Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Post Aloha Camp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  02:17:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right then – this indirectly related to camp.

My Alison and I have decided that rather than disappear immediately after the camp, we’re going to spend an additional couple of days in Hawaii. Well, if we’re going halfway round the world, we might as well take a look around, if we can. The pound has recently collapsed against the dollar, and it’s highly likely that this will be our last chance to do anything like this.

We’ve got nothing booked, but I don’t think that finding a reasonably priced hotel will be a problem, given the time of year, the fact that it will be Sunday and Monday, and given the fact that tourist numbers are down because of the recession.

Now I’m an open minded sort of man, and am interested in lots of things. I like playing music with other people best of all, (and will have, I hope, leaned a bit more about Hawaiian music during the week!) but we’re also interested in all sorts of other things. I’ve travelled to many countries before, and my life has been enriched each time I have done so.

Now I know that early in the week is not usually good for gigs, events and so on, but that’s what we’ve got, so I’d like to ask the knowledgeable people who post here if they’d be so kind as to furnish me with an idea or two.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the sort of thing we might do with our additional couple of days?

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  05:55:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trev,

You are on the Big Island, right? In North Kona? How about a tour of all the places mentioned in Slack Key lyrics? Not hard to do. Get a good map of the Island if you don't already have it. Make sure you drive to Waipi`o and walk down into it and see Hi`ilawe. On the way, you drive through Waimea and the Parker Ranch and by Mauna Kea. Continue on down the lovely Hamakua coast, stopping at places whose names you recollect from songs, like Akaka Falls. Stop off in Hilo. Look around. Drive up to Mauna Loa and Kilauea. Walk through Kilauea Iki. Go to Puna, take the Red Road and explore. You get the idea,right? There are really only a few roads to take and there are a lot of associations in music. The BI is only about as big as the tiny state of CT, which can be circumnavigated in a few hours. But prolong that by stopping off and getting a feel for what the songs say about the land. You will also find lots of nice places to stay overnight. Might get an even better feel for what the music means.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  06:57:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Trev, talk to me at camp. Shirley and I have lived on the Big Island since 1995, and we run the oldest web site about the Big Island ( http://www.konaweb.com ). We know a lot of interesting places and may be able to direct you the things that would interest you. Since you will be on the Kona side for a week, you may want to take a few days to explore the Volcanos National Park... It is very unique, and the town of Hilo is very different from Kona. Of course if you are around on Wednesday evening, there is an amazing kanikapila at the Keauhou Shopping Center from 6 till 8.
Reid's idea is a good one... Akaka Falls is some kind of magic, but I would allow a good 8 to 10 hours if you plan to circle the island and see the major sites. Maybe spend one night at the Kamuela Inn in Waimea and explore then North End of the island (don't miss the Waipio Overlook or Pololu if you can help it), then spend one night in Volcano, and explore the Volcano.

Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  08:25:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Trev-

I second the motion to visit the volcano-- Annie and I are spending a couple nights there after camp, as are a number of other people. The Volcano house doesn't quite meet the "affordable" criteria, but it is a unique and unforgettable experience. There are other housing options in the area.

Walking out on brand spanking new land is one of the most awesome experiences one can have in this life.

Hilo is a wonderful place, and well worth some time. Plus you'll feel right at home in the rain.

One more suggestion: There are lots of inexpensive local style hotels: Here are three I know from personal experience: The Manago in Captain Cook (in spite of what everybody tells you, pass on the pork chops), the Shirakawa in Naalehu (be sure to spend some time at South Point...) and Uncle Billy's in Hilo.

See you soon. Is Alison bringing the zaphoon?
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  08:32:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allow me to second Konabob's recommendation for Volcanoes National Park. It is indeed an incredible place not to be missed if you have an interest in natural history.

Halema'uma'u crater is still cookin'. Although not as productive as last summer, it still appears to be an amazing spectacle. Here's a link to one of my favorite websites:

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/images.html

Have a great time at camp.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  12:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Allow me to third or fourth the Volcanoes Park recommendation. Maria and I will be headed there after camp too. Flying home Monday night. Sounds like some other campers as well. A little slack key in the lodge could be a lot of fun.

On the other hand, all of those other sites mentioned by Reid and Konabob are amazing too. We spent a couple of weeks on the island a few years ago. Too much to take in even in that amount of time, but you can still see and soak in a lot in a few days.

See you at camp.

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  12:49:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We went to some beautiful gardens Hilo side called Nani Mau. Absolutely gorgeous. First time I ever saw poinsettias that looked like small trees. First mongoose I ever sas, too.

We went to Rainbow Falls on Hilo side, too.

We also went Parker Ranch on a tour and were terribly disappointed. I thought we would see horses and cows and such. What we saw was a Parker Ranch tiny little museum (which was very good) and the Parker Ranch gift shop (not so swell). And we went to a hoome at Parker Ranch that told us how swell and wonderful the Parkers were. Ahem.

One word of advice: talk to the locals. The taxi drivers, the shuttle drivers, the aunties who take your money at the gate of a scenic attraction. Talk story. They all have something to tell. And tell them how much you love the music. They are so proud of the music. Ha-ha...on O`ahu, it is amazing how many of the bus drivers and trolley grivers and such are relatives of Gabby Pahinui. So many told us. you know Gabby Pahinui, he's my unko. fo realz.

