Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Live Music on Oahu and Kauai
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  10:45:22 AM  Show Profile
I'll be on Oahu this Thanksgiving through Saturday, then off to Kauai for 5 more days. Any recommendation on where to catch some live music.

Mahalo!

-Mark

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  11:40:26 AM  Show Profile
Sunday go to Honey's at the Ko`olau Golf Course to see Eddie Kamae, Paul Kim, Mike Ka`awa and perhaps Ocean Kaowili (ahi wela!!!!). Also Sunday evening, Martin Pahinui, George Kuo and Aaron Mahi at the Waikiki Marriott. Thursday evenings, Auntie Genoa is also at the Waikiki Marriott. Look for fellow TP'er, Ray Sowder at one of the places on Lewers. Chai's Island Bistro has great music just about every evening, such as Bros. Cazimero and Jerry Santos. Great music every morning at breakfast and ever evening at dinner time at Tikis at the Resort Quest Waikiki Beach (wonderful macadamia encrusted mahimahi). Also check the on-line Honolulu newspapers for what's happening musically. All kinds of stuff.

As regards Kaua`i, I am sure Auntie Maria could help you out there.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 11/18/2007 1:00:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  12:13:14 PM  Show Profile
Pops,

Go online and google The Honolulu Advertiser. Pull up the TGIF section. It will list who's playing where, when. I never go to O`ahu without checking this resource.

I love Thanksgiving on the islands (and every day too). Have fun!

dog
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  06:03:26 AM  Show Profile
Here on Kaua`i, we seem to have plenny jazz and rock & roll, but very limited venues for Hawaiian music.

If you're staying in Po`ipu, Sunday night at Keoki's Paradise offers the awesome falsetto talent of Nick Castillo:
http://www.mele.com/music/artist/nick+castillo/in+dreams/

And Leilani Rivera Bond appears several evenings at the Hyatt, including hula:
http://www.mele.com/music/artist/leilani+rivera+bond/

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  07:17:04 AM  Show Profile
Also on Kaua`i:

Ken Emmerson, Pancho Graham and Kirby Keough in the Princeville Hotel Living Room on Sun night. Get there early and see the sunset hula show.

Also, in Hanalei, at Tahiti Nui, is Keli`i Kaneali`i (formerly with HAPA) occasionally performs.

Ken Emmerson and Pancho Graham in the La Cascata restaurant in the Princeville Hotel - Mon & Tues.

Kirby Keough at the Marriott's outdoor restaurant near the pool (in Lihue) - Mon or Tues.

Pancho Graham does a solo gig at the Lighthouse Bistro in Kilauea on Wed night.

Cindy Combs plays at the Hanapepe Cafe on Fridays. This is a MUST SEE. Call for reservations (808)335-5011. Cafe opens at 6 and Cindy starts then. Be sure to ask to sit close to Cindy, when you make the reservation. Friday night is also art night in Hanapepe. The galleries stay open late.

Dennis Chun sings and plays slack key at the Hukilau Restaurant lounge, in Waipouli, on Friday evening.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  07:22:21 AM  Show Profile
What about Doug & Sandy in Hanalei?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  12:44:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
On Kauai, there's a little uke group that gets together at the Senior Center in Koloa on Saturday mornings, and its led by Bruddah Vern. I saw a flyer at the little grocery in Koloa. They were very friendly and welcoming.
Jesse
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1018 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  12:51:00 PM  Show Profile
Dusty covered it. For sure, go see Dennis Chun at the Hukilau in Waipouli (Kauai Coast Resort). Plays in the lounge from 6 - 9 on Friday and if you let him know what you can do, he'll let you sit in (actually, he'll take a break and let you ham it up). A very good performer and does mostly Hawaiian language stuff (he teaches Hawaiian studies at the college; he was also on one of the Hokulea voyages - lots of good stories and history). A real class guy. Tell him Dusty and I (terry from san diego) sent you.
Go to Top of Page

aplenty
Akahai

62 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  6:44:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit aplenty's Homepage
Aloha kakou!
While most on this message board seem to be attracted to contemporary slack key entertainment, there are still a few that prefer the old, original nahenahe style... soft, sweet and at the pace of old Hawaii. More like 'innertunement'... reconnecting to the earth, sky, and sea.

