Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 MAUI-KAHUMOKU ʻOHANA KIHOALU & UKULELE WORKSHOP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  04:52:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage  Reply with Quote
JUNE 15-22, 2008. Better check out this line up folks! On MAUIʻS NAPILI BAY! RATED AS ONE OF THE TOP 3 DESTINATIONS TO VISIT!

Weʻre in the Heart of West Maui at THE MAUIAN Hotel once owned and operated by the Aluli ʻOhana. Truly a "local feel" atmosphere. Relax on da beach, just steps from da ocean. You can even cook your own meals if you like in your room or you can join the Kahumokuʻs for some unforgettable GRINDS. Many meals are created by my Dad or myself or our extended ʻOhana (sorry, not a place to diet). And if you came to my room , We had Big Island macnut/avo/papaya fed smoked Pork, Char siu, Kalua pork,and homemade Smoked Portagee sausage...den my cousin showed up and you know we had to fire up dat grill for some thinly sliced teriyaki venison. I know people was smelling dat stuffed ʻUhu wit lup cheong. mayo, onions, fresh Kula cherry tomatoʻs wit oysta sauce topped with celantro fresh roasted mac nuts and hot peanut oil! Da poi from my dadʻs Kalo patch in Kahakuloa that the students got chance for experience, and ley me tell you dea is nothing like fresh poi. I even when make poke but had to hide dat one cause da vegetarians lie! dey lie and eat my all my fish! Auwe. Sorry , I converted one back to the meat side. She when eat da smoke pork and now she stay call every otta month. Iʻm telling you!!! mountaing pig da besses! No hormones, no-anti-dis or dats. All natural. Sorry back to da WORKSHOP!

ʻOhana is the key to what we do. Many of our students have also become our extended family because of our workshop. At our workshop...we do things together, not just the classes but many things all together, teachers and students alike side by side. FOOD, clean up, set up, FOOD, clean up, rest, Food, clean up pass out! My Dad and I, well our goal is to give you a little taste of what life was like not too long ago or even how we live today. Music is important, but not the Most! Try think now???hmmm.. why do we have music? most times for a gathering or one party?!ok? What you need for one Party??? Food. What you gotta do wit dat food??? well, first you gotta plant um or grow um or store buy um, den you gotta prep um, cook um, den you gotta serve um. And den da HArdest part, you gotta eat um, hopefully all or else gotta feed the waste(slop) to da pigs den I gotta eat da pig later...but see how it keeps going on...den when you all pau eat, buss out does instruments and letʻs kanikapila. That right there was my training ground for music..sit down and observe. Easy for osmosis, if your stomach stay full den you can fill your brain and hopefully all dat information will touch your heart so, you can take that gift and share it with someone elseʻs heart!

You know we live in such a wonderful time? Music , especially Hawaiian music was guarded against outsiderʻs. To think the people of the past was so worried about someone stealing their music and calling it there own,which Iʻve seen happen, and still happens till today(just not pono). I guess too many of our people had enough taken away from them, like their rights to gather or even their land or homes taken away. Maybe thats why they may have tried to hold on to it so tight, that it was getting squeezed right out between their own fingers till wow..almost no more? Luckly Weʻve had some of the greatest teachers/friends/Ohana that have shared with us and instilled in me the need for what we do.

Myself as a teacher, Iʻm here to give people some hope! why? because I know what its like to start out knowing nothing. 1990- I knew how to hold 2 chords. I neva even know the names of those chords. I struggled for the first 8 years of my career trying to better myself. When I finally realized, the real reason for me to learn was so I could teach others to better themselves. 2 of my students, Garrett Probst and Peter de Aquino...Started out with me when they were 7 and 10 years old. Now they teaching Ukulele, headlining/ performing all my old gigs on Maui and are 3 time Grammy Award Winning Artists. Look Britni Paiva...she was already very talented before we met. She was 14 or 15? Now sheʻs got 3 Albums??! Most promising artsit- NA hoku Hanohano Award Winner! and gonna be Married! whoa...Students like these have been coming to our workshops sometimes on full scholarships by private donors just to participate and to have an opportunity to sit with some masters. I do hope that they can take these blessings and make it into something. I do these workshops to be there for all you future students. And to you new players out there! keep it up! Find someone to share with the information you already know! Feel the need to share!! Sometimes itʻs not the instrument, you understand? sometimes itʻs the player..( that could be good or bad however you want to look at it!?!)

