Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 slack key camp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2002 :  9:55:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message  Reply with Quote
so, it sounds like some of you have attended george's slack key workshops in maui? are you under a nondisclosure agreement :-) or can you reveal what it's like there as a student?

wondering,
keith

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  9:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Last August, my fiancée and I attended the 1st Beamer Aloha Music Camp on the Big Island. Haven't made it to George Kahumoku's yet but have heard really great things about GK's camp. We hope to make it at some future date (not this year though). You didn't ask for it, but I'll write a little about the Beamer camp.

Not living in Hawaii, I am starved for a teacher so an opportunity to spend time with Keola Beamer, George Kahumoku, Jr., and Ozzie Kotani was a dream come true. Moreover, the camp was an opportunity to meet 50 other students who love Hawaiian music as much as, if not more than, I do. I should not leave out the rest of the staff: Auntie Nona (Keola's mom), Moana (Keola's wife), Kaliko (Keola's hanai brother), Keoki Kahumoku, Mark and Annie Nelson among others. My fiancée and I had a blast.

The camp was fairly evenly split between those who were there for slack key guitar and those who were there for hula. In addition, there classes for anyone interested in Hawaiian language, crafts, stories, etc. I pretty much attended all the intermediate slack key guitar classes and then dropped in on a language class or two. The days in Puna were packed with classes, and I purposely tried to make every one I could, forgoing the swimming pool and beach. In the evenings the instructors gave informal performances for the 50 or so campers which was relaxed and a lot of fun.

To be honest, it was an intense week. I'm sure it is a lot different from going to a weekly lesson where you would have to time digest the material and practice! Nonetheless, I went to class with my eyes and ears open and tried taking in as much as possible.

Keola's classes:
Keola handed out tabs and spent some time going over those songs which were in taro patch, double slack, F wahine, C wahine. Beyond the songs, Keola held a lot of class discussion including stories about when he was learning, how to get over performance anxiety, practice methods.

George's classes:
For beginners, George's class was sometimes intimidating but his son Keoki was there help out. Keoki is a great teacher in his own right, and I regret not attending his `uke classes. As always, George shared stories, some of which, Auntie Nona encouraged him to continue preserving in printed form for future generations. George handed out lots of lyrics and held group sing/play alongs. George "pushed me" especially in these group songs circles when he had each person take a turn to solo.

Ozzie's classes:
I had previously tried tracking Ozzie down on O`ahu but his schedule was always too tight. I'm glad I finally spent some "learning" time with him at the camp. Ozzie is a great teacher. He gave us tabs and then worked through each song with the whole class. He went through section by section and then walked around the room giving pointers and making sure each person "got it." Ozzie also discussed personal stories about his playing, repertoire and recording.

Conclusion:
One of the unexpected highlights for me was the time spent getting to know Keola and his family. His mom, Auntie Nona, is one special lady. I am honored to have met and spent time with her. It is in Auntie Nona's generation where Hawaiian culture was once suppressed (i.e. no hula or chanting allowed), and today she has taken an active role in sharing Hawaiian culture with the world. Hearing some of her stories were an unforgettable experience.

Kaliko Beamer-Trapp, Auntie Nona's hanai (adopted) son, is also an incredible person. Originally from England, Kaliko has established himself as an authority of the Hawaiian language. He is fluent in several polynesian languages and well versed in Hawaiian chant and song. What a great teacher this guy is.

To conclude, the camp was a unique opportunity to meet all these great people (fellow campers included). You really get a healthy dose of slack key, hula and Hawaiian culture. If you can afford the time and money, I encourage you to go.

You can see some pics from last year's camp here.

Aloha,
Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000