Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 He Huaka'i 1st Annual Kohala Workshop
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cyril
Lokahi

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  10:44:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit cyril's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Announcing
He Huaka‘i E Pana Na I Ke E‘a Ka Piko Kiho'alu~Kohala!

June 9-14, 2010

Kohala, Island of Hawai‘i
with
Directors Cyril Pahinui and Lani Eugenio

Cyril Pahinui • Slack Key Guitar
John Keawe • Slack Key Guitar
Leabert Lindsey • Slack Key Guitar & Falsetto / Yodeling
Donald Kaulia • Slack Key Guitar
Dennis Kamakahi • Slack Key Guitar
Kulali Covingtion• Hula
Janie Wong • Singing
Udell Colleado • Singing
Kunia Galdeira • `Ukulele
Fred Patrola • Story Telling and History
Na Kupuna o Kohala • Story Telling and History
And Much More!

Featured Mele include:

Maika'i Kamakani O Kohala;
Niuli'i Waltz by Sarah Pule
Lovely is Kohala by Edwin Lindsey
Kohala I Love You by John Keawe
Aloha E Kohala by Robert Cazimero

Cost for the workshop is $50 per session includes one meal
Under 25 attend free
Two sessions each day
Accommodations $50-90 per day

For information email:
cyril @ cyrilpahinui.com

On June 9-14, 2009, the Na‘alehu Theatre will present the 2st annual 5-day workshop as part of the Kohala Kamehameha Days Celebration and the Ho‘ike A‘o Kanikapila for this session will be incorporated into the annual Kamehameha Days festival concert series.

Kohala is the home of Hawai‘i’s renowned King Kamehameha who brought the first Spanish cowboys there to assist with managing the wild cattle. It was these cowboys and in this place that the first guitar was brought and left with the Hawaiian people who soon made it an integral part of their music prowess resulting in what is known today as Kiho‘alu or slack key guitar music.

This annual workshop will bring today’s kiho‘alu masters and their students on an annual retreat to the birthplace of their unique music style. Individual sessions will be held on site at various Mele wai pana featured in the songs selected. Community practitioners, musicians, and historians will provide context for the workshop while instructors teach their individual styles. Local youth from kohala will attend at no cost and an in-school performance and class will be provided at the local schools. Master Instructors will join in to perform at the annual Kamehameha Days parade and concert.

Samuel Parker married Chiefess Kipikane in 1816, the granddaughter of Kamehameha. He earned his fortune as a cattle hunter and businessman. Reverend Elias Bond of Kohala performed the Christian wedding of John Palmer Parker and Kipikane in the 1840's. That, and the fact that it is recorded that Parker and his wife later moved to Waimea, gives credence to Kohala's oral history of having been the home of the Big Island’s first cowboys. In 1846, during Kauikeaouli's reign (Kamehameha III ), Parker was granted 2 acres of land in Waimea for $10, on which he built his house. Under the Great Mahele Kipikane was granted 640 acres because of her status, and the Parker Ranch officially began in 1847.

Back in the early days, the Hawaiian style of ranching meant capturing wild cattle by driving them into pits dug in the forest floor. Somewhat tamed by hunger and thirst, they were hauled up a ramp, and either tied horn and head to a tree overnight or tied horn-to-horn with a tame, older steer who could lead the wild bovine to the paddock where the food and water were located.

In the 1830's Kamehameha III invited the vaqueros of California (still part of Mexico) to come to Hawai`i to teach the Hawaiian men cowboy skills – riding horses to chase down cattle, roping, and making the tools of the trade. “Paniolo” was originally "Paniola" (pronounced pahn-nyo-la), the Hawaiianized version of “Espanola”, as the Spanish cowboys described themselves. These Spanish vaqueros also taught the Hawaiian cowboys how to relax by singing and playing the guitar

Falsetto singer and National Treasure Kindy Sproat is a descendant of Ramon Baeza, one of the original Spanish vaqueros. Benny Raymond, another descendant of Ramon Baeza, tells the story of his ancestors bringing the first guitar and how one of his great grand uncles, on his way back to Mexico, was killed in a brawl on Maui after wooing the women on his guitar.
[/size=2]

Cyril Pahinui
cyril.cyrilpahinui.com

Edited by - cyril on 06/23/2009 09:37:15 AM

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  01:24:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uncle Cyril: You are to be commended for offering your workshop to those under 25 years old for FREE! They should be beating down your door to take advantage of such an opportunity. We mainland haoles, we pay crazy money for to have the same opportunity. I am so sorry that I never got to meet Kindy Sproat. I can just imagine the stories he could have told.

Thank you and Chelle for teaching and for providing the opportunity for others to learn. It is such an important kuleana.

Your film of last year's trip to Waipi`o on You Tube brought tears to my eyes, and plenty chicken skin, too.

Mahalo nui loa.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

bobby3dog
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  07:18:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Taropatchers,
2 years ago I was lucky enough to able to attend uncle Cyrils first Hawaii island huaka'i. As many of you have seen, it began in the Waipio valley beneath ka wailele Hi'ilawe. It was a dream come true and last years huaka'i was no different even with the last minute changes in shape. 2 years now and I haven't seen anyone from the "mainland" in attendance. This year it looks like looks like Kohala will be the focus and Lani Eugenio,who lives in Hawi, is puting things together localy. Lani is areally good person who has much to share inclunding many stories of her visits with her "Grandpa Sam" Li'a.
Any way what I'm trying to say is; don't miss this wonderful opportunity to advance your slack key under the guidance of a true master. But also know that Cyril's nephew will be teaching ukulele and he is a very interesting player and a very good guy.
Aloha,
Allan

b3d
Go to Top of Page

cyril
Lokahi

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2009 :  12:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit cyril's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha to all...jsut an update on the he Uakai coming up in Kohala. We had to adjust the dates since the Na Hoku Awards was moved to the 9th. We begin the program at the annual Kemehameha Days festival and the workshops last from the 12th to the 14th.

