Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Slack Key Workshops in Ka`u Hawai`i
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cyril
Lokahi

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  3:57:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit cyril's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1st Annual, Slack Key Guitar with Cyril Pahinui at the Beautiful Kalaekilohana
In Ka`u, Hawai`i Participation is limited so please register early.

5 sessions July 27, 28, and 29, 2008 $45 a session

Learn to play the sweet and soulful guitar sounds of Hawai'i. Cyril Pahinui, a traditional master of Kiho'alu or slack key guitar, provides the perfect instruction to this rich tradition. Students of all levels will be guided through simple exercises and solos to create the "slack key" sound.

Slack key can be played on any guitar, acoustic or electric. The term refers to both the musical style and the myriad ways the instrument is tuned. Cyril teaches several traditional tunings and focuses on those that originated in his family. In addition, you'll learn the use of vibrato, harmonics, slurs, harmonies in thirds and sixths, legato playing and other musical ideas that have helped create a distinctive guitar sound. This lush finger-picking style will add new sounds and flavors to your entire repertoire.

Students must bring their own guitar.

Evening Dinner Performance and Talk Story or come to Kanikapila
Friday Evening July 27, 2008 6:00pm

Musicians and non-musicians alike will gain a deeper understanding of Hawaiian music and Hawaiian slack key guitar (ki ho'alu), as Cyril Pahinui shares his knowledge of one of the great acoustic guitar traditions in the world. A brief history introduces the student to Hawaiian music styling and slack key's specific context. Featured songs are selections traditionally performed by the Pahinui family. These Hawaiian songs and slack key guitar pieces reflect themes like stories of the past and present and people's lives. Historic and place context, insights on the composer and theme are also explored.

TO REGISTER: Contact me directly at: cyrilpahinui.com
OR

94-2152 South Point Road
PO BOX 1125 Na`alehu, Hawai`i 96772

Cyril Pahinui
cyril.cyrilpahinui.com
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000