Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 George's camp 2009
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  05:07:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
To dispel any rumors that Uncle George is phasing out his camp, Auntie Nancy K. sent this... "from the horse's wife's mouth!"

George Kahumoku Jr's 2009 Slack Key Guitar and Ukulele Workshop will be June 21-28, 2009. Staff is still tentative but we are expecting Keoki (of course), Ozzie Kotani, Bob Brozman, Norton Buffalo (tremendously popular this year), Jeff Peterson pending, Kevin Brown, Daniel Ho pending, Herb Ohta Jr pending, Keoni Manuel & Paki Allen will be back with hula, and more. We take names all year, but don't actually accept money until early 2009. Hotel reservations (paid separately) should be booked as soon as possible at the Mauian or Napili Village unless you stay elsewhere and aren't worried about it. One day Keoki Kahumoku will inherit Goerge's June workshop, but not just yet. Incidently Keoki has another great one coming up later this year on the Big Island.

Andy

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  09:07:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i only attended the opening kanikapila, and even in that short time i was blown away by norton.

for those of you able to attend both camps, it looks like yet again, the two camps - george's and keola's - will be on adjacent weeks.

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  09:21:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
and even in that short time i was blown away by norton.
Pun intended? (some blowing IS required after all! )

P.S. I got Norton to accompany Richard and I on a "rousing?" version of Steve Goodman's "You Never Even Call Me by my Name" during a Lunch Time open mic session on Thursday. A non-Hawaiian tune of course, but apropos, given the tendency of Workshop attendees to mix-up each others names. Norton did an outstanding job (of course), and was very gracious to accompany us during his (also) lunch break.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  2:57:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy, thanks for the great news on the workshop and I'm glad it will still be at The Mauian. You should see the renovated rooms--very nice.

I think there's a Maui fire code that says you can't have Bob Brozman and Norton Buffalo playing at the same event because of the smoke and heat danger. Don't even think about having Led join in. Otherwise you'll have a real melt down!

Seriously though, Bob and Norton are excellent, hands on teachers with a wealth of knowledge and stories. They add a wonderful dimension to the workshop, not to mention the kanikapilas. My favorite description of Bob's classes are, "it's like drinking out of a fire hose."

Aloha,

Doug
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  8:40:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here Here, I agree wholeheartedly with PearlCityBoy. I was thinking the same thing about the possibilities of Norton/Brozman! Hadn't even considered Ledward in the mix==YIkes!

HARP Players: For those in Norton's class: I thought I was bending well--then popped my tuner on my harp. This brought me to reality?
Check it out and let me know what you think after doing this. It helped me to see the actual note I was playing.

Aloha,
J.

Nahenahe
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  07:35:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
I think there's a Maui fire code that says you can't have Bob Brozman and Norton Buffalo playing at the same event because of the smoke and heat danger. Don't even think about having Led join in. Otherwise you'll have a real melt down!
Speaking of fires... the town of Paradise California, where Norton Buffalo lives, has been ordered to evacuate AGAIN this morning because of approaching fires.

They were ordered to evacuate just a few weeks ago because of another fire.

40 Homes in nearby Concow have already burned.

I am hoping for good luck for Norton and family on this situation.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gwSSrT7-LciDlr1tYmyE9e19oX9QD91QCUPO0

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 07/09/2008 07:48:55 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000