Those who enjoy the old style or would like to learn more about it are welcome to come visit us in Hanalei where traditional slack key lives on... 900+ concerts and counting. Honoring the land, the ancestors, and the spirit of old Hawaii.

Every Friday at 4pm and Sundays at 3pm.
McMaster Slack Key Concerts
Hanalei Community Center
Hanalei, Kauai

Slow down to Kauai time and enjoy! When Nona Beamer visited, she told our audience "The McMasters have gotten it just right!"

Call us at 826-1469 or email for reservations. Tickets also available at our website.
Downloadable map and directions
www.HanaleiSunsets.com

Sandy McMaster

Aloha nui,
Sandy & Doug
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  05:13:26 AM  Show Profile
Correction -- Keli`i no longer plays at Tahiti Nui.

Some of the gigs which have been posted, require either that you purchase dinner, pay a cover charge/drink minimum, or buy a ticket. So here's a quick list of the Kaua`i artists you can view for FREE -- or just sit at the bar, and order a drink while you listen:

Hula -- followed by Ken, Pancho & Kirby - Princeville Hotel - Sun 6:30pm
Nick Castillo - Keoki's Paradise - Sun 6pm (Po`ipu)
Pancho Graham - Lighthouse Bistro - Wed 6pm (Kilauea)
Keli`i Kaneali`i - Saffron's - Wed 7pm (Princeville)
Dennis Chun - Hukilau Lanai - Fri 6-9pm (Waipouli)
Na Leo O Wainiha (old style) - Tahiti Nui - Fri 6pm (Hanalei)
The Happy Hawaiians (old style) - Polynesia Cafe - Fri 6pm (Kapa`a)
Leilani Bond - Hyatt's Seaview Terrace - Wed/Thu/Fri 6pm (Po`ipu)

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

aplenty
Akahai

62 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  06:24:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit aplenty's Homepage
Yes, there is a charge for tickets to our concerts. Also neglected to mention the free gift drawings, discount programs, etc.

The ticket price supports Hanalei's Community Family Center (drug, alcohol, and tobacco free), the Teen Center, their programs and the concerts. It is not supported by grants, timeshare monies, or tourism grants, etc.

There is no free lunch. Other programs are paid either by hotel, lounge, restaurant... most requiring you purchase dinner or drink minimums or cover charges. Some programs are covered by tourism and timeshare monies. They are only there because someone wants you to buy something... tourism is a big business.

How do you want to experience the music? The community center sits in the midst of taro fields snuggled against the Hanalei mountains. Peaceful. Relaxing.

Where do you want to cast your voting/tourist dollars?

Most people interested in experiencing slack key live, want to experience all the different styles and then decide what they like best... same as in any kind of music... old jazz/contemporary jazz... old family music blues/contemporary blues... etc.

Everyone will develop their favorite styles and favorite artists. It's a good thing.

Thank you for your continued support of our life's mission to keep the old, family style of slack key alive and well.
Sandy

quote:
Originally posted by aplenty

Aloha kakou!
While most on this message board seem to be attracted to contemporary slack key entertainment, there are still a few that prefer the old, original nahenahe style... soft, sweet and at the pace of old Hawaii. More like 'innertunement'... reconnecting to the earth, sky, and sea.

Those who enjoy the old style or would like to learn more about it are welcome to come visit us in Hanalei where traditional slack key lives on... 900+ concerts and counting. Honoring the land, the ancestors, and the spirit of old Hawaii.

Every Friday at 4pm and Sundays at 3pm.
McMaster Slack Key Concerts
Hanalei Community Center
Hanalei, Kauai

Slow down to Kauai time and enjoy! When Nona Beamer visited, she told our audience "The McMasters have gotten it just right!"

Call us at 826-1469 or email for reservations. Tickets also available at our website.
Downloadable map and directions
www.HanaleiSunsets.com

Sandy McMaster

Aloha nui,
Sandy & Doug
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  1:20:32 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo, everyone for the wonderful suggestions! My family and I really appreciate it. And Sandy, you were already on our list for Sunday afternoon! I love the old style the best! Thanks, again to everyone for your kindness and giving us such helpful hints. My best wishes to you for a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving.

--Mark
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000