Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Lark Camp goes Hawaiian!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  9:06:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lark Camp was a blast!

It takes place every year in an old camp east of Mendocino, California, in the redwood forest dotted with rustic little cabins. It was traditionally a camp for all kinds of folk music, and several years ago, Mark Nelson took it one step further by offering slack key and ukulele sessions.

This year, Kevin Brown came and gave some instruction on slack key and Hawaiian songs. We had so much fun, I was sorry to leave after the week was over.

Everyday at 5:30 we had Ukulele Happy Hour at Aloha Land, which was an area set aside for the Hawaiian activities. Several days it was so happy we became hilarious with some of the songs. After dinner, my favorite jam was the swing/blues/rock jam, which often lasted until the wee hours of the morning. Last year there was Tuba Jam at 3 AM !!!! Who has time to sleep?

Over the last few years, I've come to know many of the campers and instructors, and I'm just amazed at all the talent there. This, like other music workshops, has become a reunion of sorts. There are so many accomplished musicians, it's difficult to choose your classes. One of the charms of Lark is that there are all kinds of music, from Celtic to Irish, Andean to Mexican, French to Middle Eastern, Belly dancing, bass lessons, guitar, hurdy gurdy, you name it!

If anyone is interested, go to www.larkcamp.com.

Aloha, Julie

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  1:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, fun was had.

Mahalo nui to Larry and Julie for driving Kevin up & back (and for singing and dancing with us at Lark, Boonville & Caspar), to Michael and Marybeth for the hospitality and kokua -- and all the great music. And to Phyllis (ooh, hope I got it right -- I was fuzzed) and Kailani for the flowers and the wonderful hula in Boonville; to Cathy Green for the sublime hula in the swing tent, to Ilio Nui for making it happen on the south end, to Puna for gentle guidance with the finer points, to Lanamalie for keeping the bar open and for writing the key, and to everyone who came to our classes and workshops.

Yes, Lark Camp has every kind of music and musical instrument imaginable: French hurdy gurdy, zydeco accordian, Greek bouzouki, Irish harp, oldtime banjo. And Kevin Brown jammed with every one of them! Go Kevin -- you are the man!

Most of all I want to thank Mickie and Beth for letting this happen, and Kevin for agreeing to fly across the Pacific and land in the middle of Mendo-musico-madness. See you real soon, brother.

Yes, we will do this again next year. But first I have to sleep for about a week.

cheers,

Mark

Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  02:26:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha, and Mahalo a nui loa! to all of you that made the trip to california a memorable one. It was a long 3 week but enjoyed every minute of it, You are all so special.

I could really feel the aloha spirit at the Lark Camp, ( especially the 5:30 kanikapila.) It was like we were all back in hawaii having fun, eating, singing, laughing just having a wonderful time, if it was'nt for the 50 degree weather you would think we were all in Hawaii, after all we had torches, pareo's, lei's, and our own personal beach. Mahalo Mark,Annie, Eric (puna.) Kurt, Julie and "Bruddah" Larry, I will never forget this years camp and the many friends i've met that made it special. Thank you Julie and Larry for the long journey i really enjoyed every minute especially the lunch in mendocino, thank you for your wonderful hulas. I found something for the little ones. Eric the thermos were pefrect, and the..."SHOYU". Mark i will see you in 2 month thanks again.

Kawik's and Mark L. mahalo for setting up the coffee house in santa clara and the island grill in santa cruz, Thanks kawik's for the tour of santa cruz and being a tour guide, Bruddah Tim mahalo for letting us lay our heads down in your wonderful home, the food, the late night jam that was special. ( Aloha Island Grill.) jus like home. Mahalo again Kawika and Mark L.

To Patrick and his ohana mahalo for opening your home, it was nice to see the family again, the last night was great, how did the party turn out? We'll see you in 3 weeks.... Looks like we both needed some R&R.

Mahalo everyone! I will always remember your friendship, and it all started here at Taropatch.net......Not trying to advertise for Lark Camp but once in every musicians lifetime, you have to try the camp at least once, it's an experience you will never forget. Especially coming from a small island it's a whole new world.

Me Ke Aloha
Kevin.... mahalo Joe B. and Joann. ( the gate house.)