www.kahumoku.com

if you have any question about workshops post it here and Iʻll try my best to answer!
KK

Edited by - Keoki Kahumoku on 03/04/2008 05:08:16 AM

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  09:41:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Keoki Kahumoku

Look Britni Paiva...she was already very talented before we met. She was 14 or 15? Now sheʻs got 3 Albums??! Most promising artsit- NA hoku Hanohano Award Winner! and gonna be Married! whoa...
(emphasis mine) What kine workshops you hosting, brah?
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  11:19:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is Keoki one major kine salesman or wot? I'd buy anything from this guy.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  8:51:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been to Keoki's classes and workshops and they are an experience not to be missed. Always A#1, above and beyond expectations. I'm still learning from my past workshops...they are very special memories. Mahalo Keoki, I appreciate your work and highly recommend both the Maui and Big Island workshops.

Aloha!
Jeri

Nahenahe
Go to Top of Page

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  12:14:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ANYBODY LOOKING FOR SOME OCEAN FRONT PROPERTY ON THE BIG ISLAND? I GET ONE DEAL FOR YOU! BEAUTIFUL SPECIAL BLACK ROCKʻS ASS FAR ASS DA EYE CAN SEE! AND YOUR BACK YARD CONTINUES TO INCREASE DAILY! SPECIAL PRICES FOR CLOSE OUT CAVES AND STEAM VENT SPECIALS. NO CLOSING CHARGES FOR DA VOG! CHECK OUT THESE HOT DEALS WITH VIEWS OF THE LAVA APPROACHING! CALL 1-800-JUS-4-YOU!
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  01:19:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sold! At least my feet won't be cold anymore.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 03/07/2008 01:20:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  08:58:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fast mover!
Hot property!
New lots available every day!
Free Steam Cleaning!
Acid baths optional!
Natural night lighting!

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  9:17:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh My! So much to do and see and play at the Maui workshop! My room was 12 steps from the beach and 27 steps from the ocean. What could beat that? And the Mauian rooms are large and airy with kitchenettes and nice baths, although who needs the kitchen - you don't wanna miss those meals Keoki is talking about. Absolutely delicious food, even more delicious music with your favorite masters as teachers, and a round robin kani ka pila every night, except for the night we go to the slack key concerts.
Not only do students get a true taste (oh oh, bad pun there) of Hawaiian culture, but the classes are terrific. Mornings are quite organized, but the afternoons more relaxed, small groups forming all over the grounds of the hotel foro mroe individual instruction. Did I mention the hula?
I save all year to I can go back and besides, absorbing what I have learned takes all the next year! Hope to see all of you there, me ke aloha no,

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  9:37:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cathe,

You forgot to mention people jumping into the pool fully clothed in the middle of the afternoon!

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  10:52:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage  Reply with Quote
MARCO?! Polo...oh wait..wait...maʻako?!- popolo! afta all dat sun! eh betta get yours spfʻs fortee fives or highyas! more like papaʻa!
Go to Top of Page

garson
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  5:18:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit garson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Keoki,

Connie and I have got our plane and Mauian reservations all ready. Can't wait to get there. Anybody out there who hasn't gone just has to try it

Thing is I want to send George and Nancy a check, but still no reservation form on the website. This is a check with real money in it! This is the best way I have ever spent my money and I want to do it again as soon as I can.

Jim Garson
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  7:06:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,

My address is....Oh, I'll email it to you.

Thanks for the check with real $$.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  1:53:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want a registration form ASAP, email Nancy via their website and she'll email one to you:
http://www.kahumoku.com/workshops.htm

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  1:55:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooops...I hit that "post" button too soon!

