Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 2009 Winter Aloha Camp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  08:36:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Forgive me for not remembering Uncleʻs name (he was the Resortʻs bar entertainment guitar player and somebody who does please help me), I just wanted to express my mahalo to Uncle for playing with us, encouraging us to continue and be pono, and talking story.

That was Brada Matt Manewa. I am so happy you got to meet him and share in his aloha. As I said, he's the reason behind the whole thing. Brada Matt showed Annie and me what aloha meant on that first trip to Kona so many years ago. Sweet guitar player, too.

quote:
although I missed the "bottom" when Larry did his hula with Auntie Julie

From where you were sitting I'd think you had a good view.

BTW: Annie and I got in very late last nite. I'll write more in a few days once my brain catches up to west coast time.

Big mahalos to everyone.
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Lokahi

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  09:15:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally have pictures posted in a couple of albums; one for general Big Island shots and one for AMC shots. I plan to also send these links to everyone in Jean's contact book when that comes out (for campers who are not TPers):

Camp photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/snappinpix/MusicCamp?authkey=yc4_QiXusuY

Big Island: http://picasaweb.google.com/snappinpix/BigIslandScenery2009?authkey=8BEi7eyfqhs

Mālama pono
Ben
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  10:34:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ben - some mighty spectacular pictures. Wow. I love the moon setting pics. And your flower macro pics are a sight to be seen. Thanks for letting us peek.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Star
Aloha

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  2:47:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful photos of camp! Thank you!
Margaret & Tom
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  09:46:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ben, your photos are fantastic. Thank you very much for sharing. My wife and I took plenty of snap-shots, but we lack your obvious gift for composition.

It was really fun getting to know you a little better and playing together.

Aloha

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2009 :  2:14:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've posted pix from the February camp on the AMC website:
www.alohamusiccamp.com

Mahalos to Ben, Hiro & Annie for the photos-- this boy was too busy to take many this time around. Judging from all of the smiles, looks like it was a pretty good camp.

I have also posted a brief update about the camp's status. The bottom line? We are working on a way to keep going, but it will be a long hard road.

Imua!

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2009 :  10:46:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I am sorting through my many camp photos on this late rainy, wintry night, I am reminded of just how special Aloha Music Camp was. This one was spectacularly so. All the previous camps had their own gifts, and the future will bring others. But this one will stay in my heart for a long time.

Not only were all of our instructors fantastic, the campers themselves were full of aloha and cheer. Yes, we did miss our dear Auntie Nona, and we talked about her freely, without hesitation. That did not make camp sad for us, as some had feared it might. On the contrary, her spirit was never far from us, and our thoughts were never far from her. We were accompanied by her aloha, day and night, at mealtimes, in classes and during late night kani ka pilas.

My heartfelt thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make this camp one we will never forget. In fact, I was feeling a little homesick and thinking about returning to Keahou for a trip, but realized that it would not be the same without all my friends. They are what made Keahou special.

To my newfound friends, and all my old campmates, I am hoping to see you soon again, maybe at another camp or workshop, or maybe at some concert some evening. I will think of you when I view my photos and remember some quirky little thing you did or some wonderful song you sang by the oceanside.

If any of you would like a copy of my photo CD, as I know most of you were too busy studying or performing, feel free to email me via this website or the contact list. I'll be glad to share my memories with you.

Aloha dear friends, from cold, rainy (finally, thank God) California,

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2009 :  09:01:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Living here in Kona, I drive by Keauhou Resort, occasionally. I get this funny feeling in my heart and say a quick prayer that Mark and Keola will be able to get the details worked out without obstacles. I miss you all! I was able to meet many of you, but I feel like I didn't spend as much time as I could have with the slack key players. It wasn't until the end of the week that I got to see what an amazing group of musicians you all are.
Thanks again to all the 'ukulele players that helped out my steel guitar class. Raiatea and I were so happy that we could join our groups together. The whole was definitely more than the sum of the parts!
Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2009 :  09:35:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Julie and Konabob, thanks for you posts. This camp was very special. Somehow, unexpectedly so for me. I loved Kaupoa, and though I fully expected to have a wonderful time at Keauhou, the experience transcended my hopes. What a fantastic time. What a wonderful bunch of people.

And to both of you, I was thinking just yesterday how the only part I could possibly regret (and to be sure, I don't feel any real regrets) is that there were entire groups of campers that I barely got to say hello to. I saw Julie in action, pretty much hosting, provide sustenance, spirit(s), and the pulse (her husband's bass) for the kanis. And Konabob was such a presence at this camp; such a talented musician with such a heart full of aloha. I wish I had gotten to know you better. I was one of those slack key players... It was funny to me (this was the first camp without my children, and I thought I'd be down playing and singing late into the nights), that the couple of times I did happen upon and lurk in the background of the nightly kani ka pila, (always without my guitar...) I didn't see many of my fellow slackers there. I don't think we are really a reclusive bunch. By the time I got down there though I felt tired and like my brain was full from the "wood-shedding." Next time I'll try to bring the uke down.

A hui hou

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page

Cynthia
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  1:59:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It took me nearly a month, but I've finally posted some photos from last month's wonderful camp. You can view them at: http://web.me.com/cchull1

Aloha,

Cynthia in NoVa
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  2:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Beautiful pics!

Lee
Go to Top of Page

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2009 :  08:14:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cynthia, those are great pix. You do lovely portraits. Envy you the Hana Hou pie .. they bake the best goodies. Where was the trolley?

Me ke aloha,
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

Cynthia
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2009 :  07:54:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PuaLynn
Where was the trolley?

Thanks for the kind words, Lynn. The trolley was the one that ran from Keauhou to Kailua-Kona Town.
Cynthia

Cynthia in NoVa
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000