Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Ono grinds
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  12:51:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I'm starting a separate food thread since you guys keep talking about stuff that's making me hungry. Check this link.

O`ahu

I like Rainbow Drive In's bbq beef sandwich deluxe and slush float. Oh and the shoyu chicken plate (special) is ono.

Also like Jurison's Inn in Waikele. Seems a little pricy but I like the ahi katsu plate.

To keep this slack key related... when I saw George Kuo at the Marriot Beach Hotel the conversation turned to food too. He likes Ray's cafe, but I didn't have time to try it. He says the butterfish (special) is good.

Ok, it's lunch time.

Andy

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  1:14:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
man, i used to live 1 block from rainbows (kanaina av, across the street from the guy that used to have the 6 foot plastic ear of corn decorations in his front yard-what was that about?),loved that place, bbq beef plate, slush float, mahi sandwich,chili rice,met a nice local japanee girl that worked there, those were the days...

Lee

Edited by - kihoalukid on 03/06/2003 1:27:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  2:02:34 PM  Show Profile
Okay dammit,

I'm sitting at work stuck with 2 (count em) two bananas, and some friggin yogurt, while reading this.

I'm so depressed, and hungry now.

a dallop of slippery ointment on the cog of the wheel of the great machine...am I

Cmdr

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  9:41:10 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Hey, anybody know if that bakery's still there in Kilauea, on Kauai ??
Was in a big corrugated tin building.
They make/made the best coconut pastries, but you had to get up real early to get'em. Oh, the memories! You could smell them baking a block away!

Hey Andy, I think this topic gon "eat-up" all your bandwidth!

Ross

Edited by - rossasaurus on 03/06/2003 9:42:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  10:26:29 PM  Show Profile
Damn, my keyboard's getting all slobbered up with drool.
Hey, where can I get those 6' ears of corn -- just right for my front yard -- last time I ki ho'alu'd in the back yard my neighbor got his hound dog all worked up and the beast howl'd along. 6 foot corn is just the "curb appeal" I need for when a realtor is trying to show his house.
RJS (Note how I didn't use my full name on this one.
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2003 :  04:11:15 AM  Show Profile
Aaaargh! Laulau at Azeka Place in the 70's. Get da plate, a nice cold beer, sit on da beach and watch da whales jump. Back in those days da paved road ended long before Makena, all wilderness and very few people! Gabby on da "coconut wireless"....
Sigh, Julie
Go to Top of Page

etakushi
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2003 :  08:22:56 AM  Show Profile
Mmmmm...chili plate from Rainbows... :)

Just FYI, L&L has opened a shop in CT. (http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2003/Feb/06/bz/bz02a.html) Hopefully, it'll come down to the NY/NJ and DC areas soon, eh Andy? :)

Also, go to http://www.hawaiianbarbecue.com/locations.htm for a full list.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2003 :  09:36:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
What? L&L in CT? Thanks for the info etakushi! If not coming to MD and NY/NJ, I'll just have to go there. I still won't believe it until I eat it!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2003 :  5:27:27 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Nope. It's gone

However Hamura's in Lihue has the best saimin special. Oki Diner, also in Lihue has good saimin too - they have a garlic saimin

Then there is Bannana Joe's near Kilauea for smoothies!!!

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2003 :  5:46:01 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Oh man, Banana Joe's; take me back, take me back....

Andy, you've unleashed a beast in this topic! I gotta log-off and go eat someting now!

Edited by - rossasaurus on 03/07/2003 5:47:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2003 :  6:52:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Looks like L&L is coming to San Diego too...their Web site lists El Cajon as "coming soon". Hopefully I'll make it out to Hawaii to see what the fuss is about before then.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Popoki
Akahai

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2003 :  8:10:41 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Kilauea Bakery & Wholesale 567 Puuopae Rd Kapaa, HI (808) 246-6880

Kilauea Bakery Pau Hana Pizza Kilauea Lighthouse Rd Kilauea, HI (808) 828-2020

Is this the same one you were asking about Ross? They are the ones that have the killer ono bread sticks. If so, they are still there. A friend of mine got me some bread sticks just the other day from there - special delivery to Maui.
Aloha, Kitty

Edited by - Popoki on 03/07/2003 8:14:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2003 :  05:15:56 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Aloha Kitty, this place was on a side street, not the lighthouse road, but maybe Iniki "moved" 'em to a new home; I can't imagine that old building survived. Or maybe they moved to kapaa? Oh well, guess I'll have to come over and do some dietary research!

Ross
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2003 :  10:02:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Speaking of breadsticks, if you're in the San Diego area make sure you check out Pat & Oscar's...not Hawaiian but famous for their breadsticks (in fact, their Web site is www.breadsticks.com). Great pizza too.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2003 :  11:42:38 AM  Show Profile
The building in Kilauea survived Iniki or at least was rebuilt. There was a bakery there 2 years ago but it closed and the entire building became a Mexican restaurant - though not a very authentic/good one. I didn't check in January to see if it was still there.

The restaurant in Kilauea where Ken Emmerson performed was about to close down. I think it was called "The Lighthouse Cafe" or something like that. It was adjacent to the Kong Lung store. The pizza place mentioned by Popoki is in the back of Kong Lung near the soap factory. The bakery is down in Kapaa.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2003 :  4:11:15 PM  Show Profile
Kaua`i Grinds -- a report "from the source"

Kilauea Bakery & Pau Hana Pizza in Kong Lung Center (on Lighthouse Road). Still open; still serving awesome pastries and pizza. Their breadsticks are now available at all Big Save and Foodland stores on the island, for those who don't wanna make the drive up here.

Lighthouse Bistro (same Center). For sale (seems like nearly every restaurant on the island is right now! ), but still open for B-L-D, with a new pasta bar, too. Kenny Emerson no longer plays there, however.

Hamura Saimin (Kress Street, Lihu`e -- kinda behind the bowling alley). Still serving the _best_ saimin in the state ("special" is noodles, pork, fish cake, plump won ton, veggies...to _die_ for!), plus BBQ sticks and their world-famous fresh lilikoi (passion fruit) chiffon pie. Drooooooooool. I think we're having late lunch there today!

Oki Diner (on the highway in Lihu`e; next to McDonald's) is open 6a.m. to 3a.m. (hey, I didn't make the schedule! ). Great "plates" and cheap, filling breakfasts.

Speaking of filling breakfasts, Hanalei WakeUp Cafe (on the highway in beautiful downtown Hanalei) does "do it yourself" omelettes for about $8 that will keep you full _past_ lunch time. Try this -- bacon, cheese, sour cream. Yummmmmmmmmmm! 6:30a.m. to 11:30a.m. Mon-Sat.

L&L Drive-Inn (on the highway; Kapa`a; near the fire station) -- more Chinese, than Hawaiian, but h-u-g-e portions, and good prices.

Pono Market in "north Kapa`a" -- fresh poke, sushi, and plate lunch (get their before 1PM, or it may all be gone). Open Mon-Sat 7a.m. to 7p.m. or so.

Fish Express (on the highway in Lihu`e; across from WalMart) -- wide variety of fresh poke, plate lunch, etc. Open daily.

Okay...who started talking 'bout food again?????

-- auntie maria

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000