

One of the really great things about camp is the nightly kani ka pila, where we are all seated in circles like layers of an onion, and anyone can lead a song, or request one from the instructors, who are present. The microphone comes around, thanks to the never-ending labor of SuperSoundMan Lawrence B. You can sing a favorite song and everyone plays with you, or you can showcase a piece you've been working on for years all by yourself. Then we get occasional visitors like Auntie Edna, who wrote another song for us to learn.

There are so many wonderful things about camp, but really the best result is the great ohana we've become over the years. Many of us attend every year, and it's great to see old friends and visit over cocktail hour or 10 PM dessert time. Newcomers are welcomed and added to the family. (If they want to be) To all of you reading this, there really isn't a better way to learn Hawaiian music and culture than in one of these workshops. If you can possibly swing it, try to make it to one next year.

OK, enough said for now. Pining away for that Maui sunrise, roosters, Francolin quail, lawnmowers, tree trimmers, and all... A cacophony of the tropics! Julie

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  06:30:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo for including this newcomer in the ohana!! I was overwhelmed to tears of joy and have my reservation for next year. And I learned everyone's name and made so many new friends.
mahalo nui loa to all - - it may have the Kahumoku name, but they bring the joy which makes us all ohana.
Go to Top of Page

kaleponi
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  05:47:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aloha
does anyone have the group pics from the maui camp this year?
had a great time, but no one has gave a review
ahui hou malama pono kakou
big greg
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  08:38:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My head is still swimming with memories of this wonderful camp. It just gets better and better... Sheila snd I had a great time. Highlights for me would have to be Bob Brozman's great slack key tools class all week; Ozzie's master classes; Kevin's Punalu`u class; George's key modulation classes; working up a duet with Jim Garson for the open mic; Hula O Maui happy hour at Bob and Barbara Lee's most afternoons; and mostly the great kanikapila's every evening.

Here's a link to a group shot from Kahumoku Kamp. Apologies to those with dialup connections, but if I reduced the size any more, individuals would be too difficult to see.

Kahumoku group shot - 2006

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  9:51:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
E aloha Big Greg,

I did take a lot of photos, and also Garth (our new friend) took a bunch when we were on stage at the Festival. I just now need to find the time to sort through 750 photos and condense them into a CD, which will be available to campers for a small handling and mailing fee. (I hate to even charge for this because it is a labor of love, but I do have some time and material expenses.)

Individual shots via email are probably more trouble at this time, because I am on a very tight deadline at work and have very little time when I finally do manage to make it home. Oh, gotta go and do laundry!

Bye, Julie

Go to Top of Page

kaleponi
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  05:56:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mahalo dusty and julie
me and my nephew adam ( the dobro player ) nad a great time with
all the campers and many thanks to uncle george and nancy for making
it a fab time.
adam is back in mill valley and Iam home in L.A. but almost 2x a week
we talk he says I cant wait for next year, he and brozman are getting
together of more good times and uncle kimo and I will get together
at the san diego uke fest.
will their be ice cream tonite?
big Greg
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  8:44:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can only imagine camp 2006. George's camp experience is still one of the highlights of my music life. Hopefully, someday I can hear those dozens of guitars playing sweetly in the breeze again. I'm happy for all who attended the camp but I'm still green with envy.
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  9:14:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, this evening's selection includes 50-50 Ice Cream, a lovely blend of Vanilla with Orange Sorbet. Accompanied by a Chocolate-Hazelnut filled Pirouette.

Cheers! Julie
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  8:14:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Damn, Julie-- you left out the lilikoi liquer....
Yeah, camp was heaven. The in-between spaces were the best. Standing on the shuffle board court during an amazing sunset, playing with 'mighty fingers' Jim Garson, Melinda singing "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight". Having Auntie Edna present a song about George winning the Grammy, and, gawd-a-mighty, that's the song I've been looking to write for the longest time but she beat me to it. Giving a lei to Uncle Cyril, to remind him of his ever-present inclusion in aloha. Keeping up with wise-cracks with the inimtable Bob Brozman. Shedding tears when Kevin, Cyril and George play 'No Ke Ano Ahiahi'. The tent patroll. Breakfasts with the stalwart few who could make it. Being the 'bird man of Napili'. Swimming in the sea in between all those amazing classes. Chanting with Ku'ulei, dancing with Evalina. Making lei, lau hala and many ho'okupu. Supper performances! Masters class with Ozzie. Watching Wally move while he cooks. Music on the front porch, back porch, side porch, and a choke other porches. It was a real "Shoot me now, cause it's never gonna get bettah dan dis'" time.
Can we go back??? Now????

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

garson
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  06:33:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit garson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The best was the sweetly budding friendships. But not enough time. Next year 8 weeks not 8 days, everybody OK with that? Does anybody have the words and music to Auntie Edna's tribute to George? It truly was a dandy.

Jim (in exile in Texas)

Jim Garson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000