Here is the latest press on the workshop:
Hawaiian music and Slack Key workshop will be held in Kohala on the weekend after Kamehameha Day, on June 12, 13 and 14th. Participants from the outer islands, mainland and Japan will check in on June 10th and take in Kohala's Kamehameha Day celebration, then the workshops begin all day Friday through Sunday morning.

For the past five years, the Na‘alehu Theatre has provided slack-key guitar and ukulele lessons and workshops in different parts of the islands. These lessons and concerts have drawn together a following of aspiring musicians who want to deepen their knowledge of Hawaiian music and other cultural practices.

Inspired by George Na‘ope, and directed by Master slack key artist, Cyril Pahinui, the workshop consists of the chants, mele, music and hula of the region featured. Activities also include a range of cultural learning experiences and site visitations relevant to the particular area, applicable art and craft forms and styles are intertwined with historic context and settings. Kupuna from the area are encouraged to join the group to relate their personal experiences and knowledge.

Kohala will add its own music-history flavor to the workshops. On Wednesday night, Fred Cachola will be the guest speaker. Kohala is the birthplace of Hawai‘i’s renowned King Kamehameha. who, in 1815, gave John Palmer Parker permission to shoot the cattle in Waiapuka, thus making North Kohala the original cowboy town in Hawaii.

Kohala may very well hold the title of having the first cowboys outside of Mexican California and South America. In 1832, vaqueros from Mexican California were commissioned by Kamehameha III to teach the Hawaiians cowboy skills. They also made an impact on Hawaii's paniola clothing, music and heritage. The vaqueros brought the guitar and left them with the Hawaiians who soon made it an integral part of their music prowess resulting in what is known today as Kiho‘alu or slack key guitar music.

The Espaniola way of singing with touches of falsetto and yodeling intrigued the Hawaiians. The missionary hymns didn't have those breaks and trills. The Hawaiians took up yodeling and refined their falsetto style. Songs were written specifically for the falsetto voice, and in the early 1900's there were falsetto contests throughout the islands.

The Kohala music workshop is a journey of Hawaii's music history. Grammy award winners Cyril Pahinui (son of Gabby), Leabert Lindsey and John Keawe will teach their styles of slack key. Kunia Galdeira will be teaching ukulele classes and Master steel guitarist, Pomaika'i Brown, will teach his craft. Cowboy yodeler Leabert Lindsey and falsetto master, Matthew Kupuka'a are examples of how the vaquero voices were imitated then developed into a unique Hawaiian style. Jack Tottle, a professor at the University of Tennessee will join Matthew Kupukaa in the second session, as he connects the Hawaiian influence on Blue Grass music.

Hula and Singing classes will also be held, concentrating on Kohala songs sung by Kindy Sproat, the Lim Family and Gino & Nino and other songs written by John Keawe, Sarah Pule and Robert Cazimero.

This year, the workshop will concentrate on the Pololu-Niuli'i-Makapala areas with guests staying at the Kohala Guesthouse, Hale Ho'okipa and the Starseed Ranch Hale. The Pololu-Niuli'i-Makapala district is significant as Kohala's name was given by Hawai'iloa as he sailed near Pololu Valley, Kamehameha was whisked from Kokoiki through Pololu and hidden in Awini as a baby, Waiapuka is between Pololu and Niuli'i and early vaqueros made their home in Pololu through Makapala.

The guitar and vaquero music started in this area, and Hawaiian music was perpetuated at Makapala School. Many oldtimers still remember teacher Edwin Lindsey who wrote "Lovely is Kohala". Pololu-Niuli'i-Makapala has produced singers, dancers and song writers, such as Kindy Sproat, Sarah Pule, Matthew Kupuka'a, the Pule Family, the Cazimeros, the Lims, Margaret Moku Tablit and numerous others who somehow connected to Niuli'i. The great Sonny Chillingworth spoke about his time playing with the Niuli'i kids and how it affected his life.

Upon meeting Cyril Pahinui, Johanna Rabang and Lani Akau related their stories of their family ties to Gabby, which means that Cyril can trace his roots to Niuli'i and is probably related to half of Kohala. Cyril's family name was not Pahinui, but Kahahawai. Gabby's uncle was Joseph Kahahawai who was wrongfully accused in the infamous Massie case.

This is not only a music workshop. It is a connection to Kohala, its history and its people. There are two sessions a day with a variety of lessons for each session, except for Sunday. The cost is for the day workshops (housing not included) are $50 for one session (morning or afternoon) or $100 for the day, some meals are included. Scholarship is available.

For more information, please call Lani Eugenio @ 430-0333 or contact lani_live_aloha @ yahoo.com.
OR email me directly at cyril @ cyrilpahinui.com

Cyril Pahinui
cyril.cyrilpahinui.com
Go to Top of Page

cyril
Lokahi

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  08:36:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit cyril's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Friends on Taro Patch,

Just a quick MAHALO NUI to all of you attended or helped with the first Annual He Huakai E Pana Na I Ke Ea -Ka Piko ~Kohala,

Especially MAHALO NUI LOA to the brothers who shared the Papio, Kumu, and huge Opii and to Lani for all of your help getting things set up.

We had a wonderful time and are looking forward to seeing you all there again next year. Check in June 9-10, Kamehameha Day June 11th and workshop 12-14. We have some great inexpensive ($50-$70 per night) accommodations on hold so, please contract me if you are interested in attending.

See you there next year. A hui hou, Cyril

Cyril Pahinui
cyril.cyrilpahinui.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000