Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Aunty Nona Documentary Film
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2007 :  12:20:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha all -

I just returned home from the Aloha Music Camp, where we began work on a very exciting new project.

Last fall, I sat down with documentary filmmaker Kenny Martinez Burgmaier (you may know him from the films he's done about Keola Beamer and John Keawe). We'd been talking about documenting the Aloha Music Camp for years; but at this meeting we discussed Aunty Nona's recent health problems and Kenny said, "We have to do it now! Let's just start, and we'll work out the details later."

So that's what we did: Kenny and his crew shot over thirty hour's worth of footage at the February camp. Our aim is to document Aunty Nona's life and work - her stories, songs and dances - and relate how our Aloha Music Camp follows her lifelong dream of spreading Hawaiian culture.

The film crew will be back this June, so please come and share your mana`o (thoughts) about Aunty Nona and how your life has been enriched by Hawaiian music, dance and culture.

And here's your chance to document and share your songs and your performances, too. (Though I have asked Kenny to cut out my personal trainwreck at the ho`ike. )

We have some more details about the film, and how you can help support it, on our website: www.alohamusicamp.com. Although we don't have a firm wrap date, we expect the film to debut early in 2008.

Mahalo.

Mark Kailana Nelson
Aloha Music Camp

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  11:51:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so glad that there will be documentation of Aunty Nona. She knows so much...way more than can ever be saved for posterity. Mele, hula, wala`au and on and on. Luckily, as well, there has already been some great films of her sharing her hula knowledge on the Hula Preservation Society's web site. This web site is wonderful. It was established to preserve and record the hula kupuna as well as to serve as a research and teaching source for hula and `oli. Please check it out. I love the hula pua`a.
http://www.hulapreservation.org/kupuna.asp?ID=7

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000