I would want to go to Honaunau. We went past but our tour did not go there.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  3:19:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just read the small print on my car rental agreement yesterday, which specifically stated that I could drive over the saddle road (last time I could not), so I'm a happy (music) camper. It did state that one could not drive off of the paved road, say for example up to the observatories, however.

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page

Mark Alan
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  6:06:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark Alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Konabob wrote: "Of course if you are around on Wednesday evening, there is an amazing kanikapila at the Keauhou Shopping Center from 6 till 8."

Is this every Wednesday? I'm flying in early, and that would make a good first night in Kona.

Edited by - Mark Alan on 01/30/2009 6:07:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  8:46:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yep, every Wednesday night. Bring your 'ukulele, or guitar... we love to have visitors join us, Mark.
Keauhou Shopping Center is less than a half mile or so from the hotel where Camp is being held.

Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  9:55:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh shoot,

Now I wish I had stuck to my earlier plans to spend an extra couple of days on the Big Island. But then I thought, it would be lonely when everyone leaves and so we might as well too. I remember staying a couple of extra days after George Kahumoku's camp, but then having all these strange people invade our territory, that was not fun. Grrrr.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Lokahi

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2009 :  03:29:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All great ideas for places to see. Pu'uhonau o Honaunau, the Place of Refuge, is just down the road a bit from Keauhou and would absolutely be worth a visit. I wish I knew the right words. It's like you can sense those who were able to make it through the arduous, dangerous journey to the temple for a chance at having their death sentence forgiven.

Mālama pono
Ben
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2009 :  05:03:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reid's idea about places spoken of in mele pana is an excellent idea. We did that one our past two trips to Hawai`i. You know that these places have some power to them for someone to write a song honoring them.

I would want to see Kawaihae, He`eia; Hi`ilawe; Kalapana; Kealakekua; and most of all Miloli`i.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  12:38:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much everyone. This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for! So many excellent suggestions.

We're flying away at about half past ten on Tuesday night so will miss the Wednesday kanikapila. This is terrible! If I'd known I would have booked different flights! Ah well.

What I will do is talk to people at the camp, especially Mark and Konabob, and make our plans when we get there.

Thanks again everyone. I'm looking forward to it soooo much I can hardly think of anything else at the moment. This time next week I''ll be, well probably in the sky somewhere, but certainly on the way!
Go to Top of Page

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  3:34:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those staying in Volcano, I highly recommend the Kilauea Lodge. It's not cheap, but most likely you will have a fireplace (welcome at that elevation) and a fabulous breakfast.

And don't forget Hilo. The Saturday and Weds farmer's market is great. Hilo is still local old Hawaii .. not too many tourists, very laid back .. best airport in the world to fly in and out of. Lots of aloha. Lots of local grinds. For those whose plans it fits, the Makaha sons will be performing at the old wonderful Hilo Palace Theater on Saturday night after camp ends, 7pm.

Also, if you are staying near Hilo then do the night walk to view Pele at where the Kalapana Rd ends. It's amazing to watch the lava flowing into the sea. They have quite a setup there .. you walk about half mile on lava, but it's well marked and there are lights strung up at the parking area and LATTEs before you set out on the path. Support the Hilo economy !! We need it.

Me ke aloha,
Lynn

Edited by - PuaLynn on 02/05/2009 3:35:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2009 :  1:37:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PuaLynn

For those staying in Volcano, I highly recommend the Kilauea Lodge. It's not cheap, but most likely you will have a fireplace (welcome at that elevation) and a fabulous breakfast.

And don't forget Hilo. The Saturday and Weds farmer's market is great. Hilo is still local old Hawaii .. not too many tourists, very laid back .. best airport in the world to fly in and out of. Lots of aloha. Lots of local grinds. For those whose plans it fits, the Makaha sons will be performing at the old wonderful Hilo Palace Theater on Saturday night after camp ends, 7pm.

Also, if you are staying near Hilo then do the night walk to view Pele at where the Kalapana Rd ends. It's amazing to watch the lava flowing into the sea. They have quite a setup there .. you walk about half mile on lava, but it's well marked and there are lights strung up at the parking area and LATTEs before you set out on the path. Support the Hilo economy !! We need it.

ALoha Lynn!

Mahalo for the support of Hilo! And, indeed, those staying in Hilo would find it easy to drive out to Puna to see the lava flow.

Also, those who want to visit the Hilo Farmer's Market on a Wednesday morning might want to remember that Hawai`iana Live!, a home-style Hawaiian variety show plays at 11:00 am each Wednesday. We are just a couple of blocks from the market.

We do 50 different shows each year, and are now in our third year. We are only dark on Christmas and New Year weeks.

Or guests have included Keoki Kahumoku, Aunty Mary Ann Lim, Aunty Diana Aki, and many others. This March features Uncle Moses Kahumoku, Stan Kaina, my own hunny - Manu Josiah, and Leina`ala Lassiter.

At only $5, and keiki free, it's a great deal!

Malama pono,
Leilehua
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000