Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Tacoma vs. Taylor
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

joeycastaneda
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  12:26:30 AM  Show Profile
Help.....I've been researching info on my next guitar and need help from the people of TaroPatch.

What do you recommend, Tacoma or Taylor and which model? Which guitar compliments the slack key sound?

Aloha,
Joey

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  07:50:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Aloha, Joey,

First, I would recommend that you include Martin, Gibson, Guild, and Larrivee in your consideration. They, along with Taylor and Tacoma, make lots of fantastic guitars, and some that are not so fantastic, on an individual guitar basis.

Second, you might be wise to evaluate models and brands on what I call geometry - the shape and size. Nut width, bridge string spacing, body size and depth, and so on.

Third, you'll get the best guitar by playing lots of guitars. You'll get the guitar that speaks to you, you'll learn about the range of possible voices, you'll find the one with the extra mojo. Brand and model will only get you into a very big ballpark.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  10:56:22 AM  Show Profile
Joey,

some are gonna whine. I'd suggest you discount the lot. Larrivee? psuedo designer guitars, and I've played an awful lot of their guitars. Gibson? Hav'nt made anything (other than Les Pauls) worthwhile for 70 years. Tacoma? Excuse me, can I pay a hundred for a twenty dollar guitar? Please please please.

There is no 'slack key guitar', only advertising. Play what sounds good to YOU. ANY guitar will compliment any style. Period. What is important is if YOU like how it feels in your hands. If it happens to be a $200.00 Sears special,then so be it.

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  11:06:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
piffle, I'm sure you were trying to throw in some postmodern hyperironic transhumor in your reply. I'm not sure this is the best possible medium for such efforts, but one never knows until one tries, right?

Since you have such a vast range of experience, would you mind sharing your preferences, letting us know what guitar you chose from all those you've tried, and why it spoke to you?

Thanks,
Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  11:07:54 AM  Show Profile
Almost forgot,

Taylor. Some of the nicest sounding and finest playing guitars I've ever played, seriously..........if you can get over the 80% retail mark-up...and the need to spend 40-60% more than the norm for similar quality insturments.

its what I do for a living.

I am

Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  11:18:08 AM  Show Profile
Apologies Fran,

I didnt mean to step on any toes. As a retailer of musical insturments..........my numbers are accurate. As a guitar player for 35+ years, I have played a lot of guitars.

It will come down to personal preference. Nothing more.

If you like Larrivees, good for you. If you like paying the 65% markup for a mass produced guitar..good for you.

My preference leans towards the less expensive. Something that can be modified endlessly, and lost in a drop, and not break the bank....but thats just me.

Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  12:14:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi joey,

i think that both fran and the commander are right; no one knows which guitar is right for you. there's budget, your ego, what you like to look at, and what sounds good in your hands. don't be in a rush, go play a bunch of guitars, and you'll find one in your hands that you won't want to put back down.

in hawaii, i've seen great players getting beautiful music out of baby taylors, vintage martins, guilds, gibsons, rainsongs, ...

enjoy the hunt,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  1:46:27 PM  Show Profile
I liked Fran's comment on geometry. Some shapes seem to work better and more comfortably for most people as a sit-down fingerstyle guitar. Note all the qualifications - some, most, seem? I've been semi-seriously considering getting a shorter scale guitar to make fretting stretches easier. The ease of ukulele playing was a real eye-opener.

Don't overlook nylon string guitars. They are used by many slack key players.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  2:41:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Joey,

Get a Taylor... ha, don't you wish you could get such a simple answer?!?!

Playability and sound is what it looks like everyone is saying here. Which one feels best in your hands and sounds best to your ear? If you want a second, third, fourth opinion bring some friends out shopping with you. It's great to have someone else play so you can listen without being behind the guitar too.

Good luck with the search.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

edkalama
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  2:59:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit edkalama's Homepage
Aloha Joey,
I have a reasonably cheap Ybanez acoustic guitar and I say "cheap" only compared to other very expensive slack key guitars that some of my acquaintances play around with here. Everytime I go to a store and try out the expensive models I always get overwhelmed with the sound quality and I always got the urge to consider replacing my guitar. However, as soon as I get home I always made it a point to play my guitar right away and surprisingly I could swear that mine plays about as good, all the time. So one day, I brought my guitar with me and revisited the stores - played their expensive ones and then played mine at the store. Guess what, although the high-priced models played a little bit better, they were definitely not $1000 better than mine. Furthermore, when we plugged into an amp., no difference at all.