Here's the tentative schedule she's emailed:

Saturday, June 14: Location: Mauian Hotel, Napili
Noon: Set up tents at Mauian, load in, volunteers welcome.

Sunday, June 15: Location: Mauian Hotel / Kahumoku Hale at Lei’ali’i, Lahaina)
9am-noon Morning trip to Kahumoku’s house in Hawaiian Homelands in Lahaina
12:30-1:30 lunch
Leisurely afternoon in Napili; Registration at room 118
6-7pm WELCOME DINNER George, Keoki, Norton, Jeff, Daniel
7-10pm Kanikapila, (Group jam under the tent)

Monday, June 16: Location: Mauian Hotel
8:30-12:15 classes: George, Keoki, Norton, Jeff, Daniel
1:30-5:30 classes: lei making, hula, lauhala weaving, singing, and some instruments
6-7pm DINNER
7-10pm Kanikapila

Tuesday, June 17: Location: Mauian Hotel
8:30-12:15 classes: George, Keoki, Norton, Jeff, and Daniel
1:30-5:30 classes: lei making, hula, lauhala weaving, singing, and some instruments
6-7pm DINNER
7-10pm Kanikapila

Wednesday, June 18: Location: Mauian Hotel & Napili Kai Resort
8:30-12:15 classes: George, Keoki, and Norton
1:30-4 FREE TIME
Dinner on your own
7:30-10 Masters Concert at Napili Kai Beach Resort, (located next door to the Mauian) featuring George Kahumoku, Keoki Kahumoku, Dennis Kamakahi, Herb Ohta Jr, Norton Buffalo

Thursday, June 19: Location: Mauian Hotel
8:30-12:15 classes: George, Keoki, Norton, Dennis, Herb, and Ozzie
6-7pm DINNER
7-10pm Kanikapila

Friday, June 20: Location: Mauian Hotel
6-7pm DINNER
7-10pm Kanikapila

Saturday, June 21: Location: Mauian Hotel
6-7am PREP LAULAUS FOR DINNER-ALL INVITED TO JOIN!
1:30-3:00 classes: lei making, hula, and some instruments
3-4pm Whole Group Rehearsal for Sunday (Uke, Guitar, Dancers) George, Keoki, Herb, Norton
6-7pm DINNER
7-10pm FINAL Kanikapila

Sunday, June 22: Location: Mauian Hotel & Maui Arts & Culture Center
8:30 Group picture by the pool, informal group song practice (wear your Workshop T-shirt)
9:30-11:00 Rehearsal by the pool
11:30 Lunch
12:30-1:30 Carpool to Maui Arts & Culture Center (MACC), Kahului
2-7pm Annual Maui Slack Key Festival at the MACC
(Kahumoku performance time 2:00; students will come on stage for 2 songs)
Afternoon & dinner on your own
Most students check out and depart after the MACC show on Sunday and Monday

Monday, June 23: Location: Mauian Hotel:
The Day After
8-10am evaluation session near Mauian Ohana room (optional attendance, everyone is welcome)
10-noon - Dismantle tents and break down (of equipment!!). Volunteers welcome.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  8:08:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
E Julie:
Jump inna pool wit' all clothes on? Why, yes. . . . and the swimming pool hula was pretty fine also. Let's make it an annual event, since you nevah let me fo'get it, yah?
Looking forward to seeing all our friends in June - E Keoki, I be parked in front of your room, and nevah know 'bout da smoke pig? Hunh. Be mo' diff'rent dis yeah!
Mahalo kakou. . . .

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  08:12:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, I neva know Norton Buffalo was coming!?! cool!!! I is gonna bus out my harps too!!! Aunty Cathe- wasamada you? I told you when you smell ʻum? you gotta come get ʻum. Right on! for all of you booking early...thatʻs a safe thing to do...no worries, if gotta ?you can sleep on my lanai with my cousin Lopaka.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000