Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Hawaiian Slide Guitar workshop w/ Owana Salazar
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2002 :  12:19:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Stop the press, I just got home from my third night in a row of attending a Hawaiian music related event in NYC/NJ. Unprecedented!

I braved the traffic into NYC and lucked out - there was no traffic! I zoomed in, parked on the street, grabbed a quick eat and went to Owana Salazar's slide guitar workshop.

Since I knew zero about slide guitar, I had a clean slate to work with. Unfortunately, but lucky for us students, there were only three of us so the workshop was more of a semi-private lesson. Owana talked story, gave some history and proceeded to go over technique, the proper way to hold the bar, etc. We went over 3 exercises in A Major tuning (E-C#-A-E-C#-A), which Jerry Byrd faxed over today, plus one song - "Sweet Lei Lehua". In fact, at one point, there was a question about the tab so next thing you know Owana is on the cell phone with Jerry! Question answered by the source.

It was a really nice intro for me. A big Mahalo to Nersa and Brandi of the Hawai`i Cultural Foundation for letting us go an hour over (3 hours total!) and for graciously listening to me make all sorts of bad noises. Owana mahalo! That was so much fun.

Andy

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2002 :  1:46:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
cool, i hope he comes up to washington sometime, ive got a lapsteel but dont mess with it much, the sounds i get out of it unfortunatley sound more like freebird than hawaiian haha.

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2002 :  3:01:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aw kihoalukid, you just missed them. Led Ka'apana and Owana Salazar gave a concert 10/13 & Led held a workshop, actually it became a second concert the next day at Dusty Strings. Owana is a she; I think I've seen "Princess Owana" somewhere. I missed the concert. Now I know better.

Reid and Sarah say Led at least will be touring again in April. Maybe he'll be back here. Keep hoping.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2002 :  6:02:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that would be Princess Owana Salazar... she. For anyone interested in Hawaiian slide guitar, I'd recommend visiting the site of the HAWAIIAN STEEL GUITAR ASSOCIATION. Owana spoke highly of her teacher's (Jerry Byrd) book/video instructional course. See more at http://www.hsga.org/learning/byrdcourse.html.

Finally in the discussion about proper technique, it seems that beautiful vibrato heard on the slide guitar, should come from the wrist - not the arm or shoulder. The importance of this was underscored by the injury of a really great slide guitar player named John Ely. There is an article titled "Frozen Shoulder" Blamed on Steel Guitar Playing if anyone is interested in reading more.

Pauline - I'm still envious that you all got to attend Ledward's workshop mini-concert. I wished for the same, but he was heading home. I don't blame him. Especially when Led commented, "Wow, nice weather here... just like Hawai`i." He said this with a big grin since it was about 40 degrees outside.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000