I agree with everybody's advice above. However, if money is not a problem, buy the best sounding model you can afford. Of course, you know that this will not be your first and last guitar!!!!!

Oh by the way, you may also consider an advice I got from a fellow guitar player long time ago. He said that if you really enjoy playing the guitar (like everyday!), figuring out how much to spend is not in the same category as groceries, necessities, etc., you just go for it. I agree with him too.

ed

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  3:22:13 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Joey,

Lots of good advice posted here already. I'd say, from my experience:

1) take a friend(s) with you, preferably one who can play, too, so you can hear the guitar "out front" as well as from the playing position

2) try out a lot of different guitars, and play the kind of music you intend to use the guitar for

3) buy the one you like best/the best you can afford/ the one you can't put down!

And, remember that over time one's ears can change -- one's appreciation and sensibility -- and so that this guitar might not suit you after all in a couple years, but don't worry, that often happens.

good luck!
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

oaklandslacker
Aloha

China
47 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  4:36:20 PM  Show Profile
A good resource is http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/ . I'd hardly call the recommendations the final word - guitars can be an ego thing, and not many people want to give a bad review to a guitar they own. But it gives a good idea.

I think people are right-on with what they're saying about trying them out. Also it depends what you want it for...Dreadnoughts sound great at home, but generally aren't used for live performances. And it depends on the price - I'm holding on to a Larrivee D-3 I hooked my brother up with. I don't see how you could beat it for the price.

Mark-ups are a part of the business - but many sellers will bargain or match prices, throw in a case, or whatever. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ and Guitar Center are more-or-less the same company, for instance, so at least ask for the web-site prices.

It's worth saying that there isn't a slack-key standard guitar - different musicians are using different instruments.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  4:44:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by cmdrpiffle

Apologies Fran,

I didnt mean to step on any toes. As a retailer of musical insturments..........my numbers are accurate. As a guitar player for 35+ years, I have played a lot of guitars.

It will come down to personal preference. Nothing more.

If you like Larrivees, good for you. If you like paying the 65% markup for a mass produced guitar..good for you.

My preference leans towards the less expensive. Something that can be modified endlessly, and lost in a drop, and not break the bank....but thats just me.

Hey, no need to apologize. I went to your website listed in your profile - anybody whose whole site is a big beautiful picture of a charming Golden Retriever is my kind of guy.

But don't Korean imports have markups too?

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  5:18:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Don't overlook the used guitar market either, especially if you already know what you're looking for. I've purchased five guitars through eBay (three of which I still have) and have been pleased with all of them...of course buying a guitar unseen isn't for everyone, but you should be able to find used guitars locally as well.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  7:07:37 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Fran,
Ah,ha....my Monterey. Yep, especially in my case.
Bought it from the organizer of another musician. Kinduva an idol worship thing. but I've made a lot of modifications myself, it'll make .5 past lightspeed....she'll get you there.

Thank you for the words about my dogs. I closed my site a couple of months ago. I just have those pictures on it. I love folks to see my babies. When I was at camp in Hawaii this Aug. I got a message from the states that I had lost all 3 of them.

Joey....I kept forgetting to mention an important area. USED
INSTURMENTS, pre owned, post fondled, etc. A lot of times this allows you to pick up an quality sounding insturment, while avoiding a lot of the markup. And dont forget. An amazing number of people didnt realize that the commercial musical insturment business is similar to vehicle sales. Stickers are a guideline, if buying new or used. Whenever possible, play and test a guitar. Usually you would want to avoid mail order, although there are some ripping deals there to be sure.....because you dont get a chance to play the insturment. test test test.

Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  7:16:54 PM  Show Profile
INSTRUMENT INSTRUMENT INSTRUMENT...

I swear my evil laptop changes letters as I type them.

Okay, better now.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000