Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Slack Key Retreats/Camps/Workshops
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2002 :  2:56:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Anyone care to compare/contrast the three major slack key retreats/camps/workshops (and any others I'm missing)?

1. Aloha Camp (Beamers)
2. Maui Slack Key Workshop (Kahumokus)
3. Hawaiian Slack Key Retreat (McMasters)

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2002 :  5:19:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not a picker, but folks who are, have been vocal in singing the praises (pardon the pun! <g>) of both the Kahumoku and Beamer "camps". Not only are George and Keola masters of slack key guitar with decades of performance, recording, composing and touring experience, they are _excellent_ teachers -- an artform which not all slack key masters possess.

Having been born and raised in the islands, with an upbringing steeped in Hawaiian language and traditions, is just the icing on the cake for anyone who wisely chooses one of these camps to expand their slack key prowess!

George is the "kupuna" of hosting slack key camps -- ensuring that attendees learn not only slack key guitar, but also Hawaiian traditions. He gets them actually working a lo`i (taro patch), fishing, gardening, and then working together as a group to prepare the meal (kewl, eh?). He also brings in many other master players, such as Ozzie, Cyril, Led, etc. -- varying them from year to year. Details for George's 2003 camp are here:
http://www.kahumoku.com/workshop2003.htm

Keola is new to this, having debuted his first camp just a year or so ago -- but with assets such as Moanalani and (mom) Nona and others teaching hula, as well instructors for slack key, `ukulele, nose flute and chant, these camps offer diversity too. Details for Keola's 2003 camp are here:
http://alohamusiccamp.com/

-- auntie maria
HAWAIIAN MUSIC ISLAND www.mele.com

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2002 :  10:43:45 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
aloha all,
The McMasters are new to the camp/retreat scene with 2003 being there first year. The McMasters are wonderful people and I wish them the best of luck with this endevor. Unfortunately my buget does not allow me to attend all the camps or I sure would. I attended both the Kahumoku and Beamer camps this year and am registered for both in 2003 as well. I can't say enough kind words about either of these camps and would encourage anyone interested to enjoy as much of this experience as you can buget for. If I could only attend one of these camps I guess I would have to just flip a coin, it would be very hard to choose. the Beamer and Kahumoku camps are very different but both are must do in my opinion. Happy camping in 2003, Jerry
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2002 :  11:32:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I attended the first Beamer Camp in 2001, then went berserk and went to the Beamer Weekend in April 2002, then the next camp in August 2002. I also went to George's in June of this year, and am wondering why I still live in California when my heart is obviously in Hawai'i. Oh yeah, money $$$. Tha's why.

The two are very different, but oh so wonderful and informative. Not only did we get to study music and technique, we also made dear friends that we have enjoyed ever since, and we continue to learn new things all the time. I wouldn't want to miss either workshop, which is why I left retirement and went back to work in Silicon Valley. (Choke) I don't think I could choose between them.

Keola's camp is in the middle of nowhere, at a resort where healthy food is the norm and nature's wonder is all around. It's remote and quiet, except when certain campers are practicing from the moment they wake up, and the night owls kanikapila into the early morning hours. Sometimes all the laughter makes it difficult to nap in the afternoon. Sooo much to do and sooo little time. Oh, and there was instruction in ukulele, hula, watercolor painting, leimaking, chant and language as well. And if you can catch Keola when his funny bone is working overtime, you'll laugh your head off. Pretty wonderful people.

George's kanikapilas had to break up by ten because there are other guests at the hotel and quiet time starts at 10 PM. Shucks. The food is authentic, down to the laulau that you can join in preparing. The scenery is magnificent, wonderful sunsets, but there are lots of tourists around. Then the big finale is playing with George ON STAGE at the Slack Key Festival in Kahalui! GULP. I only knew 5 chords! There I was on stage, in the very back! Of course, George and Nancy are so gracious, you can't help but love them. And so you see, you really have to go to both to get that well-rounded musical personality that we all seek. See you there, Julie.

Edited by - Julie H on 12/05/2002 11:37:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

aplenty
Akahai

62 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2002 :  04:16:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit aplenty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha everyone!
If you are interested in the details about our 2003 retreat and us, please download a copy of the brochure from: http://www.alohaplentyhawaii.com/retreat.htm
(May 26-June 2 - Hanalei, Kauai)

The 1-day intensives are structured similar to one day of a retreat. The clinics are a combination of technical classes and history along with topics chosen by the group attending. http://www.alohaplentyhawaii.com/skclasses.htm

In regards to how to decide what you will attend... our advice is:
Listen to the artist's music and those that will be participating/teaching... see what touches and stirs your soul... nothing else matters... follow your heart and you will learn just what you need to.

If you have any other questions about our work, Doug and I would be happy to talk with you. Our email is mailto:aplenty @ gte.net Phone is (808) 826-1469.

We're very happy that so many people are working to ho'omau (continue the tradition) of ki ho'alu. Every artist and retreat will have much to offer... and be experiences to cherish.

