Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Patrick Landeza
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2002 :  10:02:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure how well know Patrick is - he's famous to me because I've been reading SF Bay Area Hawaiian music web stuff for the last couple of years. He has a web site - http://www.patricklandeza.com/ - and two CDs out. After I worked through the Ozzie book I contacted Patrick for lessons, but his schedule was full. He recently found an opening and I had my first lesson this afternoon.

I was hoping to find a teacher who could do two things - help me expand my repertoire, and help me make my ki ho`alu deeper. I think I've found the right person. This first lesson was just playing and talking - Patrick started with one of his tunes, and stressed the virtues of simplicity and respect for the traditions. The time flew by with repetitions of the tune, stories about the old guys, variations on the tune, exercises and feels extracted from the tune, then to round off the tape I was recording he laid down a "Hi`ilawe" that almost had me crying. I can't wait for next week.

Fran

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2002 :  10:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Fran,
It is good to hear that Patrick is back to teaching slack key. I took lessons from Patrick for several months until his schedule became too full to accomodate me. He recently got married and has been recording and playing lots of gigs in addition to his "day job". It is a little difficult geographically for us to get together but I will e-mail him asap as I would really like to start lessons again. I am sure you will enjoy learning from Patrick. He is a very good player and teacher and an all around great guy.

Aloha,Jerry
PS: Tell him ALOHA from me, Mahalo

Go to Top of Page

kihoalu
Aloha

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2002 :  2:19:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalu's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Many of us in Hawaii know of Patrick's slack key very well. I had the pleasure of seeing him a few times when he came to Hawaii. Patrick has roots on the small island of Molokai. I happened to be on Molokai visiting my parents (I live on Oahu now because I have to make a living, bummer!) and he showed up to do a concert and visit his family. This was a few years agom, however, I haven't seen him in the islands lately. If any of you communicate with him, tell him that Hawaii misses him!

Take care,
Kepa
Come visit us at
HawaiiMusicians.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.01 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000