Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Good Luck to SCSKS Members & others in the Fires
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  1:20:51 PM  Show Profile
Just noticed that 250,000 people in San Diego County have been asked to evacuate.

A Real Serious fire is going on down there.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 10/26/2007 10:48:00 AM

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  4:48:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Sadly, it's not the first time some of our SCSKS friends have endured this problem. I have been meaning to post to see how our SoCal `ohana were doing. Thanks Lawrence for doing so. SoCal Slackers, please check in when you can.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  03:46:47 AM  Show Profile
I emailed Terry yesterday, but no reply yet. Of course, if he and Mary left, they couldn't respond.

There is a gross map of fire extent at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/23/us/23calif.html

that shows fires to the north and south of San Diego proper, but folks like Dusty and Keith live to the north.

Google Earth overlays show fire areas just to the west of Encinitas, Carlsbad and Oceanside, but it is hard to know how accurate those are. Coronado Hills, farther inland, is certain.

We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  04:01:33 AM  Show Profile
Here's a slightly better map of the fires than the one from the NYT.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2007/10/22/2003968510.gif

Larry
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  05:35:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
The wind has picked up again (0700) but it is only about 25 knots. I live in a man made harbor on the north end of Orange county and we are in pretty good shape so far. Behind me is an open stretch of land housing a naval weapons depot so it is a good buffer.

However, when northeasterlies blow it comes right down the channel where we live. I have doubled and redoubled the docklines on my 32 foot trawler a number of times. Still, we are far better off than those in San Diego county, parts of Orange county, the San Gabriel mountains, and parts of Los Angeles county and northward. Right now the only thing we have to contend with is the possibility of fires caused by downed power lines. The fires have swept from rural to urban areas, however, and the risk is still high although reports indicate the winds should start to decrease late this afternoon.

I've lived in this particular place since 1976 and this is longest sustained blow I've experienced. latimes.com is a good source for fire information.

Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1018 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  05:42:13 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the good thoughts.

So far, we're still home. We've had the cars loaded and ready to go since 7:00 am Monday. No idea how we missed this one, since we got nailed the last time. The fire is everywhere but here. Dusty bailed at 3:00 am this morning and went to Temecula. Mike McVay got evacuated last night and is with friends in La Mesa. Don't know about Keith. Rik Nieves was told to evacuate, but stayed put and came through ok. It's a mess; 300,000 evacuated and no end in sight to fire. My son lives on the edge of the Harris Fire in Chula Vista and has been waiting all night to evacuate.

Edited by - chunky monkey on 10/23/2007 06:55:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  07:06:02 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the updates, Terry and Sandy. We're thinking of you -- and Dusty and Keith and other TPers there -- and hope you and yours will remain OK throughout this whole thing.

me ke aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

bbenzel
Lokahi

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  4:44:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit bbenzel's Homepage
We're also packed and ready to go if necessary but so far no imminent threat -- Ken was here for a while today -- it was an excuse to suck up some well aged barleywines -- and he has gone back to his house. Ken's looking at the fires to the south of his place burning in the Lake Hodges area and hoping the wind doest shift to a southerly flow. We're looking at the ones to the NE of us in Fallbrook and hoping that it doesn't shift more to the north.

Bill & Vicki
Go to Top of Page

T-Dan
Lokahi

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  5:59:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit T-Dan's Homepage
Up Santa Clarita way we are surrounded by at least three active blazes, but our hillside has been spared so far. Plenty evacuations in Canyon Country and Stevenson Ranch, but many are back home now...One person died up here today...Lots of smoke but no where near as severe as the San Diego area...Pray for rain!
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  7:34:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Please stay safe in the midst of the fires. I will definitely pray for rain because you guys sure need it.

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  8:40:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Been packed and ready to go since Monday morning...will hopefully unpack tomorrow but still can't go back to work due to road closures. Kids have the week off school.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  7:58:34 PM  Show Profile
Hard to figure out what to say --
Thinking of you folk and praying for you
Go to Top of Page

T-Dan
Lokahi

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  8:11:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit T-Dan's Homepage
I drove to Monrovia today for a funeral, which is about 45 minutes southeast from Santa Clarita. On the freeway I counted no fewer than 25 firetrucks barrelling down the highway...Trucks from San Jose, Sunnyvale, Tehama County, Kern, Santa Clara, Bakersfield....Nearly all from Nor Cal heading south to help with the multiple blazes. It was awesome to see on different levels...It was great to see so many crews from miles away heading down to help...
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  8:43:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
We are having a drought and as much as we need the rain that is finaly falling tonight I truly wish it was falling on The Flames. Thoughts and prayers go out and up from Delaware.

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  02:48:26 AM  Show Profile
Paul and I send out good thoughts and best regards to our California friends who are impacted.

I was so amazed and the extent of the problem really hit me very hard when I saw pictures from satellites and you could see the smoke at various different plates...from space! How frightening and devastating for you.

Wanda

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

justinalderfer
Aloha

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  06:00:37 AM  Show Profile
I had the pleasure of meeting and performing with Mike, Bill, and Terry at Kaisan's a few weeks back. Having endured five major hurricanes down here on the Central Florida coastline, I know the hearted-ache of seeing homes ripped apart. The only positive thing is the sense of community that ensues these types of disasters. Please be safe guys and I hope to see the SCSKSers at the SoCal Slack Key Festival.

My sincere condolences,

Justin

ka loku mele kaona
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000