Keola Beamer & Family... the Aloha Music Camp
http://www.alohamusiccamp.com

George Kahumoku Jr. and Friends... Maui Workshop
http://www.kahumoku.com/

There are also a lot of short clinics and workshops happening in many locations. We feature these in our free Aloha Ki Ho'alu newsletter which is sent every week or so. It also includes listings of upcoming slack key concerts organized by location and date. You can sign up for the newsletter at http://www.alohaplentyhawaii.com/ap_free.htm

E Ola Mau Ki Ho'alu
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2002 :  2:48:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven't been to George's camp but plan to someday. Aloha Camp was really magical. See Julie's and my posts at http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=272.

To quote Sandy's post:
quote:
In regards to how to decide what you will attend... our advice is:
Listen to the artist's music and those that will be participating/teaching... see what
touches and stirs your soul... nothing else matters... follow your heart and you will learn
just what you need to.

Of all of the wonderful players we've listened to, Doug's playing moves me like no others. He has had the most effect and influence on my playing. He is a proponent of "Old Style" Ki ho`alu. It suits me.

Alas, there will be no camps for us this year. Sheila's car had to be replaced.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2002 :  8:01:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mahalo everyone for your feedback...all very helpful. One more question. If I were to bring my 6 1/2-year-old daughter would that change your recommendations, given that I would ideally like her to be able to do more than just sit and watch me practice?

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2002 :  10:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Craig,
At the Kahumoku workshop there were several young people in attendance. I don't recall any children at the Beamer camp (although I am sure they would be welcome). I would lean toward the Kahumoku workshop if I were taking children since the location is closer to local attractions and offers more options for those who would prefer to be a tourist part of the time. By all means take your daughter to whichever camp you decide on. Let her experience the aloha that is so evident at these gatherings. Priceless!!!
Sulle'
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2002 :  09:51:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jlsulle says:
quote:
I don't recall any children at the Beamer camp

Well, there was you and me.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Turtle Song
Aloha

47 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2002 :  03:57:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coming in late on this topic, my 12 year old son attended the Beamer camp twice and had a ball. He'll be back this year as well. There was another child at the last Beamer camp.

The teachers do a wonderful job of including these young enthusiasts!

The seeds for the flowering of our personal peace are within our hopeful, but fragmented, selves. Reflection and silence compose the winds that nurture our simplicity that is the essence of beauty. - Frank Howell
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2003 :  10:39:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I decided to attend George's workshop, partially because of the dates and partially because I like Keoki's and Ozzie's teaching styles.

FWIW, if you plan on attending George's workshop and haven't reserved a room yet at the Mauian, you may want to do so...there are only 7 rooms left as of today.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

dfpet
Aloha

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2003 :  01:27:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Craig,
Glad to hear you are coming to George's workshop. Diana and I will be attending also and look forward to meeting more of the taro patch ohana. JlSulle' and DFPET

Diana
Go to Top of Page

Popoki
Akahai

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2003 :  9:42:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone been to the Waimea ‘Ukulele and Slack Key Guitar Institute at the Kahilu Theatre on the Big Island? I've heard it's a great weekend with a concert and workshops, but don't know anyone who's gone. You can check out last year's info at http://www.kahilutheatre.org/ukulele_02.htm Would love to hear from someone who's been to it!
Aloha, >^..^<
Go to Top of Page

Lanakala
Aloha

12 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2003 :  3:03:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Popoki

Has anyone been to the Waimea ‘Ukulele and Slack Key Guitar Institute at the Kahilu Theatre on the Big Island? I've heard it's a great weekend with a concert and workshops, but don't know anyone who's gone. You can check out last year's info at http://www.kahilutheatre.org/ukulele_02.htm Would love to hear from someone who's been to it!
Aloha, >^..^<

Text
Text
Hey, I went there. Stayed at the same B&B as Ozzie, Led, Jake and Gordon.

Concert was a 10. I had no ticket and it was sold out so I hung out and tried to buy an extra, but, someone just handed me a front row ticket before the show and refused to take money for it. Can you believe it?

The slack shops were basically small 6 to 10 people. Ozzie shared lots of tab, Led played and talked story. We were instructed not to bring recording equipment, but they said it would be ok to bring it next year. Basically, the classes are short, 2 hours max. So, you just try to get technical ideas to help in your playing. For example, O.K. showed me how to hammer-on/PUSH(not pull)off and anchor points that make transitions smooooooooooth. Any questions you have will be answered.

The best classes were the improvisation class with Jake Shimabukuro and Led and the master slack class with Ozzie. The uke shops were BIG, 30 +. Sat/Sun nites feature a kanikapila w/everyone on stage and soloist are encouraged.

Accomodations are reasonable. 60 to 100 per.
Got extra insite and story as Led was in adjacent room !? Ahh memories......(led opens my door and says "hey brudda, you want to hang wit Ozzie and me?" reply: ummmmm........ok

Lots of uncrowded places to go w/gorgeous drives to the North. Visit Waipio Valley overlook at dusk!! Important travel tip. Don't try to go to the top of Mauna Kea and then go to class the same day. YOU WILL GET SICK.

Rating from 1 to 10..........11

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000