Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Uncle George's Workshop June 15 - 23
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

justinalderfer
Aloha

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  12:08:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha oukou, looking forward to meeting some of the TaroPatch ohana next month. This is my first workshop with Uncle George as well as my first trip to Hawaii. Anyone else making the trip to Maui despite increase in airfare?

Justin

ka loku mele kaona

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  7:38:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Justin,

My family will be there, and we are so looking forward to getting out of town and generally busting loose! I'm glad I'll get to meet you, and I hope you will find our ohana kind and welcoming. Please don't be intimidated if you see a lot of closeknit relationships, at one time we were all strangers! Come and join whatever is going on, and when we meet at the seawall for cocktail hour, don't be shy... The best way to become part of the family is to jump in with both feet, with a good attitude!

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2008 :  3:11:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Absolutely!... I would not miss it!!

(Of course if it cost, say $3000 round-trip for airfare I would have to sit and think for a spell)

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2008 :  8:31:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Justin:

So glad you'll be coming to Uncle Gerge's. I'll also be there, look forward to meeting you on the sea wall, or on the day we all do pool hula in our day clothes.(ask Julie) <BEG>

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2008 :  9:19:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK!

Let's get this straight! This tradition was started by Miss Cathe, who got a little hot and tired one afternoon while manning (or womanning) her sales table with beautiful glass platters, bowls and fine jewelry. Next thing I know, I looked up, open-mouthed, and watched as Miss Cathe ran toward the pool, hiked up her dress and plunged in.

Well, noone likes to decline an invitation like that, so pretty soon there were several fully-clothed adults in that wonderful pool, and we started doing a "pool hula". Luckily there were no impressionable children or sullen teenagers around. So we proceeded to have a great time jumping in and climbing out and jumping in, cannonball competition style...

Yes, there were several cameras around at that time but I would probably be found in some cane field someday soon if I published those photos!!

This kind of reminds me of the night Led was acting up at kanikapila (same camp) and I laughingly said to Auntie Edna Bekeart: "some people never grow up, do they?" to which she sagely replied :"Honey, we are all children!" Touche, Auntie.

Ah, to be a kid at camp again

Julie
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  05:56:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Ah, Miss Julie!

Such a way with words.......last one in the pool is. . . . . . still dry.
Ou hui hou e malama pono

cathe
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  06:52:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha, Justin!

Sheila and I will be there. It's a wonderful experience.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  1:27:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be there & I look forward to meeing Justin and renewing friendships...I wouldn't miss it!
Aloha,
Jeri

Nahenahe
Go to Top of Page

garson
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  3:41:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit garson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Connie and I will be there tho' we were scared for a while when our tickets disappeared with the bankruptcy of ATA! Welcome Justin you are in for a treat. Hello Julie Cathe Dusty Sheila Lawrence and all the other regulars. We are coming home.

Jim Garson
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2008 :  06:05:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Aloha E Jim!

So glad you and Connie will be there . . . . . eh bra, we are all coming home, yah?

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2008 :  10:14:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Justin and all,
I am sorely disappointed to be missing camp this year, but alas, something even better has been promised; a grandson is due June 15th!!! This will be my first, and possibly my only grandchild so in the spirit of true 'ohana, I remain at home to be tutu wahine! I am truly hoping he comes soon so that his one-year birthday will not fall during camp next year. He won't be old enough by then to pry away from his folks, but maybe in a few more years he will come with ukulele in hand.
Please take lots of pix and share!! I'm hoping at least Linda, Scott and Julie will all share when they come home.
Aloha no,
auntie nancy
PS:
Justin, 3 yrs ago I was a new kid on the block traveling by myself, and I actually had tears in my eyes Sunday night at the first kanikapila because I felt so welcome and part of a warm and loving 'ohana.

Edited by - Pua Kai on 05/24/2008 10:16:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

justinalderfer
Aloha

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2008 :  5:25:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone thanks for replying to the post. I feel welcomed already. I'm not so anxious to learn slack key technique, moreover, I want to experience the Aloha first hand. I do look forward to meeting/jammin' with everyone.

Aloha,

Justin

ka loku mele kaona
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  08:35:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a great workshop. Jeff's and Ozzie's classes were awesome. I especially enjoyed Jeff's slack key master's session and Ozzie's Ray Kane session.

It's sad that Dennis was sick and was unable to attend the workshop. However, Kevin Brown did a wonderful job covering Dennis' classes.

A few friends were missing and a few new ones attended. I enjoyed meeting Justin (a great player) and Kaleo from Japan (also, a great player).

Daniel Ho was there the first part of the week teaching `ukulele along with Keoki. Herb Ohta Jr. and Keoki covered the second half of the week. Sheila enjoyed all of their `uke classes.

The culmination, as usual was the slack key festival (youtube links to our performance have been posted elsewhere).

Oh yeah, Led was in the house:

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2008 :  1:37:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great picture Dusty! I had to leave early so missed a lot. Hope more people post about their experience + pictures.
Aloha!

Nahenahe
Go to Top of Page

les_maverick
Lokahi

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  08:22:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit les_maverick's Homepage  Send les_maverick an AOL message  Send les_maverick a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Justin:
How did you like the workshop ?
I am trying to make arrangements to go to next year's workshop.
Mahalo,
Les
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000