Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Cyril Pahinui music camp?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

les_maverick
Lokahi

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  11:35:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit les_maverick's Homepage  Send les_maverick an AOL message  Send les_maverick a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Braddah Don:
I wish I knew about this, maybe be I could have extended my stay on the
Big Island another month.
Aloha,
Les
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  5:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sheesh...it starts today, and today is the first we hear of it. Why so late???

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  9:41:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Don,
Cyril's web site is not really working... when I click on Schedule... no mo' nothing.
Are there any more details that you can post here?
Where at Puuanahulu? What time?

I can't make the jam at Uncle Billy's cuz I have a gig in OceanView, but my web cam
at http://www.konaweb.com/ looks right at the makai lawn. Maybe some taropatchers
from the mainland would enjoy watching you folks.

Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  07:13:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everybody!

I really don't have any answers BUT, yesterday the workshop did happen there beneath Mana...Mauna Kea on Uncle Alika and Aunty Lilinoes Hawaiian Homes in Waimea, Big Island Hawaii. There was lots of music, students, lessons and kaukau (food)! Cyril, Sonny Lim and myself with a few students from Big Island and California.

This morning, Thursday! from 10am we will be at the Big Island Country Club in Puuanahulu.

Tommorrow...somewhere in Kona?

Saturday 12noon on the lawn of Uncle Billy's Kona Inn the workshops
continues and a mini concert at 2:30pm to 5:00pm

I know this is workshop was short notice. Best you all email chelle @ cyrilpahinui.com or cyril @ cyrilpahinui.com if you have any questions!

Much Aloha to All!

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page

cyril
Lokahi

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  08:53:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit cyril's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha to all,

I was sorry to read this posting on your website. I believe my family and our history speaks for its self. I am very proud to be Hawaiian and to have spent my entire life (50 of my years) in Hawaiian music and playing Kiho'alu. I learned on the knees of my dad, Atta, Uncle Sonny, and Leonard Kwan and several other master musicians of their time. That is something few people today can honestly claim, As well, my family has freely been sharing with and teaching many of today's best musicians for many years.

Also, I did post this year's and last year's workshop on Taro Patch some months ago. We did have an excellent and quality turnout including some of the Paniolo musicians from the Parker Ranch in Waimea who had just returned from the 100 year celebration of Purdy's visit to Wyoming. It was an unbelievable once in a life-time experience for those who came.

To set the record straight and to eliminate any pilikia, I have asked my wife to help me with this posting.

FYI

The Na'alehu Theatre sponsors the George Na'ope He Huaka'i e pana na i ke ea (A Journey to bring pulse to the Living) and Ho‘ike A‘o Kanikapila on Hawai‘i Island the first week in December.

The Na'alehu Theatre has hosted such an event annually in Ka'u for the past 10 years including the Mark Twain Festival now being presented for the first time this year by the Ka'u Concert Society. This workshop and concert have been held in Ka'u and have featured Keoki Kahumoku and his students from the local schools (all paid for by the Na'alehu Theatre) and it has received sponsorship support from OHA, SFCA, CoH, HTA, QLCC, CPEP and several private foundations and businesses annually for these 10 years.

Three years ago it was decided by the NT BOD (and at the request of several communities) that the event would not be held only in Ka'u and instead would become an outreach activity that would travel to communities on every island. Beginning on Hawai'i Island. (although it has already been held on Oahu and Kaua'i over the past year. And moves to Molokai and Maui in 09).

Two years ago this event took place in Pahala and was directed by Keoki Kahumoku who was then hired by the Na'alehu Theatre to manage the camp.

As the camp is designed to visit mele wai pana it travels from one community to another and holds cultural workshops/kanikapila/educational programs that include local cultural practitioners, musicians, kumu hula, kupuna, and much more.

I was also hired and paid by the Na'alehu Theatre to teach at that time and that may be where this person took the class from me. That is also where I met my wonderful wife Chelle who is the Executive Director for the Na'alehu Theatre and has worked with George Na'ope to develop this program. I was then asked by Uncle George, a long time friend of my dad and my family to take on the Director role for this program and to expand it on every island.

The Kahumoku camp has selected the following weekend to continue their annual work in Pahala. This project and Keoki Kahumoku's teaching at the local schools is no longer sponsored by the Na'alehu Theatre (after more than 5 years). It was suggested that they select a different schedule (out of respect for our past support and ongoing work under HUla Master and Kupuna George Na'ope) however, they have elected to keep it the second weekend in December. Since this camp and the He Hu'akai do not conflict in schedules, content and feature different instructors participants can select to attend both.

Last year's camp took us up the Hamakua coast where we learned E Hamakua Au, Boy from Laupahoehoe, and into Waipio Valley where in addition to several other regional compositions I taught Hi'ilawe at the base of the falls. We even swam in the pond and worked in the taro patches. The community came out in whole and provided the most wonderful luau ever! Everything came from the valley!!! And the kanikapila and hula went on for hours.....We then traveled to Waimea where we visited the Ranch and learned Kiho'alu form Leabert Lindsey and also learned to rope a calf. Then down to Kawaihae to learn three of its namesake songs and to climb with the Kahu and Kupuna up Pu'uokala to see the ancient heiau now under water and visible only from up there and at low tide. For those who attended these experiences are life changing and most of them and others who learned of the project elected to attend again this year (about 50 participants).

This year's workshops were presented by five Hawaiian Slack-key Guitar and Ukulele master musician/trainers under Program Director, Cyril Pahinui. The three days of workshops this year held at Waimea Homestead, Pu‘uanahulu, Pu‘uwa‘awa, Hualalai, sites in Kailua-Kona including He‘eia Beach featured mele wai pana.(regional compositions for traditional/cherished places). Participation was a mix of local, mainland, Japanese and Mexican students including local youth who attend on scholarship. In-school performances were provided at Kanu o ka Aina Charter School, one private school in Kailua-Kona, and the Hawaiian Emersion School. A Kanikapila style concert concluded the workshop and was free and open to the public.

Primary goals of the project are to strengthen community identity while retaining and creating community cultural anchors and to reinforce community social, cultural, and economic values while providing employment opportunities for Hawaiian cultural practitioners and community members.

We are planning to visit Kohala (July) and Hilo (first week in Dec) in 2009 and will also hold 2 such workshops on Kaua'i, 2 on Oahu (one this weekend in Waianae), in addition to our ongoing monthly Waimanalo workshop), also one on Maui and one on Molokai in 2009.

To find out more about these workshops please call me directly at 808-722-8575 or email me at cyril @ cyrilpahinui.com

Cyril Pahinui
cyril.cyrilpahinui.com
Go to Top of Page

cyril
Lokahi

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  11:52:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit cyril's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha,

Thought you might like to see this clip from our last Huakai.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2lCYlLqbro

Can't wait for this year's one.

A hui hou, Cyril

Cyril Pahinui
cyril.cyrilpahinui.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page