Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Ozzie workshop - 11/16/2002 - Palo Alto
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  01:13:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We had a full house at the Ozzie workshop at Gryphon strings. Several of us were already buzzing with the fun of our get together at Gary's house.

Ozzie passed out tab for five tunes, and we worked through four of them in our two hours, including a lovely but simple "Aloha Oe." It was great fun bringing my new Wingert guitar along with the maker to a guitar-head gathering like this, and Kathy was pleased to finally meet her on-line buddy, Frank Ford, legendary repair genius of Gryphon. (See http://www.frets.com for Frank's exhaustive on-line reference to guitar maintenance and repair.)

After the workshop we were treated to a great ukulele jam and song fest - Gryphon must have the best uke selection in the greater SF Bay Area, and there were some folks there who were well qualified to take them for a test drive.

Fun fun fun,
Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2002 :  3:24:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Fran, do you or anyone else have a current email address for Ozzie?

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2002 :  9:37:38 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The email address that I have for Ozzie is oz1 @ gte.net
Sulle'
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2002 :  10:14:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that is Ozzie's email. Please note that a reply may take a while since Ozzie's a very busy guy.

The Ozzie workshop at Gryphon strings, show and get together at Gary's sounded like it was a lot of fun.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2002 :  2:49:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Between the get together, workshop and concert it was a fun "slack key weekend".

For those of you who missed it, there were nine of us at the pre-workshop get together: taropatch members rossasaurus, jsulle, jmilke, fguidry, lawrence and Timothy Dang along with lawrence's wife Cynthia and luthier Kathy Wingert.

Cynthia added some variety by bringing her uke and songbooks. Rossasaurus played a nice version of Hi'ilawe. Jsulle showed off his koa Larrivee with the eye-popping inlay. Island born Timothy sang a few Hawaiian tunes without even looking at the lyrics! Fran brought his recently acquired Wingert guitar (with his stealth guitar tuner ). Cynthia and Kathy did a wonderful job tackling Ulili E.

I've been practicing the duet that Ozzie presented in his workshop. I can play it through although there are a couple of rough patches. I hope somebody is up for playing it the next time we get together.

Gary

Gary

Edited by - Gary A on 11/21/2002 2:51:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2002 :  5:34:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're making me embarrassed, Gary. Kathy kept me up one night til midnight working on the duet, but as soon as she left I went back to my slothful ways.

Since you were so successful in getting people together, I think you should become the Grand Poobah of the SF Bay Slack Key Society, and call the next meeting <g>.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2002 :  11:46:49 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I agree fran, Gary would make a great "grand poobah" and I would be glad to support him in any way I can. Count me in.... Sulle'
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000