Michael and MB your hale brought warmth and aloha everytime we walked in, mahalo for opening your home to us, and the wonderful evening at Laurens and great concert in Caspar, thank your mom ,sister and kailani they were wonderful, and annie

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  05:20:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo Bruddah Kev,

It's an honor to help. You enrich my life nui loa.

F4E - Kawiks
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  07:11:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mark asked me to post this cool picture Julie took of Kevin Brown
at Lark Camp. Yes, he's playing ukulele with gloves on!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  09:15:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ho, da funnee! Kevin, you are too much. Next it will be mittens.

(OK, it is like the "paper bag trick".)

Great Pic Julie.

Mark, how could you figure out which string he was fretting - it looks as if you are writing it down? Nice hat, BTW.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  10:25:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even better, Kevin was playing with us at dusk (very low light amongst the redwoods), wearing the golves (and the hat), and was still playing MUCH better than most of us...including several finger-picking solos!

Puna
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  10:48:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought it was summertime..... am I missing something?
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  4:42:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha! Ha! Looking at the picture now it's so funny, but that day although the sun was out it must've been in the very low 60's. I know everyone must be smiling or laughing 60???... funny thing is my legs were ok, ( all i had was short's.) but my hands they were like ice, playing the ukulele with the gloves on, I was'nt even thinking about how or what it looked like, all i needed was something to keep my hands warm. Nancy remember what Mark Twain said,"the coldest winter he ever spent was a summer in San Francisco", well mine's was a summer in Mendocino...haa haa... Eric mahalo for the hat it sure came in handy when the sun went down.

Reid after looking at the picture your right, Mark how did you figure out the key's i was holding? Thanks everyone for such a wonderful time at Lark.

Me Ke Aloha
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Caspar Annie
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  7:22:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha,
It was such a pleasure to meet you all. The temperature might have been cold for Kevin, but everything else - music, hearts and spirits - were warm, warm, warm. Mahalo nui loa Kevin, Mark and Annie, Julie and Larry, and, of course. Michael and MB.
Annie
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  9:20:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the looks on their faces, I would say that they both had trouble figuring out that chord!

Kevin was right, the sun may have been out but it was chilly. But it was still Lark Camp, and that's one camp I wouldn't miss for the world, even if it were snowing. Of course, Larry and I were quite comfortable after retiring in our RV, because we had a heater! I can only imaging the cold the others had to endure in their tents or the little rustic cabins of the Woodlands.

Pua Kai, after the sun set behind the tall redwoods, the warmth went with it. Those redwoods transpirate a lot of water each day, hundreds of gallon a day for each tree, and it keeps the area VERY cool. Therefore the jackets and hats.

So you see, we were "forced" to partake of the Martini bar at Happy hour, it was in self-defense. A little anti-freeze in preparation for the all-night jams...

Until we Lark again! Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 08/22/2006 9:25:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  9:30:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AAAAAANND! This is where George Kahumoku should post: "Bro, come to our camp, you won't need any gloves!!!"

George's camp is, of course, on Maui in June!

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  05:26:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha,
I agree with Mark Twain. Frisco is SO cold in the summer with the chilling wind and fog. And in the winter too. And it's cold here in Feb and June. And if it's below 70, I go looking for cheap flights to Hawai'i, or following Keith's example, go look for real estate. Julie - I hope you post more pictures of Lark Camp. It sounds gorgeous and it's been years since I've seen the redwoods - - since all my vacation time goes to Maui..... At least right now the water's as warm here as it was at Napili in June with better surf and worse snorkling. I'm guessing it's really really cold in Seattle in November... but warm in Los Gatos in September. And cold at North Pole any time (If you like Kevin's picture, go look at Karl Monetti's bio/pix)
Sounds like a wonderful adventure that has to be on the short list of things to do and places to go.
Mahalo for sharing!!
n
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  09:42:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...(sob!)...wish we could have a camp down here in San Diego.
As for playing with gloves on, that ain't nothing compared to Karl up in Alaska, your right. That bugga plays with the big Polar bear/moose mittens. ha ha
~slkho
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  11:43:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slkho

As for playing with gloves on, that ain't nothing compared to Karl up in Alaska, your right. That bugga plays with the big Polar bear/moose mittens. ha ha
~slkho

Yes! Members should look at Karl's photo in his profile.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  1:53:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frisco???????????????????????